Say what you want about Meyer but

riprap

and yet he didn't take near the amount of criticism for quitting at UF for health reasons and then bolting for OSU that Saban did( or Petrino either for that matter).

I tried. Don't forget wanting to spend time with his family. 1 yr...

Madsnooker

One statement you made caught my eye and I wanted to get some perspective on it. Would you agree Richt was or was not a leader among men? If you think yes, what do you think was his major obstacle(s) with getting over the hump? And yes, it's a serious question. Not trying to turn this into a mud throwing match by any stretch. :cheers:

First, let me say, I was in the minority with regards to letting CMR go. He was 5 yds from winning a NC a few years ago and I think he is a great coach. I think we are already seeing the early stages of what he can do in Miami.

With that said, Yes, he was a leader among men no doubt, but he was unique, as it seemed he cared way more about the player, than with winning it all. In other words, he was concerned more with the players future in life, than if they won a title, and the same could be said about his coaches as he was so loyal to them. I remember once when he was questioned about falling short, he said something to the fact that, he didn't measure his success in NC's, but in how he prepared young men for life.

I think Meyer and Saban also care about their players, but they are driven to be the absolute best and winning the title is first and foremost, then, the players are a close second. I truly believe Richt didn't care what others thought of him, based on if he won a championship or not, he was first about the players, then second about being the best in the country. I think because of that, sometimes his teams didn't have that killer instinct that it took to finally get over the top year in and year out. I think his teams took on his personality and it wasn't about crushing people. The same can't be said about Meyer and Saban. That's why, after Bama wins by multiple scores, Saban is still screaming at people because, although they won, the mistakes will cost them down the road. I think its why Meyer had his issues at UF. I do think Meyer got a better perspective after the UF fiasco, and I really believe he is even a better coach today, with regards to the balance of winning and molding young men for life.

Again, I think Richt is a great coach with a great perspective on life.

I will add this one last thought, I have no idea about Kirby Smart, other than he can draw up a good defensive scheme. With that said, CMR left a much more talented UGA team than the UM team he inherited (also 2 best players kicked of team after he got there) but if the 2 teams played against each other in a bowl at the end of this season, based on what I have seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised to see UM win the game.;)

CamoDawg85

I'm picking up what you're putting down Snook. Always liked the man and always will. Can't argue with your last statement either