What's the World Coming to?

Dog Hunter

Southern Steel said:
Do'nt feel guilty anyone. I am sure our taxes are helping to support his little one. Maybe he will leave college after a year for the NFL and help support his son through his taxes. :huh:
You can say that again. That's one of the big problems I have with it. WE (Taxpayers) are paying for the kids not the 2 people that created the child. :mad:

Cypress94

I think the other side of the coin on this is not only the fact that he's a father but the fact that UGA so DESPERATELY needed him as an athlete to represent their school and athletics program. I certainly am not free of mistakes in my life, but if I'm the head football coach of one of the most respected schools in the nation I certainly don't want to field a team of unwed fathers to go out and represent my school, my program and it's values every Saturday. What happened to America, with all these wonderful values that we keep hearing our President speak of? Are we so desperate for entertainment that we are willing to look past how sick and immoral these "athletes" and "superstars" in Hollywood have become just so we can get our jollies? I know when I played ball in highschool, the NUMBER 1 thing my coach expected from us was for us to be classy, to garner the respect of others. Where is that anymore? :(

H

HT2

Cypress.........

Cypress94 said:
I think the other side of the coin on this is not only the fact that he's a father but the fact that UGA so DESPERATELY needed him as an athlete to represent their school and athletics program. I certainly am not free of mistakes in my life, but if I'm the head football coach of one of the most respected schools in the nation I certainly don't want to field a team of unwed fathers to go out and represent my school, my program and it's values every Saturday. What happened to America, with all these wonderful values that we keep hearing our President speak of? Are we so desperate for entertainment that we are willing to look past how sick and immoral these "athletes" and "superstars" in Hollywood have become just so we can get our jollies? I know when I played ball in highschool, the NUMBER 1 thing my coach expected from us was for us to be classy, to garner the respect of others. Where is that anymore? :(
It's all about one thing and one thing only..............

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all that matters to them....... :( :( :(

FootLongDawg

I know when I played ball in high school, the NUMBER 1 thing my coach expected from us was for us to be classy, to garner the respect of others. Where is that anymore? :([/QUOTE]

It's still out there...You will find those teams in last place of their leagues or conferences. :D

Tim.... Not about the money.... Its about WINNING. ... If it was just about money, why that would be just wrong. ::ke: :cheers:

Last edited:

chewie1014

HuntinTom said:
Now that would make for some good discussion in the Spiritual Forum -- Are hidden sins more tolerable to God than public sins that seem to be accepted by the culture...?

Amen Preacher! You said it before I could.

I also find humor in the fact that so many of you have this kid completely figured out, when the only thing any of you know about him was learned in a 30 second conversation on the news. So glad to see so many of us were able to derive abandonment, irresponsibility, public burden, poor parenting, etc. out of him liking to go over and play with his child.

So much more I could type, but I'll hold my tongue.

General Lee

I think the point of my post was missed by many,and I apologize for not making it clearer.Aside frome the social and moral ills that reside in this story(if any according to what one believes) and far be it from me to try and solve the world's problems as such here, the most appalling thing to me was the demeanor of the sportscaster.After asking all the expected questions about the recruiting process right up through signing day,he says something like"I hear other congratulations are in order,you've just become a father."And then the young man holds up a picture of the baby and starts talking about that. :rolleyes:

elmerpud

Hope the Baby's Fast Too

General Lee said:
On our local 6 o'clock news sports segment,they highlighted a young man from Burke County that signed a scholarship today to play football at UGA.They showed all the hoopla at his school signing ceremony,told about how Coach Richt was relieved to get the call this morning that he had signed,and then showed the young man at home sitting on the couch and they were interviewing him.Well smack dab in the middle of this,the sportscaster starts congratulating this 18 yr old senior in high school on RECENTLY BECOMING A FATHER! And the kid holds up a picture of this little baby and starts talking about how he likes to go "over there" and play with it. :crazy:

I Just hope the baby is fast too, we could use him in about 18 years! :fine:

elmerpud

FootLongDawg said:
I know when I played ball in high school, the NUMBER 1 thing my coach expected from us was for us to be classy, to garner the respect of others. Where is that anymore? :(

It's still out there...You will find those teams in last place of their leagues or conferences. :D

Tim.... Not about the money.... Its about WINNING. ... If it was just about money, why that would be just wrong. ::ke: :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Remember I played ball with you, I thought the coach didn't want us to drink before the game. Remember what coach Erk Russell said, "Boys, if your gon'a do it don't get caught." Words to live by. :pop:

Did that girl you get pregnant ever find you??? :banana: :yeah:

Last edited:
H

HT2

Bottom Line........

WINNING = MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The two go hand in hand and that's all that "ANY" major college is concerned with...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The point of mine (and I think General Lee's) was not that the kid got his girlfriend pregnant. It was the sportscaster that treated it like it was just OK and normal. it had no part in the story, it sounded like to me. Contrary to what my father's generation wants us to believe, people have been having sex since creation. It's just that having sex and a baby are not a big deal now, no matter the circumstances.

T

T

FootLongDawg

Ahh... Its great to be a Georgia Bulldawg. You sign a scholarship to play football and introduce your new baby all in the same day. Why wouldn't you want to show a pictue of little "Alphonso" at the press conference?. I get a sense I'm missing the point this thread. :D

Last edited:

GeauxLSU

General Lee said:
"I hear other congratulations are in order,you've just become a father."
That would be disappointing. Did you contact the station? Richt went to great lengths to talk about the 'quality of character' of the new recruits. Let's hope this is a case of 'made a mistake and is trying to do the right thing' which in my book, does equal character. Doesn't excuse the station for glorifying the mistake however. That was unnecessary IMHO.
Such is life in the U.S. and with the media in 2005. Hunt/fish safely,
Phil