Why is NIL an issue?

TinKnocker

When someone like "Primetime" can come into Colorado and set scholarships ablaze and tell kids to pack their bags and hit the portal?

bullgator

These kids now better soak up this money, pay to play era, now. Because when they are forced to fix it, they’re going to have to make it hurt. The greed is already evident and will require a hard landing to correct. None of these spoiled kids will skip CFB and an otherwise chance at an education because NIL money is gone. What are they going to do?, stay in the hood and pout?

TinKnocker

These kids now better soak up this money, pay to play era, now. Because when they are forced to fix it, they’re going to have to make it hurt. The greed is already evident and will require a hard landing to correct. None of these spoiled kids will skip CFB and an otherwise chance at an education because NIL money is gone. What are they going to do?, stay in the hood and pout?
Yes, that horse has been beaten sufficiently. No comment on Sanders?

bullgator

Yes, that horse has been beaten sufficiently. No comment on Sanders?
Other than irresponsible actions like his are going to be a main reason they are going to have to deal with it.

And I’m pretty good at :deadhorse:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
As long as the Dawgs are on top, who cares?
That’s the DAWGs we know. UGA, BAMA and those with the deepest pockets will skew the play dramatically. The coaches told them what would happen. Can’t blame them for using a tool the commission gave them.

huntersluck

The idea of NIL was supposed to make it possible for a player to capitalize on their NIL after they performed at a high level in college and earned those rights. The NIL has turned into pay for play which is not what it was supposed to have been. Yea we all know pay for play was going on before NIL but not at the level it is now , it will be changed at some point but for now it is what it is

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Why should it change? It would be much simpler to brand College Football as Semi Pro, acknowledging what it has been for decades.
Yep and then I can focus solely on deer season and forget about CFB.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Name, image, and likeness deals are a shock to the current system because of the big money involved. It literally went from zero to millions in one decision.
If the NCAA had done what they should have done back in the 60's and early 70's and approved NIL deals, it would have been on a relatively small scale to start with instead of millions. The NCAA would have even had the power at that time to put some reasonable caps on it. Instead, they were greedy and kept all the money for themselves while calling themselves a non-profit. So, instead of a player making a few hundred bucks in the 70's for a local car dealership commercial, we end up with players today making millions on national NIL deals for national companies. It could have grown over the past 50 years with the growth of college football, but instead it went from zero to millions in one year.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Other than irresponsible actions like his are going to be a main reason they are going to have to deal with it.

And I’m pretty good at :deadhorse:
Something that wasn't widely publicized...Colorado board of regents (or whatever the decision makers are called) had to change their transfer requirements to allow Deion's "followers" to enroll in Colorado. The players curriculums (basic) credits had no "transfer path" into Colorado. Colorado doesn't offer "basic education" curriculum :)

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Something that wasn't widely publicized...Colorado board of regents (or whatever the decision makers are called) had to change their transfer requirements to allow Deion's "followers" to enroll in Colorado. The players curriculums (basic) credits had no "transfer path" into Colorado. Colorado doesn't offer "basic education" curriculum :)
Interesting, I didn't know they'd done that but it's obvious why they would. Helps to improve the chances of quick success.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...cess-following-deion-sanders-hire/ar-AA14U74K

DannyW

If Harvard or Stanford ever get serious about college football it’s a wrap lol.
Been saying the very same thing since NIL came along. The Harvard Endowment Fund, by itself, is larger than all the SEC schools Endowment Funds combined.

Let that sink in.

Now, Endowment Funds can't/won't be used for NIL purposes but it demonstrates a school's ability raise money for a NIL program...if it wants to do so.

At one time Harvard was very motivated in sports. In fact won 8 National Championships years ago...more than anyone in the SEC except for Alabama.

Better hope they continue to be just an academic powerhouse.

Didn't watch much "college" football this year. Maybe a couple quarters total. I like a saying. If it walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it must be a duck.

"College" football looks like minor league baseball, pays like minor league baseball, it must be like minor league baseball.

I watch zero minor league baseball.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Been saying the very same thing since NIL came along. The Harvard Endowment Fund, by itself, is larger than all the SEC schools Endowment Funds combined.

Let that sink in.

Now, Endowment Funds can't/won't be used for NIL purposes but it demonstrates a school's ability raise money for a NIL program...if it wants to do so.

At one time Harvard was very motivated in sports. In fact won 8 National Championships years ago...more than anyone in the SEC except for Alabama.

Better hope they continue to be just an academic powerhouse.

Didn't watch much "college" football this year. Maybe a couple quarters total. I like a saying. If it walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it must be a duck.

"College" football looks like minor league baseball, pays like minor league baseball, it must be like minor league baseball.

I watch zero minor league baseball.

The Ivy League (especially Harvard and Yale) is way too woke to spend big money on something as barbaric as football. They will use that money to try and get rid of college football nationwide because it's corrupt and it's immoral for grown men to run into each other at full speed on purpose, no matter what the end goal is.

Prove me wrong.

DannyW

The Ivy League (especially Harvard and Yale) is way too woke to spend big money on something as barbaric as football. They will use that money to try and get rid of college football nationwide because it's corrupt and it's immoral for grown men to run into each other at full speed on purpose, no matter what the end goal is.

Prove me wrong.

Never said your opinion is wrong...or right. Said you better hope that Harvard doesn't get interested in winning football championships.

This is a modern day parable intended to illustrate that no matter if the coach is Smart, Saban, or John Heisman himself, a "school" can win a national championship if they just throw enough money at it.

In other words, with unregulated NIL, championships can be bought.

weagle

I'm 100% for the NIL contracts. The main issue I see right now is the transfer portal.

I think the schools need to wrap their head around the fact that they are a professional league and start locking players into multi year contracts; just like every other professional team sport. Non-compete clauses in the NIL contracts would seem to be the easiest way to accomplish this.

I'm hearing the SEC has some rule changes in mind to strengthen the commitment from both players and teams.

bullgator

I'm 100% for the NIL contracts. The main issue I see right now is the transfer portal.

I think the schools need to wrap their head around the fact that they are a professional league and start locking players into multi year contracts; just like every other professional team sport. Non-compete clauses in the NIL contracts would seem to be the easiest way to accomplish this.

I'm hearing the SEC has some rule changes in mind to strengthen the commitment from both players and teams.
You were against the schools making money and wanted the players to have the freedom to individually negotiate for NIL money. Now you see the downfall most warned of and your solution is to lock’em down into multi year contracts!…..awesome. Why are you so against the freedom of the transfer portal? If you see them as a professional league it’s just part of the landscape. At least we stopped all that playing for a college degree nonsense. College football will start bleeding fans soon because of ALL this ridiculousness. Who wants to buy an NIL jersey not knowing if that guy will even be there in a few weeks?