Have you noticed?

buckpasser

That lately the turkey scientists all use this an argument for season dates to stayed delayed and possibly delayed even more.

“What other game bird do we hunt at peak breeding? We have no business killing turkeys during this time biologically speaking?”

Well, Mr Doctor man, let’s cover that further. If we hunted doves during peak breeding, we’d be killing females, and paired males that help with the nesting process. If we hunted quail during that time we’d be shooting hens and we’d be killing paired males that help with the chick raising process. If we hunted ducks, or geese, and even just shot males only, we’d be killing males that help with distracting predators and play a role in getting ducklings/goslings raised after hatch. If we could kill only rooster pheasants and male grouse during peak breeding, would we hurt their populations? I wager no, but they aren’t generally hunted by calling up for a clear shot and they aren’t big game. Also, there is no culture of spring time hunting of these species.

What say you? I think it’s yet another level of horse manure. I say they should consider getting their heads out of each others’ rear ends and understand the uniqueness of turkeys and turkey hunting. I say we need more thought and actual science instead of more repeater station biologists out there “on the landscape” when it comes to turkey biology.

cooner83

Some seem more interested in pushing their own bias and beliefs than finding out what is really going on. Not much different than Fauci or climate experts.... The evidence to support hunting being a factor in this is nonexistent. I listened to the Primos podcast on corn and turkeys. Haven't heard one of these turkey doctors say anything about that. Must be a lot of money coming their way... Don't hear anything about mismanagement from big timber companies... again how much money is moving to Mr turkey doc. I don't think that these two things are the only problems that turkeys have but if they found out they were the leading contributors they would never ever say anything publicly about it because of the $$$$$$

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Maybe turn off the radio.
Tom turkeys know where the hen nest and what areas they feed off the nest. I have seen them following a hen with poults.
The gobble is why we hunt n the spring. Nest predators are our worst enemy. From hogs coyote coon possum snakes maybe armadillo. Just a few.
Habitat in my area has changed big time. Everything in the county’s was been clear cut. The new thick growth is just to thick. A turkey ranges way further than a deer. I’ve watched gobblers in the fall fly up in the afternoon say well they roosted. Little later one takes off. I watched it fly over a mile down that river valley. Gon. Then another one takes off the other way. Same thing. Gon. One left and it goes right down the middle. Gon. All 3 miles apart. Couple days later I see 3 gobblers together back in that patch. They are truly amazing animals.
Does the prod cast ever talk about how good they can hear or about their vision? What is their range. If they don’t then they know nothing about a wild turkey. I know I don’t know much.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Drop the limit to 1, one week season, no shot smaller than #6, hunters quit hunting at noon...that should do it after 5 years

WOODIE13

cj580guitar

That lately the turkey scientists all use this an argument for season dates to stayed delayed and possibly delayed even more.

“What other game bird do we hunt at peak breeding? We have no business killing turkeys during this time biologically speaking?”

Well, Mr Doctor man, let’s cover that further. If we hunted doves during peak breeding, we’d be killing females, and paired males that help with the nesting process. If we hunted quail during that time we’d be shooting hens and we’d be killing paired males that help with the chick raising process. If we hunted ducks, or geese, and even just shot males only, we’d be killing males that help with distracting predators and play a role in getting ducklings/goslings raised after hatch. If we could kill only rooster pheasants and male grouse during peak breeding, would we hurt their populations? I wager no, but they aren’t generally hunted by calling up for a clear shot and they aren’t big game. Also, there is no culture of spring time hunting of these species.

What say you? I think it’s yet another level of horse manure. I say they should consider getting their heads out of each others’ rear ends and understand the uniqueness of turkeys and turkey hunting. I say we need more thought and actual science instead of more repeater station biologists out there “on the landscape” when it comes to turkey biology.
I have been really disappointed with the new “Turkey Science Podcast” that everyone is so excited about. I went into these podcast episodes with an open mind but saw that they are very closed minded to everything except their on beliefs. So that really turned me off.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I will say that we have a two-bird limit and our season starts the second week of April, and runs four weeks. It has always been that way as long as I can remember. We have plenty of turkeys.

WOODIE13

I will say that we have a two-bird limit and our season starts the second week of April, and runs four weeks. It has always been that way as long as I can remember. We have plenty of turkeys.
Bout the same here, quit hunting at noon also.

Toss in a fall season that runs 1 to 3 weeks, county depending

WOODIE13

If i could have a convo with any of these experts....id just want 5 minute, no whitewash commentary for each of the items below:

Big timber VS turkey habitat.

hunting over male decoys VS killing boss toms.

Late season burns on all state land VS nesting.

Legalized bait explosion VS alfatoxins & disease

Legalized bait explosion VS nesting

Just my opinion, the almighty dollar is lurking behind the reason none of these get pressure from the experts.

Avoiding topics around habitat replacement/removal or habitat alteration (i.e. baiting year round) but telling the average hunter to trust your theory that doesnt account for these items is like a doctor (pun intended) telling you that bad cough is from allergies, not the 200 packs of marlboro reds you smoke per year...(big tobacco wouldnt like that right...)

Swamprat

Swamprat
I agree with what everybody posted....states listened to one man and his non proven theories and pushing dates back yet these same states also paid you tubers money to promote the states turkey hunting.

Glen has stated it well at least for Florida, we had folks at one time at FWC who were outdoorsmen, now they are granola crunching bunny huggers for the most part there for a check with a commission run by political appointees who have no clue about public land hunting.

Kinda goes against the grain, lets promote our states turkey hunting then listen to one person and severely restrict the opportunity. Can't have both but to them it is also about license sales and no real world solutions.

buckpasser

I have been really disappointed with the new “Turkey Science Podcast” that everyone is so excited about. I went into these podcast episodes with an open mind but saw that they are very closed minded to everything except their on beliefs. So that really turned me off.

I listened a guest yesterday state that raccoons weren’t really a nest predator, only a scavenger when the hen wasn’t present. Okay!