winchester model 70 question

bclark71

GONetwork Member
i have a post 64 winchester model 70 7mm
will a post 64 model 70 300 wsm or a 300 mag barrel fit and will i have to change the action?

Alan in GA

differences...

there are at least two styles of 'post' 64 actions...the Classics which are Mauser extractor/barrel face relief cut type,,and 'push feed' types that have flat barrel faces. Also,,yours is a 7mm Rem Mag now? I believe your bolt face would need opening up [lathe],,and your magazine probably won't feed the fatter WSM cases.
I think I'd just sell it and buy new/used rifle. Several WSM Winchester 70s are on the new/used racks in stores. I've seen a few NICE 'used' 300 WSMs on the used rack at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA.

The .300 Win Mag barrel should fit fine. If yours is a 'push feed' action you can have the 300 Win Mag barrel fitted and headspaced. Barrel stampings usually don't line up the same but can be fitted to align if you want them to. Always have the headspace checked. Barrel face and shoulder can be turned in a lathe to get it right. Or a reamer can be run in a 'tad' if there is too little headspace. Gauges MUST be used to make sure all is correct.
If you have a good 300 Win Mag barrel I'd have it fitted. I don't care for the WSMs,,I prefer the old .300 Win Mag.
Alan in GA.

Larry Rooks

The bolt face will except the 300 win mag with no problems, and the action will except it too, with no problems. The 7 Mag and 300 Mag use the same action and bolt face. The 300 WSM, being shorter and fatm may cause some feeding problems. If I were to take on this project, I would go with the 300 Win Mag

bclark71

GONetwork Member
Thanks for the input believe i will go with the 300 win.
in your opinon is the 300 win a better cal. than the 7 mm
also it is the push feed type

Alan in GA

about the same....

I chose the 300 for available bullet weights,,but as far as game killing ability,,both are about the same. IF I were hunting elk or larger game,,I'd go with the 300. But truth is,,either with top quality game bullets would be super.
Push feed barrels/actions are simple to 'fit'. No claw extractor relief to deal with,,,a pain in my opinion.
Alan in GA.

Larry Rooks

6 of one, 1/2 doz of the other:bounce: The 7MM Mag will handle any critter you will be hunting on this side of the big water, and a lot of critters over there too. Matching bullet
to game is the key with any caliber. You load a fragile bullet and you got nohting but a wounded animal and a hard tracking job, IF the animal can be located. Always load as tuff of a bullet as you can find, Barnes TSX for one is as good as they come, and you can actually go lighter in them since they hold together so good and penetrate so good. The 300 Win Mag is also a great round, but will really do nothing around here that the 7MM want do as good. You can get a little bit more velocity from the 300 Win but not really enough to make that much difference.
THE ANIMAL WANT CARE WHICH ONE HIT HIM:bounce:

Alan in GA

I should have asked....

...is there anything wrong with your 7 MM barrel? No reason to change out if not. Go fix something that's broken!:)
Alan in GA

weagle

One other thought. If you decide to change to a different chambering, you will come out far ahead, money wise, to just trade your rifle or sell it and buy the one you want.

Weagle