Looking for a New Turkey Gun

crucible02

Same trueglo gobble stopper choke as well. Patterns great on cardboard too.

Just my experience with that one short barrel. Others folks probably have different experiences.

I bought a Stevens 301 in 20 ga and did not like it. Sold it.

Wish I could have my Stevens 94 threaded for screw in chokes. Took it to Bob in palmetto. He said not possible. Modified 20 ga barrel. Sure is a rabbit killer tho.
I bet William at Sumtoy could do it.

WishboneW

I bet William at Sumtoy could do it.
Maybe.

Bob said that the metal of the barrel was thick enough, however, once inserted the end of the choke in the barrel would not be flush but would have lip. Apparently the barrel is slightly larger in diameter than the outside diameter of the choke tube

Gaswamp

I believe they (stevens 94) would have to b tru-choke because of the thin wall.

Gaswamp

My Stevens 301 in 20 gauge is all the turkey gun anyone will ever need. 40 yards with apex 9s
got a young friend that has one. He been putting them down with Winchester longbeards. Dang Savage has sold a load of those guns so great marketing. Just can't get over it being made in China. But the price is hard to beat for ready made turkey gun

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Lots of economical choices...rebarrel of a 500. Another SA20 owner here, turkey hunted 3 yrs shot 6 times. Once to pattern #5 XX at about 25 yrds, next 5 brought turkeys home. I know "The Miss" is coming, but ain't happened yet. It's a great little gun! Haven't taken the 870 Express 20g out of the case since I bought it during turkey season.

crucible02

UPDATE:

New barrel came in and I think it’s going to be the ticket. Put it on this evening and I’ll pattern it tomorrow. Had a Mossy Oak graphics kit laying around… so I threw that on, as well. If she shoots, this will definitely be my go-to gun.

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations!

Attachments

• 2062C8C3-118D-47ED-A557-404F142C462E.jpeg
    2062C8C3-118D-47ED-A557-404F142C462E.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 564796A1-6CE9-4F34-960B-C2BE731C34CE.jpeg
    564796A1-6CE9-4F34-960B-C2BE731C34CE.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 811F6B2C-1A74-44FC-BD41-9E2A80F80D9D.jpeg
    811F6B2C-1A74-44FC-BD41-9E2A80F80D9D.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 17
  • B79A8FE0-1F21-4AE7-A252-EF310831C63E.jpeg
    B79A8FE0-1F21-4AE7-A252-EF310831C63E.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Permitchaser

My turkey gun is a Mosberg 865 (maybe) 12 gauge takes 3 1/2” shells I call red bananas. I have a Primos tight wad choke on it. I’ve had it for years and it’s done the job on gobblers

Robust Redhorse

A Rossi "Tuffy Turkey" in .410, with a red dot scope and Apex 3" Turkey loads weights hardly anything, and will shoot a tight enough pattern that 50 yards is really not too far, if you get it "dialed-in."

billy336

A pawn shop 870, 3” if you can find one, then put a Hastings barrel on it. That combo has worked for me for years

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Never saw much need for a specialty shotgun, just use what I use, familiarity is key to me.

Bought a EAA GIRSAN 12 gauge, 28" barrel, 3.5" built around a Benelli action for $389 two years ago and it runs like a top.

If their turkey gun runs like it, I would get it.

Good luck on your gun.

Core Lokt

I bought a Yildiz semi auto 20 about 5 yrs ago for duck hunting. Got tired of the heave 12 ga. Got a turkey choke a few years ago and shooting Federal TSS it will kill them farther than you should shoot one. About 4 months ago I bought a Franchi A3 in 20 and with the TSS and the right choke it will do the same. Both are 26" barrels and weigh 5+ pounds. Really pleased with both.

THis topic is like ford or chevy.... Very opinionated.

Core Lokt

I know several people that have the stevens .410 single shot and have them set up and will kill turkeys past 50 yds. I'm talking dead....

WOODIE13

I'm too cheap for TSS and turkey choke, they aren't that hard to kill compared to a goose or duck.

WOODIE13

Shot a Turkish youth auto the last couple years, fiochi golden pheasant #6s, they all died

Hillbilly stalker

Y’all better watch them low end shotguns like the “Hatfield “. I just watched this video and the boys shotgun clicked 15 times on 3 different shells while he was drew down on a couple long beards. It was a miracle it finally went off. He tried several different shells in the beginning.

beginning.

WOODIE13

Y’all better watch them low end shotguns like the “Hatfield “. I just watched this video and the boys shotgun clicked 15 times on 3 different shells while he was drew down on a couple long beards. It was a miracle it finally went off. He tried several different shells in the beginning.

beginning.
Dropped mine in Bluestone lake mud when my seat broke, I rolled out too. Didn't have any oil, bottled water and paper towels...it still ran all day

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

beginning.
That’s crazy, wow.
I shot my new gun yesterday and was pretty pleased with the pattern coming out of an 18.5” barrel. It shot to the right, but it’s almost like a youth model cause the stock seems smaller than my other one was. It seemed to naturally want to line up to the right using he white dot front sight and the rail. It feels great though and I like it way better than the long one. Gonna put this red dot on it when the rail gets here and we’ll shoot it some more.