API or Summit?

deerhunter270

In the future I am looking into getting a climbing stand. I like to move around a lot so this would be a good thing. I've decided on either a summit or api. They both have their pros and cons. I want a light and fast stand to put up. The api stands fit around a bigger range of trees(6in-24in), and the summit stands fit around trees(8in-20in). At both my hunting camps there are a wide variety of trees. Some places have really small trees and other spots bigger trees. The summit looks like it would be faster to adjust the cables because they have no pins. The api has pins. I've never had or used a climbing stand before so I don't the best kind.

short stop

Neither for me ---ever looked at Ol'MAN GRAND VISON . Sold my SUMMIT after hunting in 1 . Gave up TREE LOUNGE too. I hunt every day every day when gun season opens "I got a good job " so I spend good bit of time in the saddle to say -- thats my 2 cent worth. SS

H

HT2

Ss....

You beat me to the punch.....

I got "2" Ol-Man's myself.....

They are the best made!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Scouter

API Grand Slam

Luv my API Gland Slam. Don't leave home without one. I have a friend who has an Ol-Man and now wishes he had bought the API. If you climb a small tree with an Ol-Man and you have large hips, the sides will lay into you.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I hunt

From both the API 3500 and the Summit Vipers, sounds like for the situations you described you should lean towards the Summit, but be aware that you are limited on using the smaller trees by the cable design unless they have changed them in the last couple of years.

Both, IMO, are great stands and sit very well :)

leo

Snakeman

My choice is the Summit. I have two Vipers, and think they are great. I used my brother-in-law's API Grand Slam once, and thought it was too awkward to set up. It was also more cumbersome to carry, in my opinion. Granted, this was a few years ago, and I'm sure they've made improvements since then.

One of the features I like best about the Summit is there are no pins, bolts or nuts to drop in the pre-dawn darkness. Nothing ruins a morning like losing a pin or nut, and not being able to set up your stand.

The Snakeman

gobble79

I have a summit viper and love it. I haven't tried any other stands to compare it to except the old heavy home made stand that I used for years. Compared to it, it is no comparison.

RThomas

I have a Summit climber and an API lock on. I like them both. I like the fact that there are no pins to lose on the Summit. It adjusts quickly and is very comfortable.

Last edited:

Guy

I have been using an API grandslam magnum. Love it. However, the bar hits your back when leaning back sitting and digs right above the belt. I taped some foam around the bar and it helped.

livetohunt

I own both, and without a doubt the Summit is my personal choice. It is lighter, better built, quiter, and easier to use. API sold the company to someone(Great-day inc, I think). API also has poor customer service.

frankwright

I have both an API Grand Slam Lite and a Summit Viper. They are both very good stands. I think the API carries better, climbs easier and is more stable on the tree.

I would buy the Summit! What! Yea, Summit is growing and improving all the time. You can go to their website or any good sporting goods store and get parts. API was sold and only Bass Pro and cabela's carry them. You cannot get parts and who knows what the future will bring.

mpowell

after having a viper and a grand slam supreme . . .

i'd go with the API.

comfortwise, they both sit about the same in my opinion. in a big tree, the summit was very stable and i didn't mind it at all. but, smaller trees are a different story. at the time i had the summit, i wanted to hunt some smaller planted pines and i couldn't climb small ones and feel safe.

i bought an API grand slam and that's what i use now. the way it bites into the tree allows you to climb smaller trees. it's very stable.

the summit could be loud when climbing. sometimes the cable would slack up a bit once you took your weight off the stand and when you put your weight down the blocking mechanisms built into the cable would clang against the stand. i know my description here might be hard to picture, but trust me. unless you were carefully to be deliberate, it would clang. don't have that problem with the API at all.

my only gripe about the API i have is the black plastic shrink tubing on the chain wore off pretty quickly but they've come out with a better plastic now that i believe is WAY more durable. my stand is about 4 years old.

just decide which one you like the best. a friend of mine had a weld come loose on his summit viper but i suspect that could happen with any manufacturer at times. for me, after using both i prefer the API.

Trizey

SUMMIT! :clap:
I own three Vipers. One is the older steel version and two are the new aluminum models.

I wouldn't trade anything for any one of them. They are the safest, easiest, and quickest climber made IMO.

Jay Hughes

Guy

Guy said:
I have been using an API grandslam magnum. Love it. However, the bar hits your back when leaning back sitting and digs right above the belt. I taped some foam around the bar and it helped.

Have you tried to put the seat portion of the stand at more of an angle on the tree? Try to put some angle on it instead of dead level. That should help with your problem. I had the same problem and it solved it.