Truck's Broke

SWAMPFOX

Got the word today from a bud who knows about this sort of thing...my truck is a half ton GMC 4x4, 1988, and the rear end needs to be rebuilt. He says it has "back lash and up and down on the pinion." He said the axels may also have to be replaced. He can't do the work and I am wondering what kind of money I should be looking at to have this done. I can't see having it done at the dealership but I don't want to get hosed by a repair shop. I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about this. Thanks.

Slug-Gunner

Replace it With a Used Assy....

SWAMPFOX said:
Got the word today from a bud who knows about this sort of thing...my truck is a half ton GMC 4x4, 1988, and the rear end needs to be rebuilt. He says it has "back lash and up and down on the pinion." He said the axels may also have to be replaced. He can't do the work and I am wondering what kind of money I should be looking at to have this done. I can't see having it done at the dealership but I don't want to get hosed by a repair shop. I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about this. Thanks.

Your best bet is just to try to find one in a junkyard from a same year/model truck as yours. Make sure the gear ratios are the same. Get the specification tag off yours and match the #'s up. You can swap out the brake assy's from your old unit if they are in good shape.

You can check that rear end # in the salvage yard operators catalog and they can tell you what year and models that particular rear end assy was used in - it may be common to several years models and GMC and Chevy trucks. This will give you a wider selection of vehicles to choose one from. Make sure you get a 3-6 mo warranty on "operable and usuable" and pull the rear cover and inspect it before installation. If possible, try to look at the vehicle it is being "pulled" from in order to see if it may have been damaged in the collision. If possible, look at the odometer on the vehicle to see how many miles are on it.

Oak Ridge

Good answer Slug-Gunner! I sold a '79 Chevy 4x4 to a friend of mine that I wore the rear end out in.He found one pretty easy in a junk yard. Think he gave $200 for it. And he's right about the gear ratio SWAMPFOX, If the ratios are different that 4 wheel drive will be useless! The front end will go one speed, while the rear end goes another. Be working against each other! Good luck! :pop:

red dirt

Swampfox, the most common ratios in the GM 4x4s were the 3:08, and 3:73 with occasional 3:42. most of the rears will work from even the 2wd. as long as the ratios are right. with the vin you can contact GM and get the ratio that was installed from factory. or as suggested, locate the assembly tag on the rearend a read it off.

rocket

You can find them on line all day long. Found a dana 44 front axle (wanted to get rid of the IFS)for my 88 chevy on ebay.

Slug-Gunner

(IFS) = Independent Front Suspension

SWAMPFOX said:
Rocket,
What does IFS stand for? Thanks.

I'll make an "educated guess" and say IFS = Independent Front Suspension.

:huh: :confused: :D ;) :D :confused: :huh: