What's your loadout?

brittthomas

Just curious to see what everyone carries out in the woods with them when they're chasing after turkeys. I take:

On me: RedHead vest, (1) box call, (2) mouth calls, multi tool, razor blaze knife, binos, compass, map, snake gaiters, Glock 19 with (1) mag of shotshells and (1) mag of Hornady Critical Duty, and a New Haven/Mossberg 600at I got for cheap and converted to a turkey gun. Of course I also have turkey shells, camo clothing, boots and a hat.

In my backpack: Water, snacks, first-aid kit, TP, wet wipes, roll of small trash bags, extra socks, rain gear, para cord, a tarp and a Gerber Prodigy.

242outdoors

Banned
I never hunt more than a quarter mile from where I park and I'm usually only 2 or 3 miles from home or a neighbors house. I take pretty much the essentials to kill one like shells and a gun and a couple calls. I usually take a decoy even though it's not needed all the time.

brittthomas

I never hunt more than a quarter mile from where I park and I'm usually only 2 or 3 miles from home or a neighbors house. I take pretty much the essentials to kill one like shells and a gun and a couple calls. I usually take a decoy even though it's not needed all the time.

I wish my hunting spots were that close. The lease I hunt is a 30 min ride from my house on a bare stretch of highway. If I hunt public land, I gotta go WAAAYYY into Dixon Memorial by foot to find any good hunting.

Core Lokt

gun
5 shells
pocket knife
3 mouth calls
1 box call
Few wraps of striking paper
seat cushion (when i can remember it)

sman

Just curious to see what everyone carries out in the woods with them when they're chasing after turkeys. I take:

On me: RedHead vest, (1) box call, (2) mouth calls, multi tool, razor blaze knife, binos, compass, map, snake gaiters, Glock 19 with (1) mag of shotshells and (1) mag of Hornady Critical Duty, and a New Haven/Mossberg 600at I got for cheap and converted to a turkey gun. Of course I also have turkey shells, camo clothing, boots and a hat.

In my backpack: Water, snacks, first-aid kit, TP, wet wipes, roll of small trash bags, extra socks, rain gear, para cord, a tarp and a Gerber Prodigy.

2 mags full....what the heck are you expecting? First aid kit and all?

I must seriously be missing something. A lot of times I grab a mouth call and my gun.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I read the initial question in the op and it just made me think back and laugh. I remember day's when I'd leave the truck with a full backpack on my back, shotgun over my back, big winter camo jacket with 10 pockets all filled and pouring out with gadgets, decoy's under one armpit, pop up blind under the other armpit, egg mcmuffin in one hand, energy drink in the other.
I'd hear a break of dawn gobble and I'd set out towords it!!!

Then three hours later I'm on the other side of 3 thousand acres with my shotgun in my hands, wearing a t-shirt, and 1 mouth call!!! Ha ha and I'm trying to remember my tracks so I can regain all my crap that's somewhere between I don't know where I am and my truck!!!!

I don't pack anything much anymore.

chefrific

My tat'r II vest, a few mouth calls. One slate, one glass. Thermocell and water.
Gun or crossbow depending.

MKW

Mouth call, trumpet, Thermacell, loaded shotgun, and cushion.

Mike

boothy

I hunt public land with a lot of hilly terrain. Some days I can cover 6 plus miles. So I carry quite a bit.

Gun ammo
calls
gloves
mask
water
food
knife
parachord
compass
map
TP
Lighter
Headlamp
batteries

extra socks

NCMTNHunter

Shotgun
Shells
3 mouth call
1 slate call
Crow call
Knife
Lunch
2 bottles of water
Fire Starting kit
Inflatable decoy
Tp
Binos
Flashlight

SC Hunter

Shotgun loaded
a few mouth calls
thermacell
maybe a water bottle
facemask
always have a knife in my pocket

When I first started I called a whole lot of stuff and it got left behind quick.

cracker4112

Always have a pocket knife and my license

Shotgun
4 shells
TP
several mouth calls
gobbler lounger with water bottle holder and rifle sling
Thermocell clipped to sling
gloves and face mask
couple power bars or something

pot call and strikers - sometimes
compass - sometimes
cap light - rarely

spydermon

Turkey hunting or on a boy scout adventure?

brittthomas

Turkey hunting or on a boy scout adventure?

When you get stranded in the woods for two days and are 20 miles from the nearest highway, you tend to think of things you wish you had. Since then, I've been known to take precautions. What I carry is nothing. One of my friends I got stranded with that weekend carries a 80l mountain pack with him slap full of stuff like he's going on a week long hike.

First aid kit and all?

I must seriously be missing something. A lot of times I grab a mouth call and my gun.

You must be. My 11 yr old is with me most of the time, so I like to take every reasonable precaution I can. I hope you don't carry your child/children out in the woods with that "devil may care" attitude. That would be horrible if something happened to you or them and didn't have any means to treat an injury.

I thought everyone had enough common sense to keep a first aid kit handy.

Sounds like he is hunting on 8 mile in Detroit and midnight. :shoot:

As far as the (2) mags for my pistol go, like I said, ones got (10) rds of shotshells for snakes if needed. I try my best to avoid them if possible. The other mag has regular pistol rds in it for wild hogs/dogs.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

I also carry one of them inflatable raft in my backpack. A snoopy fishen pole and tackle. A little fold-up shovel to use as a oar also. Portable radio with batterys & 2 flash lites. 2 bic liters.:cheers: