Say what you want about Meyer but

Madsnooker

Reading thru the thread about Richt not leaving Kirby much (some funny stuff), and whats going on at LSU and USC, made me glad he is the Captain of the OSU ship!!!

All I know is, the Dude took the same team, that was the worst team (6-7) in 100 years at OSU, and went 12-0 his first year, and would have mud-holed ND, if they could have played them for the NC. No, they were not as good as Bama that year, but my point is, coaching made 100% of the difference from year to year.

Anyone that has watched any of the segments on Meyer, that have been done in the last year by ESPN, and even better by Big10 network, about what he brought to OSU, and his philosophy on coaching, understands how far ahead he is, than any other coach not named Nick.

Here is some of what Meyer does. This was copied from an article about Meyer and what he implemented at OSU.

"Color-coordinating a ‘Plan to Win’

The key component of the Plan to Win is what he has named his Blue-Red-Gold (BRG) incentive system. Three color-coded stages – Blue, Red, and Gold – represent a ladder of privileges climbed by players as they display mature behavior both on the field and off.

As Meyer explained in a 2012 Columbus Dispatch article:

Blue stands for child, which means ill-equipped, defiant, disinterested. So if you’re in blue, we don’t think very highly of you, and we make that very clear. And every freshman who comes into the program is blue, for example… Guys who are red get nicer gear. If they want to change numbers, if they want to get a visor, if they want to move off campus, the answer for them then is maybe. You get up to gold, you do what you’ve got to do because gold means you’re a grown man. We don’t tell you when to study, things like that. Gold means you deserve to be treated like a man.
The BRG system is a comprehensive player motivation method that contains a variety of inputs and outcomes. Meyer and his coaches closely monitor player adherence to academic demands and behavioral expectations across all status levels, with meaningful rewards bestowed for appropriate behavior – alongside swift consequences for infractions.

Transitions in status (up or down) are handled by the entire coaching staff, who meet as a group every week to discuss player progress and deliberate possible transitions. When the coaches decide to promote a player, an announcement is made to the entire team in the form of a “graduation ceremony” that recognizes the player’s newfound “status.”

Transforming performance on – and off – the field

The BRG incentive-based system mirrors the rites of passage conceptual framework discussed earlier.

Blue can be equated with the status of a young child and, as such, beginning movement out of this status parallels the “separation” component of the rite of passage.

In turn, red is equated with a middle stage, similar to the “betwixt and between” state of adolescence that is marked by a “transformative” stage of development.

Finally, gold status represents the adult stage of development and all of the privileges and responsibilities associated with this marker of full maturity.

Meyer’s BRG system is so successful because the expectations are clear about what it means to grow up in the eyes of the coaching staff, and the behaviors that players must enact in order to achieve that status are well-defined.

When everyone’s on the same page off the field, it makes it easier to work as a cohesive unit – and win – on the field.

A recipe for success in sports – and all walks of life

Simultaneously, there is an explicit recognition that coaches serve as powerful male role models for their players.

For example, Meyer regularly hosts Family Night dinners so that players are exposed to the coaches and how they act around their loved ones.

There is a more spiritual component to this work as well, with various community engagement activities centered on “setting the table” for players to understand the importance of living a life in service to things greater than themselves.

Coaches who use ceremonies to mark player transitions mine a tradition that honors and recognizes accomplishment. For generations, various forms of promotions and recognition have been used to inspire athletes, soldiers and students alike.

Simply put, it’s a formula that works, and these rituals and rewards carry great psychological meaning for individuals." http://theconversation.com/the-secret-to-a-college-football-coachs-success-46916

This gives more insight into Meyers Black stripe policy as well. Until a player gets his Black stripe removed, they can never play one down in a game. There are players that didn't get their black stripe removed for 2 years.

Also, his 9 unit strong philosophy is brilliant when you read about it and how it is structured. Its so far ahead of how most coaches approach each unit of their teams.

By the way, last year when asked how he has been so successful in his first year as Houston's coach, Herman said it was simple, he brought a culture implemented by his previous head coach, and immediately implemented it at Houston.

You guys can argue all you want about recruiting classes and what talent UGA may or may not have, if Kirby doesn't have what it takes to be a leader among men, he won't succeed at UGA no mater how many 5*s he recruits!!!;)

Last edited:

riprap

I think Urban has a few years on Kirby in head coaching experience. Ole Miss is a very good team who will make several more teams look like UGA this year.

Scott G

Banned
IMO Meyer and Saban are currently the 2 best head coaches in the nation. To compare anyone 4 games into their rookie year as a head coach is about as biased and unfair as it gets.

Gold Ranger

I think Urban has a few years on Kirby in head coaching experience. Ole Miss is a very good team who will make several more teams look like UGA this year.

What was scary was the lack of adjustments by UGA after halftime.

Gold Ranger

IMO Meyer and Saban are currently the 2 best head coaches in the nation. To compare anyone 4 games into their rookie year as a head coach is about as biased and unfair as it gets.

He was compared favorably to Saban 0 games into his career by many a Dawg fan.

