Woody, You are "Da' Man"!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
At the risk of being redundant I thought I would share my own thoughts about Woody Coffee.

As an avid reader of GON magazine, I had no idea this place existed until friends I had met through GON directed me here. Upon arriving at the Home Page, I was addicted before even registering.

My registration led me on an odyssey from newbie, to member, to Moderator and now as an Administrator of this site. Along the way I met many new friends. The best of all was Woody.

The first time I met Woody was at his fabled hunt club - "Walkinshaw". Arowflinger had arranged a hog hunt and I attended, along with my son who was just a couple of months away from enlistment in the United States Marine Corps. This would be a special hunt for us.

We arrived on a hot steamy Friday evening after a late summer East Georgia thunderstorm. I went into the clubhouse and there in the dim glow of the fading light was Woody. It was like we had known each other for ages. His gentle welcoming manner made my son and I feel "at home" immediately.

We shared a few thoughts, Woody gave us the map and pointed out several spots most likely to produce a hog and we were off. Though we did not see a hog, the hunt was exceptional and a chance for my son and I to spend the very best of quality time together. At the end of the hunt, we once again gathered at the club house where Woody thanked me for "All you do" and we were on our way home.

Some months later I killed an outstanding 10 pointer. There was no doubt in my mind where he would go so off to Baldwin, GA I went. Upon arriving at Woody's Taxidermy I was met by Woody and Greg. Again, it was just like "Old Home Week". I was not just a customer. I was a welcomed friend. I could have stayed for hours, but had to go to work as did Woody ang Greg.

Now, that beautiful mount hangs on the wall at home and every time I walk past it, I will be reminded as much of Woody as the hunt.

Many of you have similar stories. There is another story that needs to be told that most of you are not aware of.

No man can know the full impact of his life on the people who's paths he crosses because he sees things only through his eyes, not those of the folks he meets. Woody started this place as a means to keep up with customers and friends, swap lies, and share successes and failures.

Today, the membership of this message board is crowding 29,000 people. It averages between 4-5,000 posts a day, 5-600 new threads a day, 4-5,000 members logged on each day and between 50-100 new members each day.

Those new members no longer come from just Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee and the Carolinas. We regularly approve new members from every state in the Union. Between last night and today, I have approved new members from Vermont, Maryland, Texas, Ohio, Montana and Washington state. I recently approved a new member from Australia.

As I said, no man can know the full impact of his life on others. Woody's reach extends far beyond Baldwin, GA. It touches people in almost all 50 states as well as at least one foreign country. I know of at least one member on whom he had a profound effect. That would be me.

Woody, You da' man!

Attachments

• Brutus6mod.JPG
    Brutus6mod.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 381

WTM45

No man can know the full impact of his life on the people who's paths he crosses because he sees things only through his eyes, not those of the folks he meets.

How very true.:flag:

Very nice tribute, Lee.
May each of us strive to be the best person we can be, and to leave a little something for the next generation just like Mr. Coffee has.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
great post elfiii.

I am possibly the most unemotional man on the planet and yet I find myself eat up with sorrow right now.

I cant even put into words the bond Ive felt since the first day we met. every single experience Ive ever had with him left me with nothing but good.

from the many visits to the shop, to the club we shared in heard county, to the hundreds of phone calls, to the hundreds and hundreds of pm's and to the thousands of posts...it was always good.

heck for years we had a standing joke on the forum that I was really woody...so much so that at the first annual cookout back in 02 I walked up to an old member and introduced myself as woody and he believed me for a while!

the shoes can never be filled:(

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great tribute,elfiii and JT. It is indeeed sad that I never had the honor to have met Woody but I feel like I knew him.

j_seph

Great loss and is missed dearly

R

redneckcamo

awsome words Elfiii .... an that mount looks like he crashed thru the wall too look around !! still looks alive ..... an that eye is doin some serious stare-ing back ....... makes me wish I had some of Woody's art on my wall .......again ...a nice tribute !!!!!!

firebreather

I never met woody but he sounded like a great man and will be surely missed. I appreciate the chance to use this site to enrich my wifes n childrens lives and bring other people to this site. Gods speed woody.

vin-man

I would loved to have met Woody in person. He sounds like one of those rare people that left a profound mark on everyone he met.

deerbuster

Although I didn't ever meet Woody he sound like he was very loved by many people. He has made this place a wonderful site! He will be missed dearly.

Todd_GA_CO_09

You know fellas..............I never got to meet him either, but some how I know I want forget him. I come to this site everyday and I have done so since I joined years ago. I have got some of the best deals I could have ever hoped for, and I have met some incredibly super nice people. There is only one person I can thank for that. Now I will never get the chance. I too thought ole Woody was a myth. I promise ya though I want forget the ole boy. God speed Mr Woody, thank you for this site. I want forget you. R.I.P brother. Thanks, Todd.

Arrow Flinger

I couldn't have put it better Lee. I too spend several enjoyable days at Walkinshaw hog hunting. I loved the hunting but enjoyed the "shooting the bull" with Woody and the Walkinshaw boys even more. I really hated it that the hog hunting was not there this year and I missed my last chance to share the camp with hiim. We had talked on the phone a few times about doing a hunt but he didn't want folks to pay to hunt and not have many hogs anymore.
I also spent several afternoons figuring out the world at Woody's shop and enjoyed every visit. The first time I met Woody it was kind of a shock to me. I had know him online for a year or so and figured he would be alot different than he was to have started this great place. Woody was a smart man but was as country and down to earth as anybody I have ever met and made me feel welcome and right at home from that first meeting. He was my Friend from Day one.

It has been a sad couple of days since the news and I will miss him forever. This place was Woody's vision and Woody IS the reason that place is such a great and unique place.

RIP my ole friend::;

"Flanger"

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Great post.