How to hunt bears

bownutz

What's the best way to hunt bears on public land? Spot and stalk? Never hunted bears before, early season strategy?

olhippie

....Scouting out an area for fresh sign is a first step toward a successful bear kill. Taking a stand in a prime location,wind in your favor, is deadly quiet, and deadly effective, "IF" the stand was well chosen based on scouting results. Just be prepared to be patient!

....The use of calls, and scents where legal, can up the odds of quick encounters. It is to be noted that baiting bear in Georgia is illegal, but scents applied on one's person would be a grey area I believe. Enough said.

WTM45

Food sources. Read the sign. Stay very quiet and try to control scent. Bears are much quicker than they seem, so be as careful with movement as you can be.
They move at lightning speed when startled or spooked!

Dana Young

hunt prime bear habitat and just hunt bear can't see well and they usually will just walk away if they can only hear you and not see you don't trybto make it harder than it is hunt like you deer hunt but be in bear habitat in the north east portion of the state.

bownutz

The sign i found was bears, but there is no way to get a stand in there. I was lucky to still have my bow when i reached the ??????

Belk

Bear Sign? dropings & tracks, but what other signs should a green horn look for? White oak limbs broken off? Any good how to hunt bear books to get me started?

Mattval

All good posts!