Scott G

Banned
He was compared favorably to Saban 0 games into his career by many a Dawg fan.

Many a dawg fan said it would take him a while to prove himself.

Wow, I didn't have to quote anyone or anything. Making blanket statements is easier than I thought!:bounce:

Gold Ranger

Many a dawg fan said it would take him a while to prove himself.

Wow, I didn't have to quote anyone or anything. Making blanket statements is easier than I thought!:bounce:

They didn't say it as loud, though.

I didn't say anything about knowledgeable Dawg fans.

Madsnooker

That wasn't the point of my thread?:huh: I didn't compare Kirby to anyone.

Scott G

Banned
That wasn't the point of my thread?:huh: I didn't compare Kirby to anyone.

So your long post about Meyer being a leader finished off with the quote below wasn't your attempt at a comparison? facepalm:

You guys can argue all you want about recruiting classes and what talent UGA may or may not have, if Kirby doesn't have what it takes to be a leader among men, he won't succeed at UGA no mater how many 5*s he recruits!!!;)

Amoo

I don't think it's any secret to anybody that Saban, Meyer, Carroll and Kelly (Chip) are the best coaches we've had in college football for the last 15 years or so. I didn't think there was a discussion to be had here about it honestly as there really isn't much to debate.

Now if we want to sit down and rank those 4, then I can see there being a really spirited debate, but in regards to Meyer being one of the best, there is no conversation to be had because it's a statistical fact at this point.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
and yet he didn't take near the amount of criticism for quitting at UF for health reasons and then bolting for OSU that Saban did( or Petrino either for that matter).

Madsnooker

So your long post about Meyer being a leader finished off with the quote below wasn't your attempt at a comparison? facepalm:

No.

I just made a point about him. I have no idea if he has what it takes?:huh: I have not followed him for even 1 second.

Lets read what I said again?

"You guys can argue all you want about recruiting classes and what talent UGA may or may not have, if Kirby doesn't have what it takes to be a leader among men, he won't succeed at UGA no mater how many 5*s he recruits!!!"

I don't see any comparison what so ever in that statement?:huh: Your just reading it thru your pup glasses. facepalm:

Let me help you a little. You pup fans are arguing about how Richt left the cupboard bare, so my point in the statement was, no mater how many 5*s Kirby gets in the FUTURE, he won't succeed as a head coach if he can't lead those men, like the way Urban is doing by what he implemented with the BRG incentive program, among many other very insightful things.

If you think for a minute that what Herman is doing with a bunch of 3*s in Houston is because only of his x's and o's, your sadly mistaken.

Can Kirby make UGA a powerhouse? I have no earthly idea. It is to early in his coaching career!!! Maybe this will help you with your assumption of my statement about Kirby?:huh:

Madsnooker

I don't think it's any secret to anybody that Saban, Meyer, Carroll and Kelly (Chip) are the best coaches we've had in college football for the last 15 years or so. I didn't think there was a discussion to be had here about it honestly as there really isn't much to debate.

I didn't think anyone would read this thread and think I was debating that as well?:huh: I was just pointing out how great it is to have Meyer as the coach of my team, and since there was much debate about Kirby and his coaching and recruiting abilities, it will all be for not if he is not a leader of men. I don't care how good someone is at x's and o's, if he is not a LEADER he will not succeed in the end. And that goes for any application in life. Show me a top Business, organization, team, etc. You will find a born leader running it.

John Cooper was as good a recruiter as anyone, and had as talented a team from 95-98 as anyone in the nation and he couldn't get them over the top. There were many well documented issues in the locker room, and his inability to get his team to play at a high level, when it mattered most, was painful to watch!!!

SpotandStalk

What Snook meant to say was........if Kirby will adopt the BRG, he will win championships.

brownceluse

Meyer like him or not is one heck of a HC. He's proven that. I don't care for him but if he was the HC at UGA I would be a fan. I will not make this thread about Kirby or UGA regardless of what the OP thinks about other thread.

CamoDawg85

I didn't think anyone would read this thread and think I was debating that as well?:huh: I was just pointing out how great it is to have Meyer as the coach of my team, and since there was much debate about Kirby and his coaching and recruiting abilities, it will all be for not if he is not a leader of men. I don't care how good someone is at x's and o's, if he is not a LEADER he will not succeed in the end. And that goes for any application in life. Show me a top Business, organization, team, etc. You will find a born leader running it.....

Snook, good article. Urban definitely knows what he's doing. Like Brown, I'm not a fan of Urban or how he handles his business but there's no denying he's at/near the top in the coaching ranks. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of where OSU's program is vs UGA's. Hopefully in 2/3 years we'll be in the hunt.

One statement you made caught my eye and I wanted to get some perspective on it. Would you agree Richt was or was not a leader among men? If you think yes, what do you think was his major obstacle(s) with getting over the hump? And yes, it's a serious question. Not trying to turn this into a mud throwing match by any stretch. :cheers:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The guy can coach, no doubt about that.

Geffellz18

A little long winded.....but there's no denying his level of talent and coachability.
To me, he's almost at the level of CNS, almost! ::ke: