Distance ?

R Smith

On different deer forums I have seen people berated for making long shots on deer. I personally have a taken deer out at 470 yards. I have a rifle that has been tweeked and practice out to 500 yards under hunting conditions regularly.
The trend now in turkey hunting seems to be to get the biggest gun you can......face it,a 3 1/2" in a 12 gauge will detatch your retinas :hair: .... and tweek it to shoot them at distances further than the average shot gun should shoot.

I personally shoot a 2 3/4" 12 gauge that has had the forcing cone lengthened and with a XXXFull comp - n - choke will give me a pattern like a rifle up close. I shoot a scope for that reason, I can get the most dense part of my pattern in the triangle of the scope. I also can use the triangle of the scope as a range finder. At 10 to 20 yards, with my gun, I can deliver a lethal dose of #6's to the head and neck area and not put a pellet in the breast.

But, I also prefer to call them in as close as possible. To me that's 90% of the hunt, knowing I have fooled that tom at his own game.

What's the deal in shooting them at distances of 45 yards and out? No flame here, I have taken several birds (15+ years ago) at distances of 40 to 50 yards and every bird I shot at those distances had so many pellets in the breast you could break a tooth eathing them. Just wondering.

Al33

I haven't heard many talk about shooting them 45+ yards, but I suppose if you and your gun can do it and you care little about the grand finale, then have at it. None of my toms have been killed out in the open, so it is rare I would even get a 45+ yard shot even if I wanted to take it. Like you, I killed a few in my early years that were way out there, but now I would rather wait and watch.

killNgrill

I have still yet to get one, and refuse to leave the woods this year until i do. To each his own, out of respect for the bird you should only take a shot you are completely comfortable with. for some that may only be 20 yds, for others it may be 50. You practice with your equipment and know your limitations. I would think it would be more fun to get them inside 35 yds myself.

hawglips

Banned
R Smith said:
I also prefer to call them in as close as possible. To me that's 90% of the hunt, knowing I have fooled that tom at his own game.

Ah, the essence of turkey hunting...

Hal

alex30808

As we grow as hunters we begin to grow respect for the game we hunt...I am only 31...so no...I am not old to some and to others...well....but what I am getting at is that in the beginning of my turkey hunting...it was about numbers as it is with all folks when they start hunting new game...then the respect comes into play...now I do not take a bird if he' not under 20 yrds...I have a Mossburg 835 with a Comp-N-Choke .665...so I know my pattern is very capable of taking a bird at 45+yrds but wheres the sport in that?? I have had a jake step on my vest seat, and taken two birds that were within 10 yards of the barrel...and to me it's all about the show now...FEELING him gobble, FEELING him spit and drum...Watching him Vibrate as he struts....these are things that cant be FELT if he's killed at 40+yrds....but that is just my opinion...

KillnGrill...Good luck to ya bud...I do hope you take a trophy home this season.

S

spraggins

any of ya'll are welcome to hunt w/ me anytime. i'm glad to see that the videos and long distance rage hasn't polluted everyones logic. if you know your shotgun, then you will realize your true window of success depends upon not only pattern density, but speed and retained energy, as well. i, also shoot 2 and 3/4'' shells from a custom barrel. they give me the ability to kill a tom farther than i intend to shoot, which is 40 yds, max. i have no beef w/ someone who can shoot a rifle and kill deer beyond the normal range of the average hunter, but a shotgun pellet just doesn't retain enough energy to do it's job on a turkey at long ranges. i put my faith in my woodsmanship and calling ability, for that is what puts turkeys in my fryer every spring.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Opinions are like bxxxholes everybody has one. I personly object to shooting a deer that far. I also object to shooting a turkey way out. I try not to berate anyone that does. I think some people just want to see how far they can kill one.
I like 20-25 yards. This is the distance that gives me the best chance at killing the bird cleanly. Will i shoot one at 40, if he is not coming any closer you bet.
Each individual need to no his gun and abilitys and decide were his max range is.

bull0ne

Banned
I personally do not plan to shoot a bird past 30 yards but i've got a setup that will allow me another 15 yards of error in yardage estimation.....just in case i misjudge the distance across a field.

It's a close-up game for me......if the bird is across my shoulder or let walk for another day it matters not.....if i call him to 30 yards or closer i've had a sucessful hunt & won the battle of wits IMO.

short stop

I shoot a20 ga --I will still shoot one at 40 without a second thought .I have seen friends with the 3 .5 '' anti aircraft guns ---I have seen them push shots 60 plus yrds --for what and why I have yet to answer it for myself :crazy:

257 roberts

I put markers at 15yrds and 30yrds and 45yrds if the bird is in the markers he is in trouble i shoot in old win. m24 16ga. choked mod. and full and a mag load of no.5 and it kills birds stoned dead.