Virginia has passed the crossbow season.

PWalls

I just want the people who have such bad attitudes about crossbows and believe that their compounds are true archery to step up and admit that their "bow" is easier than a traditional stick and string bow and that they should have the same attitude about them for the very same reason they are against crossbows. Those drop away rests, carbon arrows, trigger releases, stabilizers, high efficiency cams, 60-85% letoffs and such are no difference in ease from a traditional stick bow as compared to the difference to a crossbow.

It is hypocritical to talk out of one side of your mouth that a modern compound is difficult and true archery and then say that crossbows are too easy and not archery out of the other side of your mouth.

TOW

duckbill said:
..AS far as Randy...Everybody has a point where they feel something crosses the line of acceptance. For him, it's the crossbow. I happen to draw that same line. ....

Funny that the "line" is always drawn for those guys at the equipment that THEY ARE USING. They don't want anyone else using any equipment that they perceive to be "easier" or "better" than what THEY are using.

Of course their "line" does move every now and then when the latest gadget comes out for THEIR BOW to makes it "easier" and "better"...

They chase "easier" and "better" and denigrate anyone else that might do the same.

There is a word for that...

duckbill

TOW said:
Funny that the "line" is always drawn for those guys at the equipment that THEY ARE USING. They don't want anyone else using any equipment that they perceive to be "easier" or "better" than what THEY are using.

Of course their "line" does move every now and then when the latest gadget comes out for THEIR BOW to makes it "easier" and "better"...

They chase "easier" and "better" and denigrate anyone else that might do the same.

There is a word for that...

The line doesn't move. It'stops when you put the bow on your shoulder in a cocked position like a gun.

Of course the line stops wear "my equipment" is. If I believe compounds are acceptable, then that's what I'll use. Traditional shooters have their line. They most likely shoot the best equipment they can get without cables roller and cams. They think the same about compounds as I do about crossbows.

Everybody has their line. You've got one, I'm sure. Suppose next year they figure out a way to ignite a powder charge propelling your bolts at 500fps(I know, it sounds silly). You'd express your disapproval wouldn't you?

TOW

Bowbender,

Good questions..

I am aware of your state's requirement of "permanent handiap" as a good friend of mine lives there.

He is a LONG time bowhunter and even does outdoor photography and writes outdoor hunting articles.

He came down with rotator cuff problems and couldn't pull 35 pounds back. This was a month before last season. I told him to get a crossbow permit.

The doc said he couldn't really put down permanent as the shoudler could be treated with cortisone shots and LOTS of therapy. He said that John might be OK BY NEXT SEASON.

John sent the form in with the "temporary" on it. He called the IDNR and actually begged them to consider his disability. No dice..

Last bow season was the first time my friend had sat out a season since he started bowhunting 40 years ago. That is pitiful that he had to do that.

But, you think Illinois is bad take a look at New York. Up there is you can wiggle one finger you can not get a crossbow permit.

TOW

duckbill,

You are missing what I am saying.

Almost every compound shooter/hunter that I have ever seen is always looking to make his shooting of that compound easier and more accurate.

As the latest do-dad taht comes along there is a clamor to buy it.

That line moves each and every time fro most of them..

If you think that the line should be drawn at just the shouldering part, what do you think of the 99% let off bow that a bowhunter is only holding 6/10s of a pound?

Does that meet your approval "line"?

duckbill

TOW said:
duckbill,

You are missing what I am saying.

Almost every compound shooter/hunter that I have ever seen is always looking to make his shooting of that compound easier and more accurate.

As the latest do-dad taht comes along there is a clamor to buy it.

That line moves each and every time fro most of them..

If you think that the line should be drawn at just the shouldering part, what do you think of the 99% let off bow that a bowhunter is only holding 6/10s of a pound?

Does that meet your approval "line"?

TOW - Yes, the 80% let off still meets my approval. My line is the shouldering and ability to lock the string. They make an apparatus that locks the string on a compound as I'm sure you know. That, to me is unacceptable.

I'm not missing your point. I understand it and you are correct. We all look for better equipment. It's the motives of some that bothers me.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. Crossbows have their place. KDOG(Kevin) uses one because of his bum shoulder(I think). As long as I'm physically able, I'm going to stick with a compund. :cheers:

matthewsman

tag me in

duckbill said:
...Everybody has a point where they feel something crosses the line of acceptance. For him, it's the crossbow. I happen to draw that same line. ................. I don't condemn you guys for shooting a crossbow, but I'd rather not see them during bowseason.

JUST MY OPINION! ;)

Duckbill,we've surely seen this before,I agree with you and Randy.That is,unless someone has some sort of limitation or disability,crossbows don't belong in the regular archery season....Everyone knows traditional stick and string is more difficult than a compound,and anyone with a little common sense realizes in most situations, a crossbow is easier to master than a compound......There is a whole deer season that any weapon of your choice is legal.......You can hunt with a crossbow,muzzleloader,traditional or compound archery equipment and rifles during the regular season.Many traditional archers and compound archers hunt the whole season with archery equipment.Most crossbow and muzzleloader hunters(with the exception of scoped 150-200yd shooters)switch to the rifle after the regular season starts.They use their chosen weapon not because of the challenge in most cases,but to extend their season.For some reason they want to kill more deer,or extend their hunting time.....Believe me I understand both desires......Randy has started an archery only club,his choice,because of his love of archery,not from a desire to kill more deer.........His love of archery is also evident in his displeasure at the legalization of compounds during the regular archery season.He has not suggested no one should hunt how they want.He has not proposed a ban on crossbow hunting.He has given equipment of substantial value free of charge to a young hunter I'm aware of.He offers to take people regulary fishing in his boat on this forum....I don't understand where the accusations of greed come in :huh: He has his own land to hunt where crossbows do not interfere with his season,he is only voicing his opinion.......

Most of us in our age group 38-45 or so had the oppurtunity to start deer hunting in Ga.well before the current 12 deer limit,Tow,so that was of little consequence in our choice of weapons.The fact is,compounds were just catching on,and were what everyone was using.I have a recurve,i am not proficient enough in it's use to consider wounding a deer with it hunting,so I will wait 'til my skill level with it is such that I am confident of making a clean kill with it,then I will use it.

Just like the stick and string shooters of old,we are dissapointed with the surging popularity of the "new"fad in archery.Unlike some of you able bodied crossbow shooters out there we readily admit that our equipment is easier to use than our forefathers was,and we are looking to, instead of investing in new "doodad"(Tow if you say that again,I'm going to puke) to graduate down to more traditional equipment.

Tow,I enjoyed your link to the free magazine offers you posted,and for that ,thank you.......As for your "yet another state approves crossbows"type post....I can only answer you as a true son of the south.....WE DON'T CARE HOW THEY DO IT UP THERE......

No offense,but it's legal here,some of us don't like it,but we deal with it,and as a fellow "Woodyite"I'm asking,are you telling us for our benefit or just to stir another round of pro/anti crossbow conversation/arguement,devisive type discussion here as on other sites?If so,please quit.If it's just to inform,please also keep us updated as to when it's shot down elsewhere too..........donnie

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Again W W

leo said:
Thanks for sharing with us :clap:

Thanks for sharing the news with us, as we have a few crossbow hunters on here it is appreciated :clap:

Also thanks for your post a while back letting us know that Kentucky was not gonna allow it this year.

For those of you that resent us crossbow hunters sharing info here on the board with each other, I hope you can get over it as we intend to keep doing it despite the attempts to trash our threads.:)

Although I have shot a compound for longer than some of y'all, if you notice, I try and stay out of the compound bow threads as I do not use one any more and really have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, and I do not feel the need to bash them because they use them and I don't .

I really hope ALL bow hunters have a great season, whatever legal tool you choose to use :cool:

TOW

leo said:
Thanks for sharing the news with us, as we have a few crossbow hunters on here it is appreciated :clap:

Also thanks for your post a while back letting us know that Kentucky was not gonna allow it this year.

For those of you that resent us crossbow hunters sharing info here on the board with each other, I hope you can get over it as we intend to keep doing it despite the attempts to trash our threads.:)

Although I have shot a compound for longer than some of y'all, if you notice, I try and stay out of the compound bow threads as I do not use one any more and really have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, and I do not feel the need to bash them because y'all do and I don't.

I really hope ALL bow hunters have a great season, whatever legal tool you choose to use :cool:

Thanks Leo... I didn't think donnie spoke for everyone at Woody's when he said," WE DON'T CARE HOW THEY DO IT UP THERE........"

