When's time to change something up?

dhardy87

Alright gents, I am trapping my own place so I can't totally move out but I haven't had any activity at my traps don't look like since that one got dug up a week or so ago. They have been out for about 2 weeks. Do I rebait, remake the trap sets or just completely move them. I had to move 2 off the fields edge and holy smokes those earth stakes are hard to get out. Any tricks to getting them up? I feel like they are in good areas with sign around but haven't had any catches. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Doug B.

Is there fresh sign there still? If the coyotes are still using where your traps are then you are not getting their attention either with bait/lure or eye appeal. If there is no fresh sign then you might want to look for where they are making sign and set there.

The best way I have found to pull earth anchors is with a drill and a 2" auger bit. Drill down next to the anchor and then pull. If it is still hard to pull then drill down beside it on the other side of the anchor.

sportsman94

Did your bait or lure get worked or just your traps originally? What are you using for bait and lure? I know folks say that if you are on location then Bait or lure doesn’t matter. I disagree with that unless you are great at blocking and/or trap placement. I’ve seen too often where lures and baits of mediocre attraction elicit a one step, one sniff response. I’m not that good. I need something they will work heavily and dig for which causes them to put their feet All over instead of just one step in the pattern. As for pulling stakes, all mine are attached using either -#7 chain or 1/8” cable. Both can be pulled with the truck which makes life way easier. I also pull using the method Doug mentioned depending on the soil conditions. I just pulled my last 18 or so land sets today and would have been cussing the whole time if I had to dig.

I seem to have better luck with moving the set completely rather than adding fresh lure, but I’ve done it all the ways you mentioned.

canine933

Alright gents, I am trapping my own place so I can't totally move out but I haven't had any activity at my traps don't look like since that one got dug up a week or so ago. They have been out for about 2 weeks. Do I rebait, remake the trap sets or just completely move them. I had to move 2 off the fields edge and holy smokes those earth stakes are hard to get out. Any tricks to getting them up? I feel like they are in good areas with sign around but haven't had any catches. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Some of mine have set out three weeks before making a catch. I do freshen up the urine after a couple of weeks sometimes. Invest in a stake puller to get the super stakes up. There are other methods to pull them but I found the stake puller is the simplest.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My first trapping experience I really took my time and done everything right that I knew to do . After 8 days and maybe 6 coons and possums I finally caught my first coyote in a trap that hadn’t been touched. 2 days later I caught 2 . I also use the super stakes with chain and live in hard clay country . If I tried to pull them with my truck I’d break everyone of them . I just dig them up with hole digger’s

Doug B.

Did your bait or lure get worked or just your traps originally? What are you using for bait and lure? I know folks say that if you are on location then Bait or lure doesn’t matter. I disagree with that unless you are great at blocking and/or trap placement. I’ve seen too often where lures and baits of mediocre attraction elicit a one step, one sniff response. I’m not that good. I need something they will work heavily and dig for which causes them to put their feet All over instead of just one step in the pattern. As for pulling stakes, all mine are attached using either -#7 chain or 1/8” cable. Both can be pulled with the truck which makes life way easier. I also pull using the method Doug mentioned depending on the soil conditions. I just pulled my last 18 or so land sets today and would have been cussing the whole time if I had to dig.

I seem to have better luck with moving the set completely rather than adding fresh lure, but I’ve done it all the ways you mentioned.
This 100%! I want a set to keep him moving and stepping until he is caught with the exception of a blind or trail set. If I have a bait that keeps him dancing around while he is working the set, the chances of him stepping on the pan is much greater!
As canine933 said, I have had a trap set for weeks finally catch. Sometimes if I have other trap close by, I will just leave one set that hasn't had any action. I have caught several coyotes that way!

Doug B.

My first trapping experience I really took my time and done everything right that I knew to do . After 8 days and maybe 6 coons and possums I finally caught my first coyote in a trap that hadn’t been touched. 2 days later I caught 2 . I also use the super stakes with chain and live in hard clay country . If I tried to pull them with my truck I’d break everyone of them . I just dig them up with hole digger’s
I remember your first one and it may have been eight days. But it seems like it was only three or four days as I think back. I know you know for sure how long it was! It seems like you caught several just in a few days time!

dhardy87

I'm using cavens predator bait in the dirt hole and cavens yodel dog for gland lure around the set. The hole got worked when the trap got dug up.

dhardy87

Is there fresh sign there still? If the coyotes are still using where your traps are then you are not getting their attention either with bait/lure or eye appeal. If there is no fresh sign then you might want to look for where they are making sign and set there.

