what gives with the modern attitude to organized school sports?

StriperrHunterr

Wow,I guess some of you are against diplomas for pre-schoolers too.

Yes. They didn't give them out when I was a kid and we turned out no worse than the generation before us.

So far the generation that HAS given out trivialities like that has produced Occupy and other "gimme" movements.

the HEED!

Banned
Heed, stick around that PF long enough and they will show you how to give up when the chips are down.:bounce: I think some of those guys played the flute in high school:stir:

why are you talking about two different things at once? Do you have a crush on those boys over there? LOL::ke:

I could care less what they really think, we all get the right to express our opinion, who cares who likes it and who doesnt?:whip:

the HEED!

Banned
Yes. They didn't give them out when I was a kid and we turned out no worse than the generation before us.

So far the generation that HAS given out trivialities like that has produced Occupy and other "gimme" movements.

amen, success is earned, not passed out

sinclair1

yeah well, to each his own right? Like I said Im ok with people not being into sports too.

Also, one may infer reading your and my opinions is wasting their life away, maybe being on the forum is wasting your life away to some people, see what Im saying?
That's true, but you can learn about life thru interaction, even if it's not face to face. I don't really see the point of dribblin though. That's like sitting around hitting one another and yelling flinch.

I have both parents and the family pet with one foot on a banana peel, and it really puts things that are important to the front.

Not to mention, I am working :bounce:

sinclair1

why are you talking about two different things at once? Do you have a crush on those boys over there? LOL::ke:

I could care less what they really think, we all get the right to express our opinion, who cares who likes it and who doesnt?:whip:
I can't stay on topic, that's why I like your threads.

j_seph

has it ever crossed your mind that people learn character through sports and become close with family in doing so? So carrying kids to ball games and practice, sitting in bleachers equals becoming close with family how?

By the way, theres competition in life other than in sports, is supposed to teach drive, not quitting.Time wasted at practice and games could be put into knowledge. If your smart enough know enough there is no competition!

Obviously there are two different schools of thought in this thread.
Thoughts

StriperrHunterr

It doesn't equal it, it provides another possible conduit. The choice is still up to the individuals.

Adulthood is competitive, youth sports teaches how to handle sportsmanship when you when, and how to deal with the adversity of loss.

I doubt that anyone has ever won everything they have ever struggled for. Maybe it was a lost promotion, or job opportunity, or maybe your savings had to go to something other than the vacation you had intended it for.

Learning how to overcome that adversity is a vital lesson to young men and women. Sure, it could be taught elsewhere, but sports are a decent place, too.

Wild Turkey

How about the parents who think their kid is a Div 1 player when they are really a D2-D3 player. Never would I tell a player of any sport to wait till the end of their senior year to make a scholarship commitment.
Fact; Div 1 schools sign their players in their junior year. Typically finding them and watching them from freshman-sophmore years. Rarely if never in senior year.
D2 and D3 schools typically sign their players right after new years senior year. After that they ignore seniors and look back at younger players.

My youngest is sparking Div 1 interest at age 14. If she continues on her path she will be signed by junior year.

the HEED!

Banned

the HEED!

Banned
How about the parents who think their kid is a Div 1 player when they are really a D2-D3 player. Never would I tell a player of any sport to wait till the end of their senior year to make a scholarship commitment.
Fact; Div 1 schools sign their players in their junior year. Typically finding them and watching them from freshman-sophmore years. Rarely if never in senior year.
D2 and D3 schools typically sign their players right after new years senior year. After that they ignore seniors and look back at younger players.

My youngest is sparking Div 1 interest at age 14. If she continues on her path she will be signed by junior year.

He just finished his junior year and is in scout league ball after the school summer tourney ends, He is right on track.

j_seph

It doesn't equal it, it provides another possible conduit. The choice is still up to the individuals.

Adulthood is competitive, youth sports teaches how to handle sportsmanship when you when, and how to deal with the adversity of loss.

I doubt that anyone has ever won everything they have ever struggled for. Maybe it was a lost promotion, or job opportunity, or maybe your savings had to go to something other than the vacation you had intended it for.

Learning how to overcome that adversity is a vital lesson to young men and women. Sure, it could be taught elsewhere, but sports are a decent place, too.
Then therefore I read this as it is okay to lose as long as you learn how to overcome the loss and handle it. Cause there are loses throughout life and struggles so if you win all the time you never learn none of that. Again therefore it is okay to come in 2nd as long as you learn from it and build off the losing aspect not the winning aspect because you cannot win them all. Only try hard to win

the HEED!

Banned
Then therefore I read this as it is okay to lose as long as you learn how to overcome the loss and handle it. Cause there are loses throughout life and struggles so if you win all the time you never learn none of that. Again therefore it is okay to come in 2nd as long as you learn from it and build off the losing aspect not the winning aspect because you cannot win them all. Only try hard to win

in the immortal words of Al Davis: JUST WIN BABY!

the HEED!

Banned

in the immortal words of Al Davis: JUST WIN BABY!

By the way, I'd be suspect of anybody thats okay with being the loser.

StriperrHunterr

I am having a hard time with the way this is phrased, so I'll lay out my philosophy instead.

You should strive to succeed in everything you do, but do not berate yourself if you fail; rather learn from it and apply it to future endeavors.

There is no shame in losing, provided you tried your best and just came up short; but there is also no honor in a victory resultant from cheating or bad sportsmanship.

This teaches the lessons of investing time and energy in becoming the best you can be at something; acknowledges that, while there is the best person on the planet at doing X, you are likely not them; and lays the groundwork for coming to terms with a well-fought loss.

Those 3 items are simple facts of adult life, and can be taught without much consequence, in the microcosm of a youth T-ball, or football, or dodgeball, game.

Wild Turkey

A very respected college coach once told me something about how he looks at potential recruits.
He said he isnt looking for the rockstar player. He's looking for the good player that has the right attitude who can be coached easily and become the player he needs.
The rockstar player can be hardheaded and typically doesnt accept coaching well becoming a problem over time.