Light/Compact Stainless Rifle?

Blue Iron

Banned
I'm looking a short, light/compact SS/Syn. Rifle in .308 Wanting to keep it around $550, doesn't have to be new, I'd really rather find a used one. What would be ya'll suggestions? I've always been partial to Remington, but I'm open minded.

QuakerBoy

remington mod 7, ruger makes a lightweight rifle, weatherby makes a mkV lightweight.

not sure what winchester has available.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
how about a 39" overall length-24" barrel (breech to muzzle)--equipped with synthetic stock,rubber sling/strap, Leupold VX-II 2.5 X 8 scope( iron sights still present), and wearing a buttstock ammo carrier with 10 rounds in it--- total weight 7.5-8 lbs------------------------------- A TC Encore and with a fluted Pro Hunter barrel a little lighter-- and there are some up for sale here on Woodys:shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

Blue Iron

Banned
how about a 39" overall length-24" barrel (breech to muzzle)--equipped with synthetic stock,rubber sling/strap, Leupold VX-II 2.5 X 8 scope( iron sights still present), and wearing a buttstock ammo carrier with 10 rounds in it--- total weight 7.5-8 lbs------------------------------- A TC Encore and with a fluted Pro Hunter barrel a little lighter-- and there are some up for sale here on Woodys:shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

Looking for a Bolt Rifle, if I was going to go the Single Shot route it would be a Handi-Rifle SS/Syn. Better accuracy and about 1/3 the price. WAY Cheaper barrels, that yes I know have to be fitted at the factory, but that 1 minor inconvenience is far outweighed by the plus's.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Compact .308

In a bolt gun Ruger has a nice M-77. I think it is the CMSR. Very light and compact. Love mine.

Stan in SC

In 1992 I received a Remington Model 7 in .308 for a Christmas present.Since then I have killed many deer with it.In my estimation the Model Seven is one of the best deer rifles ever made.Light,handy,accurate and dependable.

Stan

Hunter Blair

the model 7 is great... i had one and traded it and i kick myself every day.....

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
I love Remington but I'm really impressed with my 2 Rugers. They both shoot sub MOA with zero modifications. My next new rifle will be a Ruger SS Compact in .243 for Carli. I went to Shulers and held one the other day and was thoroughly impressed......Mauser type CRF, short, light and handy.

Robert

7Mag Hunter

Take a look at the Sako T-3 stainless.....Barrel might be a bit
long for "compact", but excellent in all other aspects...
In your price range....

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Thats not bad, Where exactly is Schulers?

Blue Iron,

There are 2. One is in Gainesville and the other is in Commerce. Great folks to deal with and their rifle inventory is on the floor s you can browse without taking a number. Even if I can find a new rifle cheaper I will buy from them.........As long as the price is close and they will match most times.

Robert

captbrian

take a look at the savage weather warrior series. short, light, easy to handle, and the accu-trigger. less than $500 to boot.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
blue, i love my stainless sb2 handi in 270. i think it was 240.00 new. you still have money left over for a good scope!!! ---- lighter than a bolt too.

Blue Iron

Banned
blue, i love my stainless sb2 handi in 270. i think it was 240.00 new. you still have money left over for a good scope!!! ---- lighter than a bolt too.

I was SERIOUSLY thinking about going the Handi route. I've already got a laminated/blue '06, but a SS/Syn. .308 would be sweeet.

Dub

I have a Remington Model 7 stainless/synthetic 20" barreled gun that I've really enjoyed.

It's accurate beyond my every expectation and a very handy little package. I recomend them highly. Not a bad factory stock, either. Excellent gripping texture.

Latest posts