Recurve Bow

wack em

Hey guys i thought i might have a greater chance on getting some feed back from ya'll than over on the swap and sell.

I'm looking for an old recurve for bowfishing. Thought one of you guys might have one laying around. I'm not looking for anything fancy, scratches and such don't really matter. As long as it works then the older the cheaper the better!

Thanks

Blake

Al33

Blake, I am looking for one also but left handed. What poundage you looking for?

wack em

I'm looking for a right handed bow, not really sure about poundage. I don't know much about bowfishing, and i know even less about recruve bows.

What poundage would you suggest?

Al33

Blake,

There are several guys on here MUCH more experienced than I am regarding this bowfishing thing so I am sure they will weigh in for you.

I have read or heard that shooting a lower poundage bow is the way to go because of often having to shoot a lot and for long periods of time.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
If your close to a Books a Million, I would stroll over there and buy the June/July issue of Traditional Bowhunter magazine, it has 3 good articles about bowfishing in the issue. Seems everything I read, they use between 40 and 55 lbs. There are some very helpful tips on, what line and how to tie it off, type of points, shafts and reels to use. How to aim and at what angle, how light is reflacted by water, etc.
It would deffenitly be worth the 5.00 price tag on the magazine, just for that info alone, plus there is a lot of other good info in there besides, tips on shooting instinctivly to name one.
I don't have a bow to sell, but I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled.
Jerald

stickflinger

Reeves Hardware in Clayton Ga. is where I got my PSE Kingfisher, $124.00. Brand new. I got the 40lb limbs. It gets the job done. If you or anyone is interested the Georgia Bowfishing Association is having the 2nd annual State bowfishing championship on Lake Richard B. Russll lake the 19th of May, 7pm til 7am. Registration starts at 5pm. Love to have you come shoot with us. Alot of cool prizes.:flag:

wack em

Thanks for the help guys,

I'm not sure what im gonna go with yet, I'll probably wait till i get my boat rigged out unless i find a real deal.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
wack em, i would shoot a 45 lb if i could. i have shot recurves for fishing for years but i mostly shoot compounds now. the kingfisher is a great bow for fishing as is a coyote. i posted a sort of how to rig a bowfishing bow a while back in the forum if you do a search. might help a little. the vendors i listed are not only top notch, they are a lot of help. mark land from muzzy is as good as it gets and a ton of help. you can pm him here on our site.

al, i shoot longbows for hunting, but if you don't mind sharing the deck of the boat with a fella shooting training wheels, you are welcome in my boat any time!!! i am just outside columbus so maybe it won't be to bad of a trip for you.

Al33

al, i shoot longbows for hunting, but if you don't mind sharing the deck of the boat with a fella shooting training wheels, you are welcome in my boat any time!!! i am just outside columbus so maybe it won't be to bad of a trip for you.

Feral, I would be a fool not to accept that invitation and will gladly make the trip.:biggrin2:
I have never had a problem shooting alongside a wheelie shooter, I just love flingin' arra's with folks whether it be at stumps, 3D's, fish, or whatever. Neither do I shoot traditional because I think it is a purist way, I just do it because it is what I love to do, nothing more nothing less.

Remember the old Paladin TV western? Well,....... "Have Bow, Will Travel".:D

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i gotta admit al, my heart is not in the compound for bowfishing, but me and a recurve did not get along very well and i have not found a way to keep my longbows from getting messed up while i was out. it would break my heart to hurt one of those but the compound is just a machine. i still shoot instinctive and fingers and may one day try a quinn stallion for fishing. there is definatley a mistique about a longbow's shaft in the air. i shoot 4 fletch and it really tugs my heart strings to see them twirl through the sunlight. i am not the best shooter, but you would have to force me to pick up a compound to shoot deer or targets with. i change modes to a flat out cold blooded killer when i shoot fish though!!! i hope to have some pics later this week. i have already told the boy to get his "game face " on!!!