Why is NIL an issue?

weagle

I was never against the
You were against the schools making money and wanted the players to have the freedom to individually negotiate for NIL money. Now you see the downfall most warned of and your solution is to lock’em down into multi year contracts!…..awesome. Why are you so against the freedom of the transfer portal? If you see them as a professional league it’s just part of the landscape. At least we stopped all that playing for a college degree nonsense. College football will start bleeding fans soon because of ALL this ridiculousness. Who wants to buy an NIL jersey not knowing if that guy will even be there in a few weeks?
I was never against the schools making money. I want them to make more money and recognize that they have been running a professional sports league for many years. I also want the players to profit from their very valuable athletic talent. They have been prohibited from that until recently.

I do not see any down fall. What makes you think that?

Allowing the teams and players to negotiate multi year deals is not "against freedom" Contracts are the way free market capitalism works.

College football is expanding it's fan base and popularity and will continue to do so with the expanded playoff. The top talent will be more likely to stay in the college league vs jumping to the NFL since there is good money to be made now playing for a College team.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I think the schools need to wrap their head around the fact that they are a professional league and start locking players into multi year contracts; just like every other professional team sport. Non-compete clauses in the NIL contracts would seem to be the easiest way to accomplish this
I addressed this several times in recent years and if you'll go back and read those posts you'll see it was predicted and repeat some of it again. Schools CAN NOT lock players into contracts. The schools ARE NOT/CAN NOT pay them due to Title IX regulations. And if the schools can't pay them their is no way to contractually obligate them. These players contracts are with SPORTS AGENTS whose sole concern is how much can they make for themselves. And those contracts are worth squat if the player is not playing so they ain't gonna sit and will jump ship if they think/are being "advised" they aren't being utilized to the fullest extent.

The ONLY way to now rectify this will be for the Universities, some not all as there are not that many players to go around, to divest themselves of "their" teams so they can form a semi pro league. Said Universities may lease the rights to THEIR NIL to said team and rent THEIR stadiums for the games, but that will be all the connection the University will have to the team.

Here's one more prediction. The "Portal" is only going to get worse until this divestment happens. Despite/because of the NCAA's attempts to limit transfers, someone will file suit for again attemptingto limit the players income potential. These entities paying there players are soon gonna start expecting an RTI and they won't be getting that if said player is not playing/racking up stats, and when some other school says "Hey, we'll see to it you get your time and stats" the player/agent is gonna want to move to that new school. The courts have, as we all know and is the reason we find ourselves here, repeatedly ruled against the NCAA in this matter and will again and force them to allow the players to transfer at will. Since there is/can be NO CONTRACT with the school/team due to Title IX there is nothing stopping them from transferring if they wish/can earn more from their NIL. And the team/coach will also likely back it because in the near future some spoiled brat will be making a fool of himself for not getting his time/being allowed to transfer, and why would a coach want to keep that individual around to cause problems?

Welcome to the world of "professional" college football. This is the world y'all were warned you'd get and you wanted it anyway. Welcome to the decline/destruction of that "world". Maybe you'll keep on with it no matter what, but many of us support the school/team and NOT the individual player(s) and will not support NFL Lite. We don't support the NFL now, why on earth would we support their junior league? Maybe that semi pro league will succeed because of its "connection" to the schools, NIL/stadium usage deals, or maybe/most likely it fails the same as ALL previous semi pro leagues have. You think the NCAA had an iron fist before? Just wait until THAT happens.

TomC

What's the problem with Universities making money off their football teams??? Much of that money goes to programs, facilities and technology to benefit all the other students, the students who actually have to pay for attending college!

The poor football players. Just not fair the University makes so much $$$$ boooohoooo. All those poor athletes get for their efforts are a free education and degree, free room and board, free vittles, and free tutors to somehow get through those difficult degree programs (cough cough) that so many players take. NIL is finally making life a little easier for them.....long overdue......LOL.

bullgator

What's the problem with Universities making money off their football teams??? Much of that money goes to programs, facilities and technology to benefit all the other students, the students who actually have to pay for attending college!

The poor football players. Just not fair the University makes so much $$$$ boooohoooo. All those poor athletes get for their efforts are a free education and degree, free room and board, free vittles, and free tutors to somehow get through those difficult degree programs (cough cough) that so many players take. NIL is finally making life a little easier for them.....long overdue......LOL.
You’re absolutely right…….as was everyone else who posted the same thing. However some played college ball and aren’t happy all they got for their time and effort was a free education with all the perks. Who you won’t hear complaining are the track, baseball, swimming, and other athletes that are glad to have gotten an education by playing a game they loved. But my oh my, football makes money so forget the other athletes that don’t carry an NIL value out of high school.
In all honesty, I have no idea when the Georgia-Michigan game is scheduled for off the top of my head.

weagle

I think some of you are in denial, or are jealous that talented athletes are getting paid in exchange for their talents at a market rate and not the rate the Scholarship donors and corrupt NCAA determines is right. BTW, I think the highest paid NIL athlete is a gymnast from LSU, not a football or basketball player.

