Looking for a New Turkey Gun

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
browning wicked wings
Best performance
always only increases in value

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I agree. Unfortunately my Mossberg (which I love) has a 28” barrel and no threads for a choke. I really want something in the 21-24” range and the ability to take a Turkey choke.
Buy another barrel that does

Dupree

You may be able to find one cheaper, there is a bunch on eBay. Getting a new barrel for your existing gun would probably be your cheapest route. Pair it with a choke in the .565-.575 range and some apex (or other 1 5/8oz) loads of tss and you should have a forgiving pattern that will kill one further than you should be shooting at them 781DBF47-8F7D-48C4-8DE4-69C53AD434AC.png

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
How short is too short on barrel length when it comes to a “Turkey gun”? I know, I’ve seen the video where the guy kills one with a .410 pistol, but that’s an outlier. I mean at what point do patterns really suffer? Or is it an aiming issue. I’ll be the first to say I’m uneducated on the matter. But I am definitely paying attention to this thread cause I know ill learn something.
I am curious how the new gun I got coming will pattern with an 18.5” barrel……comes with 3 chokes. I wished my current barrel was shorter too. Just an FYI @crucible02 , the 12ga I got coming has great reviews is semi-automatic for $229++ the pump is $199++ coming from PSA

crucible02

Thanks for the help everyone. My debate is now between sending my current barrel to William at Sumtoy or buying a new one. I like the idea of having a custom Sumtoy choke and it looks like that will be the cheapest route.

And who knows? I may buy one of those Mossberg SA-20's as well in the offseason. Cant have too many guns, right? Haha

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks for the help everyone. My debate is now between sending my current barrel to William at Sumtoy or buying a new one. I like the idea of having a custom Sumtoy choke and it looks like that will be the cheapest route.

And who knows? I may buy one of those Mossberg SA-20's as well in the offseason. Cant have too many guns, right? Haha
No you cannot! And the wife doesn’t even get upset much. Mine just says, “well I bought some perfume “.

crucible02

You may be able to find one cheaper, there is a bunch on eBay. Getting a new barrel for your existing gun would probably be your cheapest route. Pair it with a choke in the .565-.575 range and some apex (or other 1 5/8oz) loads of tss and you should have a forgiving pattern that will kill one further than you should be shooting at them View attachment 1221051
I actually went ahead and bought that barrel. It's new and comes with 3 chokes plus the wrench. That price isn't cheap but it's cheaper than buying a new turkey gun and I get to keep my old 28" barrel that can be used for dove and duck if I want.

deast1988

Walmart 870 youth, then project gun it.

Meadow Creek fast Fire 3

Add a choke

Add a pistol grip

I built mine over several years.

Had Sumtoy, do action, trigger, barrel, drill and tap

Cerakote came another year later

It’ll shoot.

.575 Indian creek and an Apex Small town hunting at 40yds.

Attachments

• 97A6D609-4D0C-4537-9B6F-CF43E2D2C53E.jpeg
    97A6D609-4D0C-4537-9B6F-CF43E2D2C53E.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 32
  • 6F96A44E-D305-40A0-9704-78077666C0DC.jpeg
    6F96A44E-D305-40A0-9704-78077666C0DC.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 32

Stevie Ray

I actually went ahead and bought that barrel. It's new and comes with 3 chokes plus the wrench. That price isn't cheap but it's cheaper than buying a new turkey gun and I get to keep my old 28" barrel that can be used for dove and duck if I want.
Having options is a good thing!

crucible02

Meadow Creek fast Fire 3

Add a choke

Add a pistol grip

It’ll shoot.

I like that! That’s basically what I’d like to do with this old 20 gauge. Just slowly build it into my go-to turkey gun.

OffTheBeatnPath

Meadow Creek fast Fire 3

Add a choke

Add a pistol grip

It’ll shoot.

Killer set up right there! It’s tough to beat tss out of a 20. I’ve been very pleased shooting apex out of mine

deast1988

Killer set up right there! It’s tough to beat tss out of a 20. I’ve been very pleased shooting apex out of mine
If I could redo it, I’d forgo the forcing cone and the rail and just do a meadow creek. It shot high 300s” with #9s with a .555. Went with a .575 to really open it up and it barely did lol. Buddy of mine was backing up a dude before TSS was cool. His buddy shot at one right at 50yds, with a #7 hevi shot. Bird took pellets but wasn’t down, he let it roll, and that one got creamed. He followed it up on the running mate. Apex #8s, do like 270-280s with the .562 I was using. His buddy got on there and ordered 5 boxes on the way home from that hunt. Lil 870 impressed some folks. But I’ve had it lengthened polished, all kinds of under the hood stuff.

WishboneW

How short is too short on barrel length when it comes to a “Turkey gun”? I know, I’ve seen the video where the guy kills one with a .410 pistol, but that’s an outlier. I mean at what point do patterns really suffer? Or is it an aiming issue. I’ll be the first to say I’m uneducated on the matter. But I am definitely paying attention to this thread cause I know ill learn something.
I am curious how the new gun I got coming will pattern with an 18.5” barrel……comes with 3 chokes. I wished my current barrel was shorter too. Just an FYI @crucible02 , the 12ga I got coming has great reviews is semi-automatic for $229++ the pump is $199++ coming from PSA
I have a 20” barrel for my 11-87. I have had to chase every Turkey I have shot with it regardless of shell used even as close as 10 yards.

My 870 with 24” barrel and long beard #5’s @10 yds.

Attachments

• 6E00879E-A206-4116-A3E2-E1772EA69C63.jpeg
    6E00879E-A206-4116-A3E2-E1772EA69C63.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 9

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have a 20” barrel for my 11-87. I have had to chase every Turkey I have shot with it regardless of shell used even as close as 10 yards.

My 870 with 24” barrel and long beard #5’s @10 yds.
Then velocity perhaps? That’s crazy

WishboneW

Then velocity perhaps? That’s crazy
Same trueglo gobble stopper choke as well. Patterns great on cardboard too.

Just my experience with that one short barrel. Others folks probably have different experiences.

I bought a Stevens 301 in 20 ga and did not like it. Sold it.

Wish I could have my Stevens 94 threaded for screw in chokes. Took it to Bob in palmetto. He said not possible. Modified 20 ga barrel. Sure is a rabbit killer tho.

Gaswamp

Same trueglo gobble stopper choke as well. Patterns great on cardboard too.

Just my experience with that one short barrel. Others folks probably have different experiences.

I bought a Stevens 301 in 20 ga and did not like it. Sold it.

Wish I could have my Stevens 94 threaded for screw in chokes. Took it to Bob in palmetto. He said not possible. Modified 20 ga barrel. Sure is a rabbit killer tho.
It can b done by the right gunsmith