The best way I have found to pull earth anchors is with a drill and a 2" auger bit. Drill down next to the anchor and then pull. If it is still hard to pull then drill down beside it on the other side of the anchor.
I've saw others that say they use eye appeal. What exactly is that?

Doug B.

Anything that will draw them to the set because they can see it. Fresh dirt, white bone, a rock (preferably large and whitish), I have even used a large styrofoam cup that had been thrown down (I'm not condoning throwing trash out in the woods) turned upside down on a stick stuck in the ground to get their attention and pique their curiosity to draw them to the set!

Doug B.

Don't be afraid to "make" a set.

This is a farmers field. Straight behind the coyotes tail is a field road between crops and a hayfield. The rock you can see there was not originally there. I put it there. It is at an intersection with another field road that is at a right angle directly in front of the coyote. I put the rock about where the trap is on the coyotes foot. I put a dirthole with the rock covering it. Bait in the hole and gland lure under the edge of the rock. The coyote moved the rock after he was caught.
Screenshot_20230102_173406_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230102_174542_Gallery.jpg
Sometimes I will "plant" clumps of broom sage to make a walk through scent post set. Again, don't be afraid to "make" a set so they see it and investigate it. If that draws them to the set then the bait and lure will take over and do its job!

Doug B.

Don't be afraid to "make" a set.

This is a farmers field. Straight behind the coyotes tail is a field road between crops and a hayfield. The rock you can see there was not originally there. I put it there. It is at an intersection with another field road that is at a right angle directly in front of the coyote. I put the rock about where the trap is on the coyotes foot. I put a dirthole with the rock covering it. Bait in the hole and gland lure under the edge of the rock. The coyote moved the rock after he was caught.
View attachment 1200419
View attachment 1200420
Sometimes I will "plant" clumps of broom sage to make a walk through scent post set. Again, don't be afraid to "make" a set so they see it and investigate it. If that draws them to the set then the bait and lure will take over and do its job!
Sometimes I will take a shovel and pile up a bunch of dirt. I call it a dirt mound set. I use that as backing and set my trap at the base of the mound with dirthole in the mound. All of this is eye appeal!

I thought I had a picture of this set but I do not. I will take a picture of this set after tomorrow's rain!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Just don’t be scared to make a set No matter how you make them some will work and some won’t. Study both types and look for the little nuances that made the set work or not.

sportsman94

I used to “make” a lot of sets and caught all kinds of critters. In my efforts to get better I read a study saying a high percentage of coyotes at neophobic and would be scared of new relatively unnatural items in their paths. I stopped making sets as blatant as I used to and I’m too dumb to go back yet. Now if I bring a bone in I will half bury it. My thoughts are I want the coyote to think he found something, not that aliens had dropped something off. I’m saying that to say don’t listen to the studies if what you see on the line is different. I probably don’t catch any more critters by burying stuff, but I don’t feel like I catch any less either. So whatever style you find you should just stick with it

I’ve never used the bait you mentioned, but it sounds like the coyote got a mouthful of it and satisfied his curiosity. I’d probably go to something more natural like deer or rabbit and see if that helps. At least if he doesn’t get caught he’ll most likely want to eat whatever is in there.

I was amazed this summer when I started testing lures and baits that I thought were good or other people said were good and they don’t do anything for me besides a one sniff or every 8th pass. There would be lures right beside them that got hit every time the coyotes passed so it wasn’t just that they weren’t in the mood. Now is a great time to test what you have even if you’re just punching mock holes at the local wma/pfa ot state park

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I remember your first one and it may have been eight days. But it seems like it was only three or four days as I think back. I know you know for sure how long it was! It seems like you caught several just in a few days time!
Yes after the first one I caught 11 in a few weeks . I know everyone says they’ll move back in but I caught about that many more the next year and I hardly ever get a picture of one anymore on my trail cameras .

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
No trapped coyotes, but have left my snares out over 2 weeks. They tend to run a circuit here hunting