Do Coyotes Hurt Turkey Hunting?

garidgerunner

Does anyone have any experience with how coyotes hurt the turkey population/hunting? Our lease is getting overpopulated with coyotes.
I know that the wildlife biologists "claim" that a male coyote is responisible for killing 2 deer per year. I would have to think that the impact on turkeys would be alot worse.

Thanks

gadeerwoman

A coyote is an opportunistic feeder..if he finds something to eat, he'll eat it. But they are less a threat to turkey populations than are opposum, raccoons, armidillo and fireants. All these will destroy a bunch of eggs in a heartbeat. Once the turkeys hatch, disease is the main threat. You'll lose some young hatchlings to predators but more die of disease. Cutting down on the raccoon, opposum and armidillos will help a lot. Fireants..hard to get rid of on a large property but they will destroy eggs and very young chicks.

tyler1

I had not thought about the fire ants being a problem but I see where they could. Good point.

Ace1313

I know they do on our N. GA property I have found at least four full grown turkeys torn to shreds by coyotes in the last 6-8 months.

C

Cane_Creek

I have found turkey feet and feathers in coyote droppings, as well as deer hooves and teeth. Last week I found turkey feathers again in coyote droppings. My buddy saw one running across a pasture with a turkey in it's mouth.

But I think where coyotes do most their damage is when hens are on the nest or shortly after hatching their clutch. Sleeping on the ground in coyote country can't be good, especially if it rains overnight. Luckily so far we have had dry nights.

One method to control coyotes is soak sponges in bacon grease and tie them up in cotton twine then place on the roads on your property. Some may frown upon it. With the fawns being born and turkeys on the nest now is the time to put the sponges to them. I tried it about 6 months ago. Hardly saw a coyote track afterwards. Last few trips out on my property I've noticed a few more tracks showing up so I may hit them again, especially with new fawns and poults coming into the world.

brucemacgee19

One method to control coyotes is soak sponges in bacon grease and tie them up in cotton twine then place on the roads on your property. Some may frown upon it. With the fawns being born and turkeys on the nest now is the time to put the sponges to them. I tried it about 6 months ago. Hardly saw a coyote track afterwards. Last few trips out on my property I've noticed a few more tracks showing up so I may hit them again, especially with new fawns and poults coming into the world.[/QUOTE]

sponges? how does that work?

C

Cane_Creek

They swallow them, and can't pass them. No more coyote

gadeerwoman

also will kill any other animal that gets ahold to it..including any bird that pecks off a piece. Target the species that's the problem!

C

Cane_Creek

also will kill any other animal that gets ahold to it..including any bird that pecks off a piece. Target the species that's the problem!

I'm not so sure about that. First off birds won't eat them. Sponges don't look like food to a bird. Coyotes are attracted to them because of the strong scent. If birds do eat sponges, which is news to me, the sponges will be gone in a night or two by the coyotes.

Anyway - you can put them out the evening before. Come back in the AM to get what's left. Coyotes will smell most of them out in one night.

Fawns torn to shreds / Hens attacked at night while nesting -Or- dead coyotes.

tbgator

Banned
Sponges swell up inside the animal once the twine dissolves and plugs up the digestive system, right?

short stop

sorrry guys but the sponge thing doesnt fly ---
why ? Go ask a vet how many dogs have ever been reported dead or dying from sponges swollen up in the intestines -- it aint there . A waste of time
I got a dog at home that eats anything man made -- and yeah the sponge theory got put to the test with flying colors --- it was Purple foamy ****s for everyone in the neighborhood . She loves them big carshwash sponges not them lil dishwashing wannabees . She will eat em like candy --soap and all .

as far as do Yotes impact turkey populations ?
I say yes --Ive rolled 12 yotes in 3 yrs that came into my calling setups . 1 even tried to run off with a deak . Those stats arent a fluke .
We usta have lots of birds 15 -20 yrs ago in Green co --I mean you could hear 10-15 diff birds a day . Now its 1 -3 maybe and yote ****s / tracks are on on evry road of my prop today . We never saw yote sign 20 yrs ago.

C

Cane_Creek

I've heard the sponges won't kill dogs. Just what I've heard don't know the why? Perhaps because they chew them. One of friends dogs had to have surgery a couple weeks ago from swallowing a sock.

Did she chew the sponges or swallow them hole? Coyotes gulp their food.

I do know this. The coyote sign disappreared after I sponged them one good time, same thing on my buddies property in Alabama.

Public Land Prowler

We have seen them with turkey,hogs,and deer.We see it in their scat too!Me and several people I know have called in coyotes,and bobcats while turkey hunting.If you are seeing it..imagine what you are not seeing!

Fireants,coons,armadillos,dogs,snakes,opossums,are all major threats to eggs.

coyotes,bobcat,fox,hawks,owls,are all major predators once they are hatched.

You can believe what you want..but coyotes will kill a turkey,deer,or hog at ANY given chance!!

Now you see why turkeys are so jittery..Everything has tried to kill them since they were an egg..lol

kevincox

When I was deer hunting in Illinois I watched a coyote jump and take a pheasant out of the air as it tried to fly! They are capable of taking many turkeys and fawns if they choose to!

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Called yotes in and killed them while calling turkeys to many times for them not to be a threat to turkeys. Like Short Stop and PLP have said, They will eat a turkey and hunt one that is calling too.

But then again I have caught a yote inside a grocery store....does that mean they are shopping for groceries????;)
Tim

chambers270

But then again I have caught a yote inside a grocery store....does that mean they are shopping for groceries????;)
Tim

That sounds too good, I have got to hear that story.

I wonder why the DNR wont let us blast bobcats during turkey season?

Chris