I post crossbow information as I see it. Yes, I did post about the KY political reversal as well as your neighboring state of Tennessee accepting them.I'm sure that some Georgians (Woody's members) hunt Tennessee.

Donnie -"Many traditional archers and compound archers hunt the whole season with archery equipment."

Define "many", please..

My best guess is that 'maybe' 5% of them do..

I'm not "bashing compunds" as I shot one for many, many yeras. I am questioning the motives of the people that do shoot the high tech, high let off compunds with all the "do-dads" (go ahead and puke donnie) that take every easy way out for them that don't cross their moving "line" and then turn right around and bash others who use a legal archery hunting tool called a crossBOW.

BTW - I have never seen a crossbower bash any other hunter for their choice in hunting tools.

matthewsman

you can see what you want to see in this

TOW said:
I've never seen a crossbow hunter bash any other hunter for their choice in hunting tools.

I have...Here....Many times to the point of being offensive.........I have seen crossbow hunters insult the intelligence of others on here for voicing their opinion against crossbows....Obviously this is the wrong forum for it,it should have been done in the Regulations/hunter input meeetings more vigorously thoughout the state at the time of the impending regulations.....

The point is,even the most emphatic defenders of the compound/traditional season have never suggested that crossbows not be used for people with physical disabilities during the regular archery season...Leo,Bowbenders friend,3&8,anyone that has to make the choice between using them or not hunt,(with Tow's permission,I'll speak for most of us on here)hunt,hunt ,hunt,by all means hunt...If there ever came a time you can't continue to use a crossbow during bow season,I'd be one of the first to lobby for a special permit for you to use a gun during archery season :clap:

This is not my first rodeo,and English is my first language,therefore I have never had any problem whatsoever making myself understood,completly,totally,and without reservation......If you enjoy hunting with a crossbow,continue to do so.....It will not affect me or the way I hunt....If the time comes to where I have to use one to hunt,I will proudly join you with one in my hand :shoot:

The fact that I and others on here,do not support the crossbow being allowed for use by ABLE-BODIED archers during the regular archery season,does not constitute crossbow bashing....It also does not constitute the need for branding as greedy,non-compassionate,ignorant of crossbows or archery,by the resident crossbow gurus...

Take from that what you will,spin it to whatever view you enjoy,portray us however you choose....My previous post and posts have not been to degrade crossbow hunters in anyway.
Pwalls?you asked for a compound user to admit they are easier to use than recurves or longbows.I did in my last post.They are easier to use......no doubt about it. :huh:

When the idea of crossbows being easier to use than compounds is brought up.It is shot down as being elitest to ignorant to ill-informed-to greedy of the current season.And is defended by points so far fetched as to be extremist........

Leo,no offense taken.My brother has two,a Horton and an excallibur.My across the road neighbor has some older no named type with a springsteel bow on it.I've shot them all....If we ever hunted together,I'd be glad to cock the thing for you............

PWalls,if the Medieval part appeals to you,build you one with a wood forearm and frame and a hickory bow,that's what they were truly like before the graphite limbed compounded kevlared stock piece of modern technology you currently hold.........see,we can border on ridiculous too.Modern crossbows no more represent the primitive aspect any better than my Matthews represents a selfbacked Cedar longbow employed by a Native American...I have no problem admitting it.Why do you?

Tow keep up the good work,without an opposing view,there would be no debate.Just understand that because someone doesn't agree with you,it doesn't mean they are less a person or personally attacking you.It also doesn't mean they are bashing you or your threads.I do not intend to speak for everyone on here and have never made any claims as such.When I speak it is only for thse who agree but are too concerned with how they will be portrayed by the vocal pro-crossbow contingent,not for(obviously)all Woodyites.... Donnie

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I could care less what state opens a crossbow season now.

I haven't run into a crossbow hunter yet here in Georgia. A lot of the guys that started crossbow hunting here were gun hunters who wanted a early jump on the season. I know three different guys who did this, but now they don't hunt with their crossbows anymore because they said it was to dang hot and the bugs were bad!!! But a lot of guys picked up a crossbow because they were feeling their age and not able to pull that bow back like they used too. I'll do the same thing if I get to the point where I can't pull back a bow anymore!

I don't think all guys that hunt with crossbows are lazy like Randy stated. The three guys I mentioned above fall into that category however.

