Virginia has passed the crossbow season.

TOW

Virginia has passed the crossbow season. It will run the entire length of archery season from October to January.

Only one commissioner voted against it.

I will get more information as it comes out.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Been looking at it for a while. Thanks :fine:

Let's hear the bashing begin ::ke:

Randy

Another one bites the dust!!!

Somebody start a poll and let's see how many of us care what other state looses their bow season?

You guys knew when you posted it that I had to respond! :love:

Last edited:

WOODIE13

Randy said:
Another one bites the dust!!!

Somebody start a poll and let's see how many of us care what other state looses their bow season?

You guys knew when you posted it that I had to respond! :love:

Sounds like "GREED" but I may be wrong ::ke:

GeauxLSU

What is the current count of states with/without a crossbow season?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

WOODIE13

GeauxLSU said:
What is the current count of states with/without a crossbow season?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Here is what I found. Not the most recent, but close.

STATE XBOW SEASONS

It does not include VA, yet.

United we stand, divided we fall (to the anti's) when we start bashing another "LEGAL" hunting method. Heard this at the IBEP class, but now, after reading some info on them, I am curious to see what their "OFFICIAL" position is on their use.

WOODIE13

The sky is not falling...

Here... :fine:

XBOW NEWS

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Sounds great Tow

Thanks for sharing with us :clap:

Randy

WOODIE13 said:
Sounds like "GREED" but I may be wrong ::ke:

No actually you are exactly right. Sportsmen gathered in numbers to ask for seperate seasons for seperate challenges so they would not have to compete with other types of weapons. So I guess you could say it was greedy to want their own season? But it is all lost now? Since it has been why have different seasons? Why not have one long season where we can use anything? They want more deer killed. We all want it to be as easy as possible. What the heck, let's lobby for one long season from September to February and have at it!

reylamb

The IBEP/NBEF does not take official stands on equipment, we just educate. You will get some instructors that are vehement in their opposition to crossbows, you will get some that support them, you will get some that were against them but now support them since they are legal in this state, etc. Personally, I hate them, and wish they were never brought into the archery season. Having said that,if I were to now work to have them banned I would be helping the antis...............

For what it is worth, Kentucky voted them down this year.

WOODIE13

reylamb said:
The IBEP/NBEF does not take official stands on equipment, we just educate. You will get some instructors that are vehement in their opposition to crossbows, you will get some that support them, you will get some that were against them but now support them since they are legal in this state, etc. Personally, I hate them, and wish they were never brought into the archery season. Having said that,if I were to now work to have them banned I would be helping the antis...............

RL,
Got it and respect your opinion and actions, but, I found this while browsing the web and found this on the NBEP for their stance on Xbows (not bashing their program, either. Think is one of the best tools out there to intro someone old or new to archery hunting). More than likely, they read into it.

NY BOWHUNTERS

By looking at alot of the articles, sounds like release aids are against the rules as well.

TOW

reylamb said:

The IBEF did at one time, but have since backed off that.

The crossbow portion is at the instructors' discretion. IOW - If the instructor doesn't want to do that portion he doesn't have to. That was decided upon when a good number of the volunteer instructors said they didn't want to do it. Since these guys are volunteers they can pretty well hold the program at hostage.

I would think in a state where they are legal they should do it. If I was an instructor and didn't like the crossbow I would ask the class if they wanted that portion of the class presented and if one participant said yes I would do it. The students are the customers in this.

You are incorrect in the KY "vote". The crossbow was approved for use in all of archery season by the game commission. The process used has been in place for decades. The bowhunting groups know the process well as they have used in in the past to get what they want. IE - extended seasons.

The bowhunters decided THIS TIME that wasn’t good enough and went over the heads of the game commission and got the politicians involved in the process. That is the first time in history of game management in KY that this has happened. IOW - they deviated from the standard procedure that has served KY well for decades. Some of the past decisions favored the "bowhunter groups" immensely.

The politicians strong-armed the commission threatening to introduce legislation "to take over game management" from them.

The commission saw how that would affect hunting in KY from now on, even to the point of anti-hunting legislation, and did not want that happen. To keep that from happening, they then rescinded the crossbow proposal.

The end justified the means to these "bowhunter groups".

They have set a very dangerous precedent by doing this over the heads and an end run around the commission. Any decision from now on by the commission can be challenged this very same way. Even by anti-hunters..

Randy,

You haven't lost a thing. Archery season has GAINED hunters..

Randy

TOW said:
You haven't lost a thing. Archery season has GAINED hunters..

That is kind of my point. I do not want hunters. I want archers. Those persons dedicated to learning the challenge of archery hunting. Not those too lazy to take on the challenge.

TOW

WOODIE13 said:
RL,
Got it and respect your opinion and actions, but, I found this while browsing the web and found this on the NBEP for their stance on Xbows (not bashing their program, either. Think is one of the best tools out there to intro someone old or new to archery hunting). More than likely, they read into it.

NY BOWHUNTERS

By looking at alot of the articles, sounds like release aids are against the rules as well.

TOW - The NYB needs to update their website. That is no longer true about the NBEF.

Of course the NYB still believe in the "Marlow Report" that states that crossbows are twice as fast as compounds and that a novice crossbower can out shoot (at 60 yards) a professional compound shooter (at 28 yards).

Anyone on here believe that?

FYI -

NBEF RELEASES CROSSBOW TRAINING BOOKLET

The National Bowhunters Education Foundation has played a tactical role in securing the future of modern bowhunting through education and training. Since 1979 over 1.5 million bowhunters have taken the standardized course in ethics, responsibility, treestand safety, shot placement and game recovery. Now the NBEF has expanded its scope by introducing crossbow hunters education to their coarse by publishing Today’s Crossbow – An addendum to a Hunter Education or Bowhunter Education Course.

