I regret not killing that jake...

hawglips

Banned
I was hunting some VA public land this past Saturday (last day of the season) and was carrying my .410 loaded with T9s. I hadn't yet had a chance to perforate a turkey's head with it that set up this year, though I'd carried it out three different mornings.

A jake appeared out of nowhere at 40 yds, and he saw me before I saw him. