Who can Marry?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Today, in the church, in Christianity, can 1st cousins marry each other????

gordon 2

I am going to venture yes. But...there should be special conditions or lack thereof. It must definetly be a mature and free choice. It must not be to keep wealth or resources to a clan.

christianhunter

That is incest,and incest is sin.First it is against the law,in many States.There was a time in Scripture,where it was even the norm,to marry a sister,not any more.Since DNA has become more advanced in study.A person on your fathers side,who is very distantly related,can have a good part of your DNA make up.A 1st cousin is the next step below only a sibling.Mental retardation,early death,and many other physical conditions arise,from such a misguided union.There have even been many studies,where conditions are brought about by the union of 3rd and 4th cousins.I condemn such a union,and hate it for whoevers toes,that I may step on.It was needed in Scripture,for THE LORD's plan once.It is highly unaccepted,in areas of social standing,in a lot of areas of the norm now.Also in areas of Scripture,where the term brethren is used,in The New Testament,it is sometimes being used for cousin.I'm certain with as many members,as Woody's has,my comment is going to hit home for someone.Should I back down,for what I believe Scriptural?....I don't think so,incest is incest.

Last edited:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
So, scripturally it was okay, but now it isn't?

Forbidden marriages.
Between mother and son. (Note that sexual relations between father and daughter are prohibited by Lev. 18:6 and 21:2-3) Leviticus 18:7-8
With stepchildren. Leviticus 18:8, 17
With an aunt. Leviticus 18:12-14
With sister or half-sister. Leviticus 18:9; Deut. 27:22
With half-sister and stepsisters. Leviticus 18:11
With daughter-in-law. Leviticus 18:15
With your sister-in-law. Leviticus 18:16
With your granddaughter. Leviticus 18:10
With your step-granddaughter. Leviticus 18:17

christianhunter

So, scripturally it was okay, but now it isn't?

Forbidden marriages.
Between mother and son. (Note that sexual relations between father and daughter are prohibited by Lev. 18:6 and 21:2-3) Leviticus 18:7-8
With stepchildren. Leviticus 18:8, 17
With an aunt. Leviticus 18:12-14
With sister or half-sister. Leviticus 18:9; Deut. 27:22
With half-sister and stepsisters. Leviticus 18:11
With daughter-in-law. Leviticus 18:15
With your sister-in-law. Leviticus 18:16
With your granddaughter. Leviticus 18:10
With your step-granddaughter. Leviticus 18:17

Lowjack will have to help me on this one.I have heard in the languages of Scripture,that there was no word for nephew,niece,or cousin,so they were referred to as brethren or kinsman.All Scripture you have quoted is from The Old Testament.Why is this a significant issue?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
doesn't it just seem weird though??????

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
doesn't it just seem weird though??????

Yes sir it does seem weird!!!!!

All of my life I've known that it was wrong, sinful, and spoken to in God's word..... But when I went looking for it I didn't find it.

And just so you know, I am not married to my first cousin.

dbodkin

Explains why many of my family tree fails to branch.... For the record... yes in that tree we have distant cousins married. My father and mother (from a very small town) were about 7th cousins. They didn’t know it until I pointed it out. Their common ancestor was a GGGGG Grandparents. I found a couple instances where other ancestors were also distant cousins... Think about the 1600-1800's it would be extremely hard not to have inter family marriages. Not too many folks around back then...:love:

Sin???? Maybe? Bible??? Henry VIII used it (Leviticus) on his first wife...

I would warn not to look into geneology too far, you too may find a connection...:huh:

thedeacon

I think it unwise to marry a 1st cousin but you can't find scripture to comdemn it. Nothing wrong with you taking a distant relative for a spouse.

gordon 2

If cousins, even first cousins love each other in accordance to how God designed a man and a women to combine their emotional and intimate lives into one flesh and become in a godly way a family seperate in aspiration, emotion and intimacy from their parents, then they are married as God intends this union--don't care who you are.

This union is very rare. And also perhaps very rare in alot of run of the mill married folk's union--generally. What God has put together, it is not for our micky mouse wisdom to monkey with.

jason4445

Neighbors a couple of houses down from me were church married first cousins, had three kids - two kids got really big into drink and drugs as late teens - they rehabed - the girl married, had kids and ended up hanging herself in her early 30's. Son ended up a kind of drifter and the other girl seemed to turn out okay. She married, had kids good job and everyone seems to be normal.

My grandmother and her first cousin fell in love. He was a doctor, but they decided to break off the relationship and not get married cause they worried about how the children might turn out.

In Georgia is it legal for 1 st cousins to marry, but in other states it is not

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's illegal for double first cousins to marry in NC, but apparantly first cousins are OK. Don't think I'd want to marry my cousin, though. I'd say after you get out past about third cousins or so it doesn't matter much any more.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
i don't claim to know GODS veiws on married close cousins.
i feel with my growin up, in todays american society, its just not for me.
like one guy said above, i bet if we go snoopin way back into ancestry many people could be linked somehow and not even know it.

i wonder if anyone knows of countries or religions where marrige close to the family is normal????

270 guy

Banned
That is incest,and incest is sin.First it is against the law,in many States.There was a time in Scripture,where it was even the norm,to marry a sister,not any more.Since DNA has become more advanced in study.A person on your fathers side,who is very distantly related,can have a good part of your DNA make up.A 1st cousin is the next step below only a sibling.Mental retardation,early death,and many other physical conditions arise,from such a misguided union.There have even been many studies,where conditions are brought about by the union of 3rd and 4th cousins.I condemn such a union,and hate it for whoevers toes,that I may step on.It was needed in Scripture,for THE LORD's plan once.It is highly unaccepted,in areas of social standing,in a lot of areas of the norm now.Also in areas of Scripture,where the term brethren is used,in The New Testament,it is sometimes being used for cousin.I'm certain with as many members,as Woody's has,my comment is going to hit home for someone.Should I back down,for what I believe Scriptural?....I don't think so,incest is incest.

First off let me say I'm against marrying cousins or sisters and such, BUT at what point in the big scheme of life did it become wrong to do so?

Adam and Eve had to have had sex with there kids and we all know many others in the Bible did the same. After the flood it had to happen again many times on down the line.

At what point did it start becoming wrong and these birth defects start happening?

Hunting Teacher

Ronnie,
I think one of the most important points you show here is how often we "know" something is biblical because that's what we've always been taught only to find out when we search for ourselves that it isn't always true.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
First off let me say I'm against marrying cousins or sisters and such, BUT at what point in the big scheme of life did it become wrong to do so? Adam and Eve had to have had sex with there kids and we all know many others in the Bible did the same. After the flood it had to happen again many times on down the line.

At what point did it start becoming wrong and these birth defects start happening?

I did a quick google search this afternoon and found more than one site that claimed 10 percent of the marriages in all the world are between cousins.
But don't know how accurate that figure is.

groundhawg

Incest - how can you back your statement up with scripture?

I do not think it is a good idea if the couple was planning to have a family due to physical conditions that might arise. Other than that if it is not aganist the law in the state they live in I can not see any reason not to.

Lowjack

Lowjack will have to help me on this one.I have heard in the languages of Scripture,that there was no word for nephew,niece,or cousin,so they were referred to as brethren or kinsman.All Scripture you have quoted is from The Old Testament.Why is this a significant issue?

Base on ;You must never have sexual relations with a close relative, for I am the Lord. (NLT) Lev. 18:6

A First Cousin we call "Brother Cousin" in Hebrew, Since there are other laws which regulate when a brother has to take his brother's wife in case he dies and raise the children as his own, First cousins are also Called Brothers, (Chayin)so Marriage was forbidden based on these grounds.

Jews are well known for taking Cousins as wives , today Medical research blames the many diseases found in the Jewish Population due to these marriages.
Recent genetic research in Israel has shed the light on First Cousin Genes which shows first cousins are sometimes almost Identical Genetically as brothers.:type:

http://www.victorcenters.org/Faqs/faq.cfm