This unique 30-page booklet contains a bevy of hunting information that will take new crossbow hunters from A to Z. It will also provide basic crossbow safety information that should be learned by all who plan to hunt with the fastest growing discipline in modern hunting. The publication briefly covers crossbow history and then quickly dives into the ethics and responsibilities of a crossbow hunter.

It provides an in depth discussion of the different types of crossbow equipment and is filled with colorful graphics and illustrations. Among the equipment and accessories discussed are arrows, broadheads, cocking devices and sighting systems. There is also good information about setting up the proper range and the targets that should be used.

The information that is included in the shooting section should be mandatory reading for everyone before they ever fire an arrow from a crossbow. It is complete and filled with excellent tips that will assist in accuracy while preventing personal injury. There is practical information on crossbow hunting techniques, all filled with common sense safety procedures, many that are unique to hunting with a crossbow.

At the back of the training manual, there is a Section Review Exercises worksheet that will test your knowledge and help you review the information you have learned. The publication includes a directory of State Game Agencies as well as a current list of the States and Province crossbow regulations. And finally, the back page is dedicated to the Crossbow Hunter Code of Ethics.

This booklet is not only an excellent training tool, but it is also filled with lots of information that crossbow devotees will find useful in combating the misinformation that is being frantically spread by the anti-crossbow faction.

The NBEF has done an excellent job of putting this training guide together and future releases on the subject will only improve. As we all know, the laws and attitudes about the crossbow are rapidly changing making this a work in progress!

If you would like to own a copy of this publication, please call the HBM Main Desk at 320-634-3660 or email us at bowtwang@charter.net You may also use the order form that is included in the HBM Catalog Pages in the Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine . There is a $5/copy cost to cover printing, mailing.

http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=70

From the National Bowhunter Education Foundation Crossbow Safety Booklet

URBAN AREAS

In urban areas where crossbow hunting is permitted, archery hunters provide game managers with a safe and effective way of controlling burgeoning deer populations. Like all hunters, crossbow hunters contribute to wildlife management funds through hunting licenses and federal excise taxes on their equipment. They also face the same regulatory limitations and responsibility to hunt safely. They must respect the property rights of the landowner and, most importantly, demonstrate the utmost respect for the animals they hunt.

RECRUITMENT

The user-friendly design of the crossbow makes it a good way to introduce people to hunting. With the help of a capable individual or with the aid of cocking devices and the proper instruction, first-time users can expect to start shooting tight arrow groups relatively quickly. The confidence that rapidly develops when students consistently hit where they aim makes the crossbow a very effective recruitment tool. This is especially true for youth, women, physically challenged individuals, and others who are unable to develop overall shooting confidence and/or the physical strength necessary for other archery equipment. A crossbow also can be an effective hunter retention tool for older, less physically capable hunters because it allows them to extend their hunting years.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
TOW said:
Virginia has passed the crossbow season. It will run the entire length of archery season from October to January.

I'm certain that's great news for a lot of deer hunters in Virginia who will welcome the opportunity to hunt with a crossbow!:cheers:

I'm also certain there will a fair number of hunters that will erroneously claim that crossbows should not be allowed in archery season because they require no practice and can be used to easily kill a deer at 100 yds.At the same time,despite the anti-crossbowers claim of deadly accuracy and almost rifle-like range,they will assert the woods will be full of wounded deer due to the crossbow hunters!:rofl: Also,it will no longer be safe to hunt on public land during archery season....:huh:These are just a few of the many entertaining arguments I've heard over the years.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

Randy said:
That is kind of my point. I do not want hunters. I want archers. Those persons dedicated to learning the challenge of archery hunting. Not those too lazy to take on the challenge.

That is a real nice bow you have there. How fast does it shoot? Release? :cheers:

Mine. MINE. MINE :cry:

TOW

Randy said:

Most bowhunters are not "archers".

Most bowhunters do not shoot their bows year round as real archers do.

They will lay them down at the end of hunting season and will not pick them up again until a week or two before next season. They shoot just enough to make sure that they have eliminated the rustiness and then they go hunting. The high tech, high let off compounds allows us to do that, when before we had to shoot a LOT to stay proficient with a recurve/longbow. A LOT of the modern compound bowhunters see a bow as a means to go hunting ONLY. They do not love their equipment as you and I do.

I do not know about Georgia but bowhunters in Indiana can hunt with their bows during our firearm season. Very, very, very few do. I know a lot of bowhunters and I only know one that does that. BTW - He is an "archer" and not just a bowhunter..

Randy

WOODIE13 said:
That is a real nice bow you have there. How fast does it shoot? Release? :cheers:

Mine. MINE. MINE :cry:

I am not crying about mine mine mine. I got MINE! I have two leases. One is bow only and if I felt strong enough I could make the other one bow only. I am not against crossbows as a weapon just crossbows during archery season. Further I am not against crossbows during archery season if a man (or woman) has a physical handicap that will not allow them to use a bow. Lazy is not a handicap.

Arrow Flinger

38504448.jpg

WOODIE13

Echo said:
TOW said:

I'm certain that's great news for a lot of deer hunters in Virginia who will welcome the opportunity to hunt with a crossbow!:cheers:

I'm also certain there will a fair number of hunters that will erroneously claim that crossbows should not be allowed in archery season because they require no practice and can be used to easily kill a deer at 100 yds.At the same time,despite the anti-crossbowers claim of deadly accuracy and almost rifle-like range,they will assert the woods will be full of wounded deer due to the crossbow hunters!:rofl: Also,it will no longer be safe to hunt on public land during archery season....:huh:These are just a few of the many entertaining arguments I've heard over the years.

Still got to work on the 100 yd shot. :shoot:

The season can not get here soon enough. :cheers: