reloading question

bassmaster

the question is, have any of you guys ever loaded a batch of bullets and all of them do fine except one, i was sighting my scope and the first three done good but the fourth one went off but it sounded funny like a fizzle, and you could here it going through the woods it never got nowhere near the target, i was shooting at 100yds thats the 3rd one that has done that over about 15yrs have you got a clue what went wrong

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
sounds like you forgot to put powder in the brass,, and it only "fired" by the blast of the primer cap. Then the pressure was enough to take it down the barrel and out slow.

Hammack

I was thinking the same thing, or if you were using a powder thrower then I guess it could have thrown an oddball light charge. Always becareful a load that is too light can be more dangerous than one that is to hot.

bassmaster

reloading

i weigh one charge at a time i dont use the powder die , this is the third time this has happened through the years , is it possible the primer could have been bad, or maybe has a little case lube left in the neck might have wet the powder

killitgrillit

primers

Try not to touch your primers with you fingers, sometimes the oil on your fingers can mess them up.
I use a lee hand primer and open up the primer tray and dump them in there and then close them up.
I also store all my primers in ziploc bags and then in a water tight ammo can. Same with powder.
I also use hornady spray lube and after about a minute it dries and shouldn't affect the powder at all.
just my .02 cents worth

CAL

Sounds like to me you had a damp poeder charge.Think back what you did to the brass while it is fresh on your mine.Maybe oil got on the reloads and changed the quality of the primer.I have had two reloads that didn't have a powder charge in the brass.The primer blew the bullet mid way of the barrel.It was a 30 cal.army carbine which is a short barrel.From then on I reload one case at a time.A little slow but a whole lot sho!I also weigh each charge too!Like killit,I use a lee primer also.Never have seen anything better to me.

wildcatt

Weak Rounds

THE PRIMER WONT BLOW A BULLET OUT THE BARREL NOT EVEN A PISTOL BULLET.TRUST ME:banana:THAT WAS A LITE CHARGE.I LIKE TO LOAD IN BATCHES.resize,powder and seat.I use loading block and check the powder level in the block.I use a powder measure as I feel the differance in weighing and just dumping wont make a differance[forgot to take of caps]I do it in 50 rd lots.if you weigh powder I dont see how it could lite,your doing something else. :huh:

Dub

I don't think it was a "primer only" load. I agree completely with Wildcat in that it would have lodged the bullet in the barell.

If you weigh every charge then it wasn't a light load.

This puzzling.

bassmaster

bad load

okay guys, just recently i hand loaded 23 more rounds of 7mm mag i did everything a little different , i didnt tumble the brass this time, i resized the cases and cleaned the primer hole inside and out with a cotton swab to make sure that there was no case lube in the neck, i dont never touch the primers with my hand i pour the primers in my lee primer holder and put the lid on it, and then i weigh each charge seprate and then seat the bullet, and i still had one of the rounds act up again, i personally think i got a whole of bad primers because you can here the bullet when it going through the woods, it always leaves the barrell

Hammack

I'm guessing its a powder related problem. Primers can cause problems, but My experience has been they either set the powder charge off or they didn't.