New gun fer squirrels and such...Savage 555 Compact.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've been kicking around the idea of a new squirrel/rabbit/bird gun, and a little Savage 555 20 gauge caught my eye in the gun store. Light, points good, feels nice, looks nice, so I went home and did some research. The 'net says it's a good one, so I went back and made the deal today.

Got it home, cleaned it up, put a few drops of Weapon Shield in some choice places and man the little five and a half pound shotgun is slick! Fit and finish is nice, and walnut rather than plastic is refreshing to me..

I put a modified tube in the top and an I/C in the bottom and took it outside. Using #9 target loads I was knocking pine cones out of trees with both barrels, both seem to shoot to the same place just fine.

Overall I'm pretty happy and jazzed up about my first O/U ever!!IMG_20230908_181856977.jpg

Will be gettin' after some more skwulls with the Grandboys this weekend!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I've been kicking around the idea of a new squirrel/rabbit/bird gun, and a little Savage 555 20 gauge caught my eye in the gun store. Light, points good, feels nice, looks nice, so I went home and did some research. The 'net says it's a good one, so I went back and made the deal today.

Got it home, cleaned it up, put a few drops of Weapon Shield in some choice places and man the little five and a half pound shotgun is slick! Fit and finish is nice, and walnut rather than plastic is refreshing to me..

I put a modified tube in the top and an I/C in the bottom and took it outside. Using #9 target loads I was knocking pine cones out of trees with both barrels, both seem to shoot to the same place just fine.

Overall I'm pretty happy and jazzed up about my first O/U ever!!View attachment 1252932

Will be gettin' after some more skwulls with the Grandboys this weekend!!
Nice!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You will, I’ve have a Stevens SxS in 20 gauge I’ve used since a kid. Money won’t buy that gun, loads of small game killed with it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I still have the Stevens 94Y 20 gauge single shot that I was given for Christmas when I was 8. My Grandsons are now using it.

They'll end up with this one too...
I like your style sir.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like it. I've been looking at that same gun in 12 gauge.

transfixer

I didn't realize Savage made an O/U ,, nice looking shotgun! my Dad used to have a Browning O/U in 20ga, had fixed chokes though, it was a great quail gun, very nice handling, I think O/U's handle great , especially for fast shooting

Latest posts