Which game laws have you broken

Which laws have you broken

• Hunting without orange

Votes: 265 66.4%
  • Hunting without permission (include hunting from roads, etc)

Votes: 90 22.6%
  • Hunting out of season (rifle during black powder, does on buck only, etc)

Votes: 44 11.0%
  • Killing over the bag limit

Votes: 66 16.5%
  • Hunting over bait where it is not legal

Votes: 114 28.6%
  • Killing a critter outside legal shooting hours (such as 35 minutes before sunrise)

Votes: 95 23.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 92 23.1%

• Total voters

BDD

Where is the option for shooting a deer with a .22, in the dark, with a spotlight, over bait, from a moving car, out of season, without hunters education, under the influence, without orange on?????
the car wasn't moving and there was no bait, other then that.....

rugerfan

Trout qualify........and I think most folks I've ever trout fished with have gon for the "bonus round" after the limit was filled :)

Correction sir!!!!! "Bonus Rounds" you forgot the "s" at the end. ;)

sghoghunter

I think the ones that never done anything are much more likely to later on. We learn from our mistakes. Well, some of us do. I've seen folks that never drank before go off the deep end quick

When I was in my late teens and earlier 20's I didn't fall in some folks way of hunting and a lot got jealous of the deer I was killing and of the places I hunted. They started spreading rumors about I poached deer and shined at night to kill them when in fact I actually hunted instead of hanging out and drinking with their lil crowd. I told one of them guys a few weeks ago they better be glad I didn't have the money or toys I got now cause I'd probably be just like the prince of poachers.

Wayne D Davis

When I was in my late teens and earlier 20's I didn't fall in some folks way of hunting and a lot got jealous of the deer I was killing and of the places I hunted. They started spreading rumors about I poached deer and shined at night to kill them when in fact I actually hunted instead of hanging out and drinking with their lil crowd. I told one of them guys a few weeks ago they better be glad I didn't have the money or toys I got now cause I'd probably be just like the prince of poachers.
I was brought into this world with a hunting dad. After his passing put a halt on my hunting until I grew up and could do on my own. I started hunting with a few guys local to home (now is Lake Point / Bobby Cox in Emerson Ga. ) Then we all leased some inland container land in Ballground. Every year I'd kill 4 to their one. It's in my blood

godogs57

You younger folks need to remember too, that some critters could be killed legally when we were coming up that will land you in federal prison if you get caught killing one now.
Read any of the old classics....Archibald Rutledge, Elmer Keith and their cohorts....they'd pop an eagle (or a hawk) in a second. Remember reading a reprint of an article Elmer wrote regarding the birth and development of the 44 Mag pistol round. The first animal killed with the new round was a hawk if I remember correctly.

Old timers were bad about shooting turkeys off the roost too.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Read any of the old classics....Archibald Rutledge, Elmer Keith and their cohorts....they'd pop an eagle (or a hawk) in a second. Remember reading a reprint of an article Elmer wrote regarding the birth and development of the 44 Mag pistol round. The first animal killed with the new round was a hawk if I remember correctly.

A lesson taught to me by one of my old mentors, who hunted turkeys in the lower Oconee River swamp from around 1890 till 1965 or so, was as long as a turkey was standing up on the limb he flew up to roost on, you needed to be still. Wait, and stay still till it squatted down on the limb, then you could slip under it and shoot it off the limb. Once it squatted down, it went to sleep.

A simple but effective lesson from another century, and a time past.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Nic...back then it did not matter how dinner was obtained. What we call morals now was necessity back then and any person living out in the sticks did it on a daily basis whether hunting or fishing. Family has to eat whether it was coon, possum, rabbits, deer, turkey, squirrels, bass, catfish, bream, etc.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic...back then it did not matter how dinner was obtained. What we call morals now was necessity back then and any person living out in the sticks did it on a daily basis whether hunting or fishing. Family has to eat whether it was coon, possum, rabbits, deer, turkey, squirrels, bass, catfish, bream, etc.

Another lesson those old men taught me, was to always save some seed. They hunted hard, but that particular set of hunters would never deplete an entire flock of turkeys. Those same men, if hey caught an entire covey of quail in a trap, would always turn two pair loose.

They had little to no schooling, but they could teach us all, if we would just listen.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Read The Witchery of Archery by the Thompson brothers. They had chapters about shooting woodpeckers, herons, egrets, and such.

Swamprat

Swamprat
We always did the same....don't kill every quail or gobbler, don't take every bass or shell cracker off a bed. If you want to eat next year you got to leave some to ensure that.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Read The Witchery of Archery by the Thompson brothers. They had chapters about shooting woodpeckers, herons, egrets, and such.

My old Granddaddy who had a major impact on my life, and was responsible for my woodsmanship, ate plenty of woodpeckers throughout his life. Plenty of '"wood hens", of which there are still plenty. I remember as a small boy eating them in the swamp with him when we camped. And another he mentioned that was good too, but didn`t see as much. He called them "Lord God" woodpeckers.

I`ll let ya`ll draw the conclusions to that one....

Swamprat

Swamprat
Ivory billed if I remember right.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You don’t have go far back to find tales of what some folks would call a real game outlaw. Look up Claude Dallas, it took place out west from my wife’s part of the country. Many say he was just a good ole boy living in the wilderness and wanted left alone. Trapped and hunted to survive. He shot it out with two wardens trying to arrest him for out of season and killed both of them. Dozens spent months to find and arrest him in the wilderness. Prosecuted him for murder, jury would only convict him of manslaughter. The judge was angered so prohibited concurrent sentences running his sentence up to 30 years.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Read a book about who was one of the first game officers down in the Glades maybe in the 30's. Was a outright outlaw as far as killing critters, etc. but the state figured he would be a huge asset since he knew that area like the back of his hand. Once he got that responsibility and a steady paycheck he turned into a upstanding citizen.

godogs57

My old Granddaddy who had a major impact on my life, and was responsible for my woodsmanship, ate plenty of woodpeckers throughout his life. Plenty of '"wood hens", of which there are still plenty. I remember as a small boy eating them in the swamp with him when we camped. And another he mentioned that was good too, but didn`t see as much. He called them "Lord God" woodpeckers.

I`ll let ya`ll draw the conclusions to that one....
pilleated