Blackbeard Island

MOON DAWG

I'm looking for information about Blackbeard Island. Our group did not get drawn for the Dec. archery on Sapelo so we are looking for alternatives. Is Blackbeard similar to Sapelo? I know they are nearly touching each other, so I would assume the deer population would be about the same. How many hunters normally show up for the Dec hunt, and can it be crowded? Would you recomend a bycycle or walking? Is the dock close to the camp site? Are there any restrictions on gear? These are some of the questions I have. Any help would greatly apreciated.

Mac

Never been but have talked to people who have

I understand it is very similar to Sap. but maybe thicker.

I have hunted a federal islands Wassaw and Cumberland and if they will allow bikes (wassaw yes, cumb. no), that is the way to go it sure saves a lot of walking. It gets you away from the crowds.

I understand Black B is archery only and the population is probably a little larger than Sap.

Hope this helps a little.
PS I am from Toccoa orginally.

PAPALAPIN

Watch For Rattlesnakes

I have never been ther, but I remember reading article about it years ago and the one thing that sticks in my memory is LOTSA RATTLERS. If I remember correctly, they are protected and you cannot kill them. Unless, I guess, in the case of self defense.

Seems like I remember a thread here last year where some one killed a small one and put it in the latrine to scare some one. When the Rangers cought wind of it, and no one would own up to it, they shut down the hunt and made everyone leave. Caused quite a controverysey

I envy you the trip. I would love to make it one year.

BowArrow

Moon Dawg

Sent you an E-Mail on Blackbeard. If you need any more info. please advice.

I forgot to mention, I believe success rate is about the same as Sapelo. I have been on Blackbeard hunts when eighty deer were killed the first day. Also some members of our club would shoot all of their arrows the first morning.