What type of bullets, powder, etc?? For new .50

flatheadpatrol

Just got a CVA 209 Optima Mag in .50 cal. Never shot a ML, what should I start out with re: bullets, sabots, powder charge, etc...?

WTM45

I'd start closer to 85g of T7 granular and work up.
That's about the equivalent of 100g of Pyrodex granular.

The MMP black sabots and Hornady XTP's or Speer Gold Dot bullets shoot very well.

Last edited:

Jake Allen

I have had an Optima for a while.
Pretty good luck with:
245 grain Powerbelts
100 grain Triple Seven (2 pellets)
These have produced the most consistent patterns for me.
Fun to shoot and this rifle is easy to keep clean.
Make sure you use good quality scope mounts.
(I wasted alot of money in bullets and powder to figure that one out).

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
I'd start closer to 85g of T7 granular and work up.
That's about the equivilant of 100g of Pyrodex granular.

The MMP black sabots and Hornady XTP's or Speer Gold Dot bullets shoot very well.

I agree with everything he said except for the sabots. My recommendation would be use the Hornday or MMP green sabots.

WTM45

Green sabots are for .44 caliber bullets (.429 - .430). The black are for .45 caliber (.451-.452). That's the only difference.;)

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
WTM45 - you are correct, sir. I prefer the 240 grain .44 caliber Hornady XTPs.

I have also found that the black sabots with .45 caliber bullets were harder to load than the .44 caliber bullets and green sabots. This was in my CVA Firebolt and my T/C Encore.

Scout-N-Hunt

Powder:
American Pioneer Powder sticks for .50cal (no sulphur & super eash cleaning)
or
Hodgdon triple seven .50 cal 50gr pellets

Primers:
Winchester triple seven 209 primers (says for muzzle loading rifles only using Hodgdon triple seven or pyrodex pellets on box)

Bullets/Sabots:
Your choice here, just see what the ML groups best with. I've had luck with the following, observing restrictions when using 150gr powder charge vs 100gr:

CVA Powerbelts in 245gr or 295gr work well in most - except TC ML rifles using 150gr powder charge.
TC Shockwave bullets/sabots in 200gr or 250gr
Barnes Expander MZ in 250gr

I always used 100gr of pyrodex pellets or sticks until 2 years ago. Everyone said you'll get much better accuracy from a 100gr charge instead of the 150gr charge most modern muzzle loaders are rated for. I started using a 150gr charge 2 years ago out of a plain jane TC Omega .50cal with 250gr TC Shockwave bullets/sabots with very good accuracy (cutting holes at 100yds) and about the same accuracy with 150gr powder charge and 250gr. Barnes Expander MZ bullets/sabots.

True, you can feel the difference in recoil, but you'll also see a BIG difference in the way the bullets perform at the higher velocity acheived with 150gr powder charge vs 100gr charge. I never obtain bullet expansion on a deer using the 100gr charge. But you'll see what the bullet is really designed to do on an animal with a 150gr charge.

***I started cleaning with Rusty Duck Black Off a couple of years ago and won't use anything else!***

My .02 cents and worth exactly what you paid for it!

Good Luck,
S-N-H

WTM45

WTM45 - you are correct, sir. I prefer the 240 grain .44 caliber Hornady XTPs.

I have also found that the black sabots with .45 caliber bullets were harder to load than the .44 caliber bullets and green sabots. This was in my CVA Firebolt and my T/C Encore.

Good choice!
I find the black sabots and the .45 XTP/MAG slide down the bore of my Knight nice and easy.:bounce:

jp328

I used to have the optima pro. I used 130gr 777, 2 50 pellets and 1 30gr pellet along with a 245 powerbelt aero tip. 1 '' groups at 100 yards. Shot great. If it wasnt for having an encore, I would still be shooting it.

Dub

Also shooting an Optima Pro. Just using 777 pellets & Powerbelts also. I've always shot 150 grain loads.

Clean up is.....well.....it's clean up.

I may try the American Powder stuff next.

pcsolutions1

ML

Just got a CVA 209 Optima Mag in .50 cal. Never shot a ML, what should I start out with re: bullets, sabots, powder charge, etc...?

Just wanted to make sure that you know, since you said you have never shot a ML, that loose 777 powder is stronger than pellet 777 loads. They did the pellets to be the same basic equivalent as the pyrodex pellets. You have to shoot less loose 777.

Tom

WildcatHunter

i shoot cva kodiak... 150 grain triple 7.... 245 grain power belt... 150 grain has very managable recoil