Looking for a New Turkey Gun

crucible02

So, I am in the market for a new turkey gun.

I have hunted with an old Mossberg 500 20 gauge with a modified choke barrel. Then several years ago, I got a Tristar Raptor 12 gauge and hunted with it for a while. Really like that gun but its very heavy and a bit longer than I like in a turkey gun (28" barrel). I picked up a Stevens 301 410 some time back and love it for the weight and ease of use but it shoots low, even with a red dot. Not to mention, it has its limits on distance.

I'd really like to get something that is the best of both worlds - lightweight, short barrel but has the thump and distance of my 12 gauge downrange.

Any recommendations?

ol bob

A Mossberg 500 20 gauge with the right choke, and TSS # 9, will kill turkey a lot farther than you should ever be shooting at them

Gator89

Here is a thread form a couple of months ago to consider if you have the coin to drop.

crucible02

A Mossberg 500 20 gauge with the right choke, and TSS # 9, will kill turkey a lot farther than you should ever be shooting at them
I agree. Unfortunately my Mossberg (which I love) has a 28” barrel and no threads for a choke. I really want something in the 21-24” range and the ability to take a Turkey choke.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
My buddy that is wheelchair bound bought a Mossberg SA-20 guage for this season. I hunt with a Mossberg 500 20 guage. While we were hunting together I held both guns and I couldn't believe how light the SA-20 is compared to the 500 20g. Both guns shot the same with TSS but the weight and the pistol grip on the SA-20 had me wanting to trade mine for one. Give it a look before you buy. It's very lightweight and short barrel. Mine is a 22''barrel and I think his is 20-22''.

crucible02

Here is a thread form a couple of months ago to consider if you have the coin to drop.

Haha I saw that. No way I’m spending that kind of coin on a Turkey gun.

Stevie Ray

I borrowed my wife's Mossberg 500 Youth 20 gauge, threw on a choke, a red dot and shoot TSS's with it and love that little gun. A setup I'd certainly recommend.

I'm leaning towards a Mossberg SA-20 for myself.

Last edited:

OffTheBeatnPath

I've got a late 90s model 1187 20 I've been toting around the last 2 years and I love it. Got it from a member on ODT. It hits just as hard as my 12 does and a little easier to carry around.
Depends if you're a pump or a semi guy? It's hard to beat an older mossberg, or rem pump. Plus you could most likely find one by the weekend on ODT. Spend a little more money and its hard to beat a benelli m2.

crucible02

I've got a late 90s model 1187 20 I've been toting around the last 2 years and I love it. Got it from a member on ODT. It hits just as hard as my 12 does and a little easier to carry around.
Depends if you're a pump or a semi guy? It's hard to beat an older mossberg, or rem pump. Plus you could most likely find one by the weekend on ODT. Spend a little more money and its hard to beat a benelli m2.
I really like pump for turkey hunting. And I already have a 90's model 500. If I could find a gunsmith that could shorten the barrel and thread it for a turkey choke, that might be the route I take rather than buy a new gun.

ol bob

Send your barrel to Somtoy,have it cut and threaded, or buy another barrel eather is cheaper than a new gun.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I'll throw in with those last two recommendations up above.

Mossberg 500's have the best aftermarket/parts support of anything other than an 870. Ebay and Gunbroker will both have several barrel options for you to choose from...

(After just a quick Ebay search, I'm looking at 20 gauge 22" ribbed barrel that's threaded for chokes and reasonably-priced.)

Last edited:

crucible02

I'll throw in with those last two recommendations up above.

Mossberg 500's have the best aftermarket/parts support of anything other than an 870. Ebay and Gunbroker will both have several barrel options for you to choose from...

(After just a quick Ebay search, I'm looking at 20 gauge 22" ribbed barrel that's threaded for chokes and reasonably-priced.)
Can you PM me the link?

Big7

The Oracle
I have 7 shotguns and my go to Turkey gun is a NEF Pardner with a short barrel and fixed full choke. It has a 3 1/2 in chamber. A 2oz load of 2 or 4 lead shot is what I shoot.

Doubles as a deer gun with 00's and a 3 1/2 inch #4 Buck with 54 pellets is rough on a sounder of pigs. I killed 4 small pigs with one shot of that.

Don't know if you can find a new one now, but I bought mine 10 or 12 years ago for $129.00 at Franklins. All that was needed was a roll of Allen brand camo tape. You want to use Allen because it is a dull and quiet fabric. I did barrel and all. Everything except the receiver which came dull black oxied.

Nice little gun that hits like a hammer.