WMA Hunts and quotas

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Points for me too.

the Lackster

Haven't been drawn in 3 years now, including dropping 3 points on hunts that require 1 or none. Starting to get a little agitated.

the Lackster

Good luck to everybody going though! Shoot a big one!

Glynr

First time not getting picked for BFGrant with 1 point. Either more people putting in or they letting fewer people hunt.

Sargent

Treat Mountain VPA

Red Top mountain State Park hunt... Last year's success rate was 133%.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
First time not getting picked for BFGrant with 1 point. Either more people putting in or they letting fewer people hunt.
I accidentally used a few points last year and got picked, but didn’t go. I’m still sour about it and ain’t gonna try for nothing more than points til I know I can go. If not next year, maybe he next I’ll be ready .

Sanderson

I got picked this year and it took me 3 points. Sad part about it is I had a family emergency happen the same week so I could not even hunt it. Points wasted

BBond

Quota was dropped from 400 down to 300. It actually was that way last Fall.

Due to all the timber cuts and forcing more hunters closer together there was a huge amount of complaints for years before that resulted in the quota being lowered. Last fall was first year in forever with no complaints of too many hunters.

oldfatbubba

Just curious who got picked for what hunts? We put in every year and usually get something well this year we put in for Red Top state park with 6 priority points and didn’t get selected!!!!??‍♂️ Just kinda wondering if there was a error with the system or is there just that many people wanting it? Hard to believe 50 people put in with for it with 7 or more priority points
@bigd75 - DNR records show that 78 people wagered 6 or more points for the Red Top Mt hunt. No one who wagered less than 6 pts were selected so that means 28 people wagering +6 points were not selected. I've attached a link to the DNR's 2022 Lottery Odds report for State Parks Hunts.

Link to Selection Odds - 2022 SP Hunts

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I'm not in favor of points at all.

There has to be a better way to give MORE hunters a better chance of getting to hunt those public lands during those times.

I'm not in favor of points at all.

There has to be a better way to give MORE hunters a better chance of getting to hunt those public lands during those times.
If that was the case we wouldn't have Quota hunts at all. I've been getting points for 30 years at least. You used to have to fill out a form in the regs or GON and mail it in. If you were chosen you got a postcard in the mail OR you got a card, (YOU HAD TO KEEP THIS CARD) that said you got a rejection point. Then you had to mail that card in to use it.
I believe in the system they have been using all these years too. It's grown in popularity and even more hunts have become available. Is it guaranteed success? NO. But applying for POINTS ONLY for years to get enough is a good thing to do. I have 10 Points for Alligator. Those will be used next season for any hunt I want.

Big7

The Oracle
If that was the case we wouldn't have Quota hunts at all. I've been getting points for 30 years at least. You used to have to fill out a form in the regs or GON and mail it in. If you were chosen you got a postcard in the mail OR you got a card, (YOU HAD TO KEEP THIS CARD) that said you got a rejection point. Then you had to mail that card in to use it.
I believe in the system they have been using all these years too. It's grown in popularity and even more hunts have become available. Is it guaranteed success? NO. But applying for POINTS ONLY for years to get enough is a good thing to do. I have 10 Points for Alligator. Those will be used next season for any hunt I want.
That's all well and good but I was speaking more along the lines of harvesting of animals a little protected and restricted than gator. I understand that and it makes sense, FOR GATOR.

Just the other week or so ago, I was riding around a LOT of miles looking for a place to shoot Dove this year.

The only field I found that was good was at Clybel. They had that one done up right and the several fields are very good. Excellent in fact.
The "problem" is that EVERY hunt is going to be quota.

Less than 2 miles away at the Charlie Elliott fields, they looked pretty sad and not a lot of thought put into them. The only time I shot there was awful. I suspect all those birds were at the primo managed Clybel quota fields.

And to top that off, parts of Clybel WMA cross over into Charlie Elliott so go figure.

That's all well and good but I was speaking more along the lines of harvesting of animals a little protected and restricted than gator. I understand that and it makes sense, FOR GATOR.

Just the other week or so ago, I was riding around a LOT of miles looking for a place to shoot Dove this year.

The only field I found that was good was at Clybel. They had that one done up right and the several fields are very good. Excellent in fact.

Less than 2 miles away at the Charlie Elliott fields, they looked pretty sad and not a lot of thought put into them. The only time I shot there was awful. I suspect all those birds were at the primo managed Clybel quota fields.

And to top that off, parts of Clybel WMA cross over into Charlie Elliott so go figure.
Well, Clybel IS on the Charlie Elliott property.
I take it you haven' t been in Georgia very long right?
The things is, there's LOTS of dove hunting available that isn't quota.
For instance McEntire Rd VPA is open a lot and very nice fields very well maintained. There's also Dawson Forrest. Those fields are good now and will be for opening day too. You just have to target the other areas.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member

If some of these hunts wasn’t quota you wouldn’t want to go .