The fact is these athletes are worth millions to the market for the 4 years after high school, not just when the NFL and NCAA agree they can be paid. Stetson Bennett is a perfect example. He's been worth Millions to UGA although he probably has no/little future as a "pro" football player.

NIL is sort of a stop gap, before the major programs become licensed affiliated programs, separate from the University and not under NCAA / Title IX rules. The Universities can't do long term contracts, but Yellow Fellow can.

There will always be smaller programs that don't have the revenue generation power of the big boys and if you love the "amateur" college game of old that is where you will find it. Some if the elitist , leftist universities like the Ivy league and Stanford etc, might carry that torch, but it's not going to be the SEC.

BTW there are plenty of fans in line for y'alls seats if you decide not to renew. 95% of fans don't even know this stuff is going on and wouldn't care if they did know.

Resica

I think some of you are in denial, or are jealous that talented athletes are getting paid in exchange for their talents at a market rate and not the rate the Scholarship donors and corrupt NCAA determines is right. BTW, I think the highest paid NIL athlete is a gymnast from LSU, not a football or basketball player.

The fact is these athletes are worth millions to the market for the 4 years after high school, not just when the NFL and NCAA agree they can be paid. Stetson Bennett is a perfect example. He's been worth Millions to UGA although he probably has no/little future as a "pro" football player.

NIL is sort of a stop gap, before the major programs become licensed affiliated programs, separate from the University and not under NCAA / Title IX rules. The Universities can't do long term contracts, but Yellow Fellow can.

There will always be smaller programs that don't have the revenue generation power of the big boys and if you love the "amateur" college game of old that is where you will find it. Some if the elitist , leftist universities like the Ivy league and Stanford etc, might carry that torch, but it's not going to be the SEC.

BTW there are plenty of fans in line for y'alls seats if you decide not to renew. 95% of fans don't even know this stuff is going on and wouldn't care if they did know.
She's not gettin paid because of her gymnastics prowess, not that that matters.

TomC

Let them get paid market rate for their talents. But they also ought to then pay market rate for their books, market rate for tuition, and market rate for room and board. And then maybe the QB making all the NIL $ can help pay some of these same expenses for his offensive linemen since he needs those guys inorder to earn his NIL. And hey these guys on the field are profiting from wearing the university logos and uniforms, using university owned facilities to get their market exposure. Probably ought to give a cut of their NIL deal back to the university!

Bet the that wouldn't go over well with the booohooooing prima donnas who have been complaining about how unfair its been!

weagle

Let them get paid market rate for their talents. But they also ought to then pay market rate for their books, market rate for tuition, and market rate for room and board. And then maybe the QB making all the NIL $ can help pay some of these same expenses for his offensive linemen since he needs those guys inorder to earn his NIL. And hey these guys on the field are profiting from wearing the university logos and uniforms, using university owned facilities to get their market exposure. Probably ought to give a cut of their NIL deal back to the university!

Bet the that wouldn't go over well with the booohooooing prima donnas who have been complaining about how unfair its been!
That's fair, but I think you are missing the fact that it's the school that is clamoring for their talent and willing to go even further than the NIL money if they were allowed to.

Some talents are more scarce and worth more than others, even in a team sport. That's the real world. But on a big time college program, they are all worth more than the 40K / year worth of tuition, room and board that the NCAA dictates; Even the third team offensive guard.

Would any smart business man not pay millions if it earned him hundreds of millions.

I paid attention in business school.

ClemsonRangers

i may change my mind later, but i see expanded opportunities

there should be no exclusions, let anyone enrolled play, no limits on years of eligibility, ex-NFL should be allowed to compete for those jobs too

increase the player pool size could create some stability, other than that let it rip

bullgator

I wonder what a med student specializing in childhood cancer is worth?

probably nothing……..except to the parents.

weagle

I wonder what a med student specializing in childhood cancer is worth?

probably nothing……..except to the parents
I think it's a well paid profession once the person has learned the skills, but in America the Dr will never make Kirby Smart money or be worth millions to the university system.

weagle

i may change my mind later, but i see expanded opportunities

there should be no exclusions, let anyone enrolled play, no limits on years of eligibility, ex-NFL should be allowed to compete for those jobs too

increase the player pool size could create some stability, other than that let it rip
The SEC already has the formula down for competition and ratings. It's the money that's getting squared away now.

bullgator

I think it's a well paid profession once the person has learned the skills, but in America the Dr will never make Kirby Smart money or be worth millions to the university system.
Yeah, my bad. A university, education, making a living after you develop your skills at said university. What a dreamer I am.

weagle

Yeah, my bad. A university, education, making a living after you develop your skills at said university. What a dreamer I am.
That is the reality for most people who do not have exceptional and very valuable skills at around the age of 18. However as has been proven by the NIL $$ these young men have talents that are not only valuable right now, but also have a relatively short "lifespan". Average around 8 years (4 yrs college / 4 yrs NFL)

An engineering / medical / law student etc, or business major in my case, learns skills in college that if applied are profitable over a life time.

No one is tailgating and packing 100K + into a stadium to see the best law students debate or an engineering design competition.

If I'm not mistaken the highest paid state employee in every southern state is an SEC coach. It is us, the consumer of these entertainment products that establishes that value.

bullgator

That is the reality for most people who do not have exceptional and very valuable skills at around the age of 18. However as has been proven by the NIL $$ these young men have talents that are not only valuable right now, but also have a relatively short "lifespan". Average around 8 years (4 yrs college / 4 yrs NFL)

An engineering / medical / law student etc, or business major in my case, learns skills in college that if applied are profitable over a life time.

No one is tailgating and packing 100K + into a stadium to see the best law students debate or an engineering design competition.

If I'm not mistaken the highest paid state employee in every southern state is an SEC coach. It is us, the consumer of these entertainment products that establishes that value.
Great. I’ll counter with very few of these 18 year old pillars of society would see a college campus without their athletic abilities. If they are so valuable “right now”, let’em jump right to the NFL from high school. I’m sure high school ball fully prepares them for the mental and physical aspects of the league…..no problem. Since only a very, very small percentage could make that jump, I wonder what happens to the 90%+ that never see a day in an NFL training camp. Most of those folks may not get a shot at a good secondary education because those few at the top can’t wait to cash in. The bottom line is you not only want, but need the university system to promote the minor league concept.……..for one single sport for the most part. I honestly couldn’t care less if college sports stopped tomorrow. Let the hoods keep their hood rats.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
BTW there are plenty of fans in line for y'alls seats if you decide not to renew.
No there aren't because I've never had one and I've never donated so much as tobacco spit to the alumni fund and I'm just about to lose interest in College Pro Football Lite. I know I won't be missed. Don't care. The feeling will be mutual.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
The idea of NIL was supposed to make it possible for a player to capitalize on their NIL after they performed at a high level in college and earned those rights. The NIL has turned into pay for play which is not what it was supposed to have been. Yea we all know pay for play was going on before NIL but not at the level it is now , it will be changed at some point but for now it is what it is
When Washington DC started this ball rolling as usual the unintended consequences are always, unintended.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator

I will always value your thoughts since you walked in their shoes.

weagle

Great. I’ll counter with very few of these 18 year old pillars of society would see a college campus without their athletic abilities. If they are so valuable “right now”, let’em jump right to the NFL from high school. I’m sure high school ball fully prepares them for the mental and physical aspects of the league…..no problem. Since only a very, very small percentage could make that jump, I wonder what happens to the 90%+ that never see a day in an NFL training camp. Most of those folks may not get a shot at a good secondary education because those few at the top can’t wait to cash in. The bottom line is you not only want, but need the university system to promote the minor league concept.……..for one single sport for the most part. I honestly couldn’t care less if college sports stopped tomorrow. Let the hoods keep their hood rats.

I think you are seeing the light. The only reason 90% of these kids are at SEC schools is revenue for the school. That is the only interest the school has in them and nearly 100% would not be enrolled if the university wasn't making 100s of millions $$$ selling their product to TV, apparel companies, scholarship donations, tickets, merchandise etc. They have an agreement with the NFL so unlike baseball and other pro sports the kids can't jump to the NFL or to a minor league system. The bottom line is there is no way the universities are going to let their cash cow get away and the NFL isn't going to let their "free" minor league end. This has been a professional league for many many years and the only ones unable to negotiate their pay has been the talent. That dam has burst.

This is all happening. Really the only question now is what form the payments will take. Will it be based around NIL or will the Conferences set up a pro league with university affiliations?

bullgator

I think you are seeing the light. The only reason 90% of these kids are at SEC schools is revenue for the school. That is the only interest the school has in them and nearly 100% would not be enrolled if the university wasn't making 100s of millions $$$ selling their product to TV, apparel companies, scholarship donations, tickets, merchandise etc. They have an agreement with the NFL so unlike baseball and other pro sports the kids can't jump to the NFL or to a minor league system. The bottom line is there is no way the universities are going to let their cash cow get away and the NFL isn't going to let their "free" minor league end. This has been a professional league for many many years and the only ones unable to negotiate their pay has been the talent. That dam has burst.

This is all happening. Really the only question now is what form the payments will take. Will it be based around NIL or will the Conferences set up a pro league with university affiliations?
Sweet. It sounds like it’s all coming together nicely.