Which game laws have you broken

Which laws have you broken

• Hunting without orange

Votes: 265 66.4%
  • Hunting without permission (include hunting from roads, etc)

Votes: 90 22.6%
  • Hunting out of season (rifle during black powder, does on buck only, etc)

Votes: 44 11.0%
  • Killing over the bag limit

Votes: 66 16.5%
  • Hunting over bait where it is not legal

Votes: 114 28.6%
  • Killing a critter outside legal shooting hours (such as 35 minutes before sunrise)

Votes: 95 23.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 92 23.1%

• Total voters

Blackston

My motto used to be “ we will just act like we got permission “... A little name dropping and a little property info ..... you’d be surprised how well it worked.. But when I came to the river as a boy daddy was a shrimper and when winter time came anything went .... I got some good tales for the fire ?

Last edited:

sghoghunter

My motto used to be “ we will just act like we got permission “... A little name dropping and a little property info ..... you’d be surprised how well it worked.. But when I came to the river as a boy daddy was a shrimper and when winter time came anything went .... I got some good tales for the fire ?

Mine use to be it's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Hillbilly stalker

I don’t have memory of using a ferret. My uncles fussed so bad trying to dig that ground hog out it’s still pretty vivid.:bounce:
We used to dig ground hogs out. Till we figured out a 8 ft piece of garden hose and a bottle of gas would fume him out. My uncles would carry a ferret in one of them woven trout baskets, put him down in a rabbit hole and cover it with a croker sack, you better lean to the side cause that rabbit would bust your nose flying out of that hole. :rofl:

Sixes

I saw a guy argue until he was blue in the face that his button buck that was shot on opening day (late 80s) a before daylight should win our first buck of the year contest..

I saw a lot of illegal stuff in that club. Night hunting, over the limits,does on buck only days, arrows shot out of shotguns, baiting and my favorite was the guy that killed 5 does with a rifle in one morning when the limit was 3 either sex and 2 extra BOW ONLY does. He had killed 2 does and a turkey the morning before.

I was a teenager and scared to break the laws, but I saw a lot of wrong activity.

Too bad that I don't remember anyone's name from back then.;)

Sixes

There is no telling how many squirrels that I murdered on summer break from school. I never knew there was a season until I was older and my Dad hated squirrels and didn't care if I killed every one in the community any day of the year. He is still like that but now he hates deer along with squirrels, the deer play havoc on his garden to the point that he has about gave up on growing one.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Wearing orange all the time is my worst, I am in a box house.....why.

In my younger days straying over a property line, county line, state line during turkey season was expected. Course then not many folks that turkey hunted and land owners were a little more forgiving.

chris41081

I have never shot a deer at night or out of season. If I was broke and my family was hungry, I wouldn't hesitate to. Orange vests are a different story, and a few other things that will remain unmentioned. I may not have always followed the letter of the law but I do believe in being ethical and respect for nature.

The biggest game laws in the state that I have heard of people breaking is shooting more than 2 bucks a season. Its unbelievable how "accepted" this is across the state. And I will be honest in saying that is is mostly people 50 years of age an older who I am aware of that are breaking this law because they feel it is accepted since that "how they always did things"...."Oh it doesn't matter that lease is a long ways from home" "I only kill 2 bucks per lease" I have heard all the excuses. The days of the south Georgia good old boys deer clubs must have been something to witness...I am glad I missed it because there would have been altercation.

The second buck to have 4 on a side rule is completely out the window in this state. Know that. Guys are literally killing everything and using family members tags on those second, spikes and 4 pointers they are shooting... It sickens me.

Why break the law and shoot a 3rd buck or more when you can kill 10 does legally? It just doesnt make any sense. But to some of those old soggies from the good old days the amount of bucks a guy kills is nothing more than a measuring competition. I have no doubt that there are a lot of those old boys reading this post right now...

Turning in poachers and people breaking the law is the only way a sportsman can help to stop it.

S.P.O.R.T.- Sportsmen Policing Our Ranks Together

Last edited:

Buckman18

The biggest game laws in the state that I have seen people break is shooting more than 2 bucks a season. Its unbelievable how "accepted" this is across the state. And I will be honest in saying that is is mostly people 50 years of age an older who I am aware of that are breaking this law because they feel it is accepted since that how they always did things....

The second buck to have 4 on a side rule is out the window. know that. Guys are literally killing everything and using family members tags. It sickens me.

My goodness, what kind of rogue's do you have as friends?

Personally I have never broken the law in Georgia. My hunting privileges are too important to me.

Might want to rethink this one. See above. Sounds like a case could be made for aiding and abetting for not turning in your friends who you know are criminals.

Wayne D Davis

I'll confess on breaking laws not on the list. I hunted while drinking. I actually did everything from waking to bed time drinking. But idon't drink anymore. Occasionally I'll pull my orange if I'm 30 ft up with good cover but after seeing the results of this poll and hearing of horror stories I'm rethinking that

#1 They were not my friends.

#2 I made DNR aware of the situations.

#3 I edited my comment to say "Heard" not personally seen or witnessed.

Buckman18

Personally I have never broken the law in Georgia. My hunting privileges are too important to me.

#1 They were not my friends.

#2 I made DNR aware of the situations.

#3 I edited my comment to say "Heard" not personally seen or witnessed.

Bearing false witness is also a crime.

BeerThirty

Is the drinking thing actually a law? The way I read it, you cannot be intoxicated, which means you can still do it but just not be over the legal limit.

Here's what I have done in my past:

I have trespassed to retrieve a deer

I have hunted after legal hours but not more than 5-10 minutes

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Is the drinking thing actually a law? The way I read it, you cannot be intoxicated, which means you can still do it but just not be over the legal limit.

Here's what I have done in my past:

I have trespassed to retrieve a deer

I have hunted after legal hours but not more than 5-10 minutes

I guess it depends on if you are hunting from a stand or your pickup truck :)

Really, I think it's only illegal while intoxicated.