WMA or Club,Why?

Scoutman

What's your preference and why?

reylamb

I prefer public land to clubs typically.

Personally, I do not like looking for clubs due to the numerous rules that many clubs have. Also, there are very few clubs that are archery only, especially in NGA.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
If I had to choose one or the other I would hunt public lands.I've been in a few clubs over the years and the only real advantage I've seen with them is slightly better daylight deer movement later on into the season.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
This year WMA I just cannot find a affordable club to hunt + I have several private tracts that I have killed more deer off of than the previous clubs that I have been in.

I would prefer my own land but thats in the future.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I hunt both, but if I had to give one up it would be public land. Too many times I have had folks walk up on me while on stand and I HATE dragging a deer from a mile back...especially during bow season when spoilage is a problem.

Jim

Randy

I prefer clubs as the WMA's scare me. Yes I know they are historically safe but there is something about the sun coming up and being able to see 50 peple from your stand.

Clubs can be tough. It is hard to find a good one but when you do it is the best hunting. I am proud to have two of the best in the state.

GeauxLSU

This is admitedly an uniformed opinion (since I haven't deer hunted a WMA in Georgia) but I like to know who is, at least supposed to be, in the woods with me and where they are. Just much more relaxing to me.....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Last edited:

01Foreman400

Staff member
Club

I like hunting in clubs better. I like knowing where everyone is going to be.

Darrell

Larry Rooks

Club, whay, bacause I know who is hunting there. I tried WMS land a few years ago, Peidmont, and when I had an incident, I stopped hunting public land forever. I was turkey hunting on a small food plot about 1/2 mile from the road. My partner had killed one there that monring. I went in that afternoon and set up a decoy about 20 yards out in the food plot. I had been there about 30 minutes, and seen two gobblers, both jakes and too small to shoot, so i keep sitting. Then I see another hunter walking down the road to the food plot. When he spots my decoy, about 30 yards from him, he drops to his knees, raises the gun (HEN DECOY) and unloads BOTH barrels of the 10 Ga double. guess what, the decoy was dead in line with me and him,. If I had not reacted fast enough, and roled to my stomach, that 10 ga would have hurt pretty dang bad. At 50 ayrds it would have more than likely done more damage than I care to know about. He realized what he did, and just waved and walked off. That STUPID !@# %@$# !@#$^%# ain't got no business in the woods, much less with a loaded gun. I left right then and have never been on public land since. One idiot ruined for others

Taylor Co.

Interesting thread:

I have'nt hunted many WMA's in the last 3-4yrs. But I will be hunting some this year. I used to enjoy hunting them in North Ga.(Blue Ridge WMA, Chestatee, Cohutta, Warwoman, Di-Lane). We used to camp for 7-8 days on Warwoman every year...we'd usually get 2 or three good bucks and an occassional bear.
I'll also hunt the tract in Taylor Co. everyother wkend. I thought that I had secured a place to hunt in Monroe Co. but I have not heard anything back from the landowner. Oh well, if I dont find a place or a club to join in the Monroe Co. area then I will just hunt Rum Creek. I am sort of feeling relieved to not have to worry about it and not spend the money.

Arrow Flinger

Private land for me.

I love improving the habitat, building food plots and trying to manage the herd. That is not possable on public land.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Arrow Flinger said:
Private land for me.

I love improving the habitat, building food plots and trying to manage the herd. That is not possable on public land.

What he said!

Bowhunter24

I like leaseing my own land. I feel safe in the woods that way, to many people in the wma's and some clubs have way to many people on them also that are inconsiderate to other hunters, not all clubs but the 2 that i was on in the past was that way.