Metal detecting trip.

birdman1

I would like to get together with a few other "GON" folks this winter and do some metal detecting to seach for buried treasure i have a few places we can go or if you have a place we can go there also, might find some rocks too:fine: just let me no folks, Georgia is full of history about 6-8 inchs deep you just never no what you are going to find could be on the surface, native american, revolutionary war period, spainish items the sky is the limit.:cool:

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
My brother bought an old early 1800's house in Meriwether county that has several out buildings. Might be an interesting place to look. I don't own a detector yet but I can get one. 1/8th Cherokee here . My grandmother was half.

birdman1

Sounds good guys i should have stated after deer season, But any time after is great for me, mr dave if you need a detector i can get you one.

birdman1

detecting

Im in but some of the places I got in Greensboro are gonna be off limits during deer season.

sounds good you just let me know.

birdman1

detecting

Im in but some of the places I got in Greensboro are gonna be off limits during deer season.

lots of revolutionary war artifacts still to be found out in that area.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I don't have a metal detector, but I'd like to go if ya'll are in middle Georgia.

Jack Flynn

I'll go for that! Here's some pics of the last 3 HOT months. The big timber rattler was the end of todays hunt. I almost stepped on him 20 ft from the truck but my ground shark made it's mark. I've got a lot of places to hunt "when" the grass dies in several weeks that I aquired permission to hunt over the summer. I love shootin coins but will hunt anything....
2009_0729ETracWashington0012.jpg

2009_0729ETracWashington0018.jpg

2009_0824Silver0003.jpg

2009_0710ETracfirsthunt0090.jpg

2009_0602DD7KHZWillistonhunt0010-1.jpg

2009_0531DD7KHZfinds0046.jpg

2009_1004Rattlesnake0004-1.jpg

Ducks4Me

Banned
I like to look for coins too. I am fairly new to metal detecting but have found a few coins but nothing realy great.

Ytka

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what's a good entry level detector? I am interested in getting into it, but don't want to spend a fortune on something that I may or may not like.

Jeff Raines

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what's a good entry level detector? I am interested in getting into it, but don't want to spend a fortune on something that I may or may not like.

There are so many to choose from,but I'd say a good all around starter detector would be a tesoro cibola or the tesoro vaquero.

birdman...set a date and place and I'll do my best to be there

birdman1

There are so many to choose from,but I'd say a good all around starter detector would be a tesoro cibola or the tesoro vaquero.

birdman...set a date and place and I'll do my best to be there

i agree

boneboy96

I just bought my 1st detector last week from another member on Woody's...I'd like to start out with a group so I can learn the curve and my machine. Thanks

the r.o.c.

i inherited one from my father-in-laws estate. i dont know anything about it. if you go by dials and such, it must be a good one. ive played around with it in the back yard, but would be very interested in learning more about detecting. some of our mountian land around white co, smithgall woods still has gold in the ground and streams.

Ytka

I would be interested in meeting up to learn the ropes, even if I don't have a detector by then.

Ducks4Me

Banned
I dont know if this is against the rules so you can remove this admins if it is but a good metal detecting and treasure site is treasure quest.

Bounty Hunter

Just thought this would be interesting reading ..... I'm sure this is not the only "lost treasure" in the world, and Georgia has many stories of lost gold to keep the juices flowing.

Jobless Man Uncovers Gold Hoard with Metal Detector

An unemployed man has unearthed the largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold ever found with the help of his metal detector. Experts are now calculating its value—a process that could take more than a year because of its size.

Terry Herbert from Burntwood, Staffordshire, stumbled on the hoard in a private field with his trusty 14-year-old metal detector. Over five days in July, the 55-year-old dug up a fortune on the farmland near to his home. The find was declared as treasure by coroner Andrew Haigh, which means the cache will be offered for sale after it is valued.

More than 1,500 pieces of treasure—including around 11lbs of gold and 5.5lbs of silver—has now been uncovered. Archaeologists believe the hoard dates back to the seventh century and may have belonged to Saxon royalty. Among the riches are warfare paraphernalia, including sword pommel caps and hilt plates, often inlaid with precious stones.

Leslie Webster, former keeper at the British Museum's Department of Prehistory and Europe, said the find would "alter our perceptions of Anglo-Saxon England as radically, if not more so, as the Sutton Hoo discoveries."

"(It is) absolutely the equivalent of finding a new Lindisfarne Gospels or Book of Kells," he said.

Dr Kevin Leahy, national finds adviser from the Portable Antiquities Scheme, added that while the quantity of gold was amazing, the craftsmanship was "consummate. Its origins are clearly the very highest-levels of Saxon aristocracy or royalty," he said. "It belonged to the elite."

For more information, read the full story on SkyNews.com.