Fox Squirrel Season

crackerdave

There's no separate season for them,but they're kinda scarce.I personally wouldn't shoot one unless I had the money to get it mounted.They're beautiful animals,and there's plenty of their gray cousins for meat.

Ga Sportsman

They aren't so scarce down where he is.....Get a little below Macon and they are everywhere. I am digging the black ones......Have seen some black ones in Monticello and Milledgeville, but not here in Jackson. Should I see a black one, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to take it down.

crackerdave

The first one I ever saw was a black one.I thought I was seeing a black cat running through the trees!

Lip Ripper

Thanks CrackerDave for the info. GA. Sportsman is correct we are covered up with them down here. We have black ones, silver ones, and cream colored ones running around. They are stripping our saw tooth oaks and I'm looking to harvest one for mounting purposes.

Last edited:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Plenty of them on West Point WMA.

crackerdave

That's good to know - some spots where they're plentiful.I'd like to go there - not WMA - no $$ - and get a few for a pot of squirrel dumplins I'm making for a wild game supper.They've got a good bit more meat on 'em.
Fresh meat is much better than last year's freezer-burnt! I never can figure out why churches don't have a wild game supper when huntin' season's open? Clean out the freezers,I guess.:huh::rofl:

Nimrod71

I don't advise anyone to shoot them in our area, we use to have'em by the tree full, you would see them everywhere. Now you can go years without seeing one. I only know of 2 on the 15,000 acres I hunt and travel.