Wildgame Innovations 4.0 IR Review

Georgiadawgs78

Well I finally decided to break down and buy me a new camera this year since my previous Moultrie D-40 was stolen sometime in late January. Saturday afternoon I made a trip out to BPS with a budget of $125 to spend on a camera. Well after a little searching I decided I would try out the Wildgame 4.0IR. It was on sale for right at $80. I hung on a tree Saturday evening overlooking one of my grown up food plots and a 50# bag of yellow acorns. Tuesday I decide to go ahead and bushhog the food plot and while im there check the position of the camera from the pics to make sure its pointed in the right direction. At this point the camera had 105 pictures. I have it setup on a 30 second delay, only still photos, and to run all day and night. So today I decide to swap the sd cards to see if I got any monsters. This is what I concluded

-The camera took a total of 485 pictures is 6 days
-The battery display is still showing full charge
-Almost all of the pics but probably 4 had something in the frame
-Pretty much the first picture of every series had the deer right in the middle. Of course after the 30 second delay the deer may be off to one side, but that tells me the delay is not too bad since I didnt have any pics where all I got was half the deer.
-The pics right at sunrise are HORRIBLE. (I didnt have any right at dark but im sure they will be the same way) IF the IR comes on its all white washed and you can hardly see the deer it just blends in with everything, but a minute later and the IR doesnt go off and everything is way to dark. (see pics below) *Note*---this is my first IR camera so this may be a common thing but ive never seen pics posted like mine.
-The night pics are fairly decent but im still not a fan of the way the IR only illuminates whats right in the middle of the pics and not the edges
-Also the deer never seem to be looking at the camera in none of the pics while with my old flash camera and a lot of the IR pics I see on the board they are. (may be a coincidence)

PROS:
=Great Price for a 4.0 megapixel IR camera
=Great quality pics
=Seems to have great battery life (atleast compared to my old moultrie)
=Trigger speed seems okay, prob not great but isn't too shabby either

CONS:
=Sunrise pics are HORRIBLE, probably sunset pics as well!!
=Night pics are only illuminated in the middle and not edges.

Some other things to note. Has an internal memory but the actual camera has to be hooked to a tv or pc or something of that nature to view them. Comes with two SMALL bungee cords, USB cord, and a cd for pc. Takes C batteries. Also has a port for an external 6v battery for longer battery life.

So now onto some example photos....

(1-2)The first two are the HORRIBLE sunrise pics ive been talking about
-The good thing is only the pics from 6:57 til 7:11 were some what not clear

(3)The third pic is what an average night pic looks like, notice the dark edges.

(4-5)The fourth and fifth pics are what your average day pics look like. Not too bad for a $80 camera

Note that out of 485 pics in 6 days, minus the possibility of one of the fawns being a buck, I only had pictures of slick heads.

I hope this review will help someone in their purchase of their next trail cam. :cheers:

Attachments

• PICT0421.jpg
    PICT0421.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 677
  • PICT0422.jpg
    PICT0422.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 671
  • PICT0114.jpg
    PICT0114.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 664
  • PICT0359.jpg
    PICT0359.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 719
  • PICT0363.jpg
    PICT0363.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 718

hunterz

I think those cameras are poor quality junk. I bought one of the Wildgame Innovations 5 Megapixel and ended up returning it...after it chewed up two sets of batteries and never would take daylight pictures. I ended up with a The Moultrie 5 megapixel and it is a much better machine.

The guy who I bought it from (local chain store to be unamed) said they get a bunch of them back because they are junk.

bowwinkles

All the WGI cameras for 2010 are being made by a different manufacture than last year. QC is much better this year.

Gumbo1

I bought the same one from Bass Pro last week. Got it home and it would not power up. I tried two different sets on "new" batteries, even hit the reset button and i got nothing. I called Wild game and they said" it sounds like a defective camara" LOL. They wanted me to pay postage for a new one and return the defective one and I said no way. 80 miles round trip to return to Bass Pro, which is a whole other story on customer service.
I am happy yours at least worked for ya.

just another opinion,,, I bought the same camera from BPS last week,,, took it out and the same thing happened, nothing, nothing at all... took the camera back got my money back and bought the same camera from Gander but in camo color (same price) and installed batteries and took some pix around the house to see what pix would look like.....got the same result,,, some very bright and some very dark,, taking it out to the woods tomorrow and will see what I get.... good luck guys

Ace1313

We have three Wildgame cams running and they are working pretty good for us. I noticed the problem with the IR but that is what has happened before for us with others.

Georgiadawgs78

just another opinion,,, I bought the same camera from BPS last week,,, took it out and the same thing happened, nothing, nothing at all... took the camera back got my money back and bought the same camera from Gander but in camo color (same price) and installed batteries and took some pix around the house to see what pix would look like.....got the same result,,, some very bright and some very dark,, taking it out to the woods tomorrow and will see what I get.... good luck guys

Well shoot I guess I should feel pretty good about mine then lol. I'd be PO'ed if I bought one and it didn't work at all. It's really not that bad for the price. Just seems that the ir part is lacking but hey u get what u pay for.

whitworth

I suppose it's inevitable

Modern hunters will want the quality of their internet pictures on their trail cams, with the inevitable increase in cam prices.

It'll come down to picture quality rather than "hunter intelligence". Of hunters looking for that Vogue magazine quality.

Lot easier to look at beautiful pictures, than sit in a tree stand for five hours.

rutandstrut

Modern hunters will want the quality of their internet pictures on their trail cams, with the inevitable increase in cam prices.

It'll come down to picture quality rather than "hunter intelligence". Of hunters looking for that Vogue magazine quality.

Lot easier to look at beautiful pictures, than sit in a tree stand for five hours.

I agree with you! I use my Trail Cams so I can get an idea of what is coming and when they are coming to my Feeders and Food Plots. The Trail Cams also help me to find out who made it through last Hunting Season! I do not use them to get perfect Pics, just as another Scouting Tool since I have to drive 200 Miles or more to go to my Lease(s)! I have found that when I know there is a Nice Buck frequenting the area I have a Trail Cam in and Stand in place it makes it much easier to Hunt harder and longer in that area! I know it is just a matter of time until he makes a mistake and shows himself!

yellowhammer73

just returned the one i had!!!!!!!!!!!! had that thing in the woods for 3 weeks and it just stopped working!!!!!!!!!!! THE guy at customer service at bass pro shops in macon said they have had alot of these cameras returned for the same reason i was returning mine. plus the trigger speed is slow! if you have it on a feeder maybe ok but not on a trail. save your time and money and headach with this camera and get anything eles. imo

bangbird

I bought the same one from Bass Pro last week. Got it home and it would not power up. I tried two different sets on "new" batteries, even hit the reset button and i got nothing. I called Wild game and they said" it sounds like a defective camara" LOL. They wanted me to pay postage for a new one and return the defective one and I said no way. 80 miles round trip to return to Bass Pro, which is a whole other story on customer service.
I am happy yours at least worked for ya.

Exact same happened to me. Straight out of the box wouldn't power on. Tried 2 sets of batteries. I was not happy. Don't waste your time with these cameras.

Ariel05

i bought one of the wildgame cameras a month ago and returned it within a week, wouldnt take a picture. ive heard a lot of good things about them but the one i bought wasnt any good

JeffJLH

I like mine its a 4mp camera with a black face. My dad bought the same one on the same day, the only diffrence is he wanted the one with a camo face. His eats batteries in a week and mine runs about 2 months before I have to change them.

Bdillon1

try facing your camera north and south, that fixes the washout photos at dawn and dusk, thats with any ir camera