Howling at the moon...?

Muddyfoots

Retired Administrator
While I was watching the lunar eclipse, last nite, the coyotes began howling. Long drawn out howls. We've all heard of "howling at the moon", but is there anything to it? Was this just a coincidence? What do y'all think?

fulldraw74

While I was watching the lunar eclipse, last nite, the coyotes began howling. Long drawn out howls. We've all heard of "howling at the moon", but is there anything to it? Was this just a coincidence? What do y'all think?

It was a by-product of Budweiser.....:bounce:

gadeerwoman

When I raised siberian huskies, they always howled when it was a full moon...always. My rottweiler was the same way. I've always heard more coyotes howl when there is a full moon than any other time. You may have noticed them more last night cause you were outside watching the eclipse.

SuthernStix

Hey, don't let the dogs and yotes get all the glory. I know a few folks that will howl at a full moon. :hair:
Try it sometime, just make sure the neighbors aren't around.

railroadjw

Dont forget science

The EARTHS oceans are affected by the moon and its phase'. It pulls and tugs on our planet everyday. It stads to reason that nature is affected by the moons force'fulness. At least thats what I think.

Sterlo58

Neighbor

I used to have a neighbor that howled at the moon after too much Jack Daniels. :banana:

Studawg170

Did I used to live near you?

Cause I watched that ecplipse on my front porch with a bottle close at hand

southwoodshunter

Moon

I was wondering that myself, my son & I were in our yard watching the eclipse & the coyotes were making all kind of noise in the woods by my house...
He was ready to go in ... he's a city boy.. he wanted to know why the dogs were howling so & when I told him it was coyotes he was heading for the door..::gone::rofl:

Buck Trax

I think you hear coyotes howl more often during the full moon because they are out hunting more due to the increased visibility.

armowarrior

back in the day my wife and i where train hoppers. Once ,while riding a train we saw a wolf howling at the full moon on top of a hill in South Colorado or north New mexico , not sure I used to think you only saw that in movies.