There is one thing I'd like to say. What TOW said is true. Some of the new bows nowadays are pretty darn nice. I shot my dad's Outback and was pretty muched amazed with it.

But one thing holds true for all bows. A person must still pull the string back and shoot. Longbows, recurves, and compounds have this one basic thing in common.

Crossbows do not have this function. Not completely that is. Don't you crossbow hunters have a special tool to lock that sucker back in position? My guess is most crossbow hunters do this before a deer walks by.

I'm not bashing so don't take it the wrong way. So if a crossbow hunter already is locked, cocked and ready, they simply have to raise up there crossbow like a gun, draw a bead on the deer, and pull the trigger.

With a bow, a hunter has to raise up, pull the string back, get a bead and release either with fingers or a mechanical release.

Pull the string back. That's the huge difference in these two hunting weapons. That doubles the amount of movement a hunter makes when a deer is 20yds away. That doubles your chance's of getting busted. That doubles the challenge if you ask me. Be it if a guy is shooting an Outback or a longbow. You've got to pull the string back on all bows.

That's my take on it. I have no problem with guys hunting with crossbows. More power to all of you and the best of luck this hunting season. But I don't think a shooting a deer with a crossbow is as challenging as shooting a deer with a bow.

Tommy

reylamb

First, as of 3 years ago, the NBEF/IBEP changed their stance in the face of changing times. Realizing states would be legalizing the weapon, they adopted a policy of education. NYBH does need to update their website, however.

Second, as far as what is taught at the classes, it is somewhat up to the discretion of the instructors. However, if anyone does not like what is taught, what is shown, how it is said, all they need to do is email headquarters and voice their issues. Having said that, good luck. From what I gather, there is a crossbow section in the new handbooks, and yes even flyers to go along with the course. However, we have had an impossible time at the local level getting any updated information from headquarters. Now that they are offering some online portions of the course, I do not look for them to be helping the states out much more at all, probably less than they have in the past.

As far as the crossbow debate. Everyone that has followed my posts in this or any other forum for any period of time knows my position, and it has never changed. IMO, crossbows should only be allowed in archery season for those that are handicapped. Having said that, I will not debate the issue as it pertains to the state of Georgia in as much as they are now a legal weapon. As such, I will not work to now have them outlawed from the archery season, my personal feelings aside. Now, we must work on educating everyone about the weapon, and the limitations of the weapon just like we strive to educate those on the limitations of the compound. For me to now work to have them banned from archery season would be working with the antis, and I have no place for that mentality. It still does not change my personal opinion of crossbows (not crossbow hunters for what it is worth), and I still do not like them in archery season. However, I have gotten over it and it is no longer worth debating.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Can you post up a link for HQ?

PWalls

matthewsman said:
PWalls,if the Medieval part appeals to you,build you one with a wood forearm and frame and a hickory bow,that's what they were truly like before the graphite limbed compounded kevlared stock piece of modern technology you currently hold.........see,we can border on ridiculous too.Modern crossbows no more represent the primitive aspect any better than my Matthews represents a selfbacked Cedar longbow employed by a Native American...I have no problem admitting it.Why do you?

I have never said on this board that modern crossbows represent the originals. Please find that for me in a apost of mine if that is what you are insinuating. I freely admit that modern crossbows no more represent the medievel ones just like your Matthews doesn't represent the old English longbow. Again, I have never said otherwise or thought otherwise.

I don't bash the compound bow. I have used one and killed a deer with one. A lot of guys at my club use them. I think they are very nice weapons. I came very close to buying a new Matthews two years ago when I got my crossbow, but a personal decision to use a weapon that I had always wanted to try motivated me to get a crossbow (not laziness). Please, find a post of mine as well where I say I hate compounds or that they are inferior or bad weapons.

What is truly sad is when I post that I have chosen to use a crossbow because my state says I can and then have to read posts on here that insinuate I am a lessor hunter with a non-archery weapon. Or, even worse, that I am a lazy hunter or even unethical.

Donnie, thank you for admitting that modern compounds are easier to use than traditional stick bows. Now please admit that someone back in time stood up to the same criticism from traditionalists to get that compound bow legalized and you now enjoy that. That is my argument. The hypocrisy from compound users that bash a crossbow when they themselves are the benefactors of that argument some years ago.

One last thing. I hope you do well this year with your compound bow and have a good time. I plan on doing the same with my crossbow.