Your 4 Playoff Teams

ClemsonRangers

if the committee believed that alabama is better than any big ten team, wouldn't they have ranked alabama #4 last week?

th

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I agree that a playoff is needed but having all 11 conferences would be insane.
I still think an 8 team playoff would be the best:
5 power 5 conference winners, 1 group of 5 representative, and 2 at large should cover all bases.

Drop the out of conference play. It serves no purpose.
That leaves plenty of room during the regular season to establish the two division champs and still have room for a protracted playoff season, and possibly not as crippled and beat up in the process.

I do hope UGA can get Christian Payne cleared before Jan 1st. He was a heck of a contributor to that team this year and a Senior. Would love to see him finish out in style. That concussion he got is a nasty one and don't know how long it takes to recover from a severe rated injury like that. He's good people. :cool:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I am in no way rubbing this in OSU's face, I'm not Slayer... :bounce::bounce: but there is only one reason that they put Bama in and left OSU out.... They didn't know which OSU team was going to show up.

They wanted four team that would make good football games, not take a chance on a blowout.

That's a fair statement. The Bucks have been hot and cold all year. Inconsistent is an understatement and the loss to Iowa is what kept them out. but the talking heads on tv are as dumbfounded as everybody else (save the sec homers)that they picked Bama. Even with the loss to Iowa tOSU has a better resume

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
That's a fair statement. The Bucks have been hot and cold all year. Inconsistent is an understatement and the loss to Iowa is what kept them out. but the talking heads on tv are as dumbfounded as everybody else (save the sec homers)that they picked Bama. Even with the loss to Iowa tOSU has a better resume

The CFP and Talking Heads created this environment by coming up with the "resume" cliche lingo. Now they're paying the price. If they had stuck with a "conference champion" only talking point we might be at a different juncture right now. But their ever wavering desire to move the goal post during the entire season brought them to a point where several coaches had valid arguments as to why their team got in.

I suspect next year might sound a bit different, IF they learned anything from this year. But journalist have proven that learning is hard for them. :rofl:

Dudley Do-Wrong

I agree that a playoff is needed but having all 11 conferences would be insane.
I still think an 8 team playoff would be the best:
5 power 5 conference winners, 1 group of 5 representative, and 2 at large should cover all bases.
Agree.

I have contended for a 6 team playoff with #1 & #2 getting a first round bye.

Just conference champs would be a disaster, you would have unranked teams from the MAC, AAC, USA teams getting demolished.

bullgator

All this uproar and the odds just came out.......
Bama is the favorite facepalm: you can't make this stuff up.:rolleyes:

Matthew6

Banned thug
in the past 2 years the big 10 has been outscored 69-0 in cfb play off games.

BuckNasty83

I also agree with jake. Bama is a one loss team who lost by 12 to a top 10 team. USC is a 2 loss team with a 35 point loss being one of those. OSU is another 2 loss team with 15 and 31 point losses.
Last season established that you don't have to be a conference champion to get in.

This committee is a joke. If you can't win, or even make your Conference Championship, you shouldn't be in the freaking playoffs, playing for a national championship.

The results on the field should decide the playoffs, not votes. It also goes without saying that needs to be a bigger playoff

bullgator

This committee is a joke. If you can't win, or even make your Conference Championship, you shouldn't be in the freaking playoffs, playing for a national championship.

The results on the field should decide the playoffs, not votes. It also goes without saying that needs to be a bigger playoff

We were saying it last year when OSU jumped their conference champion to get in. So that criteria is out the door, good or bad. So it comes down to conference championships don't really matter. The committee is going to pick their top four and they rightly decided a one loss Bama was a better choice than a two loss OSU.

Matthew6

Banned thug
go to eight teams and the sec still gets three in the play off with the barn at seven. people would still complain about that.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We were saying it last year when OSU jumped their conference champion to get in. So that criteria is out the door, good or bad. So it comes down to conference championships don't really matter. The committee is going to pick their top four and they rightly decided a one loss Bama was a better choice than a two loss OSU.

So what about a 1 loss Wisconsin :eek::eek:

MudDucker

Staff member
Committee got it right IMHO. I dislike Cryer, but objectively, the loss to Iowa was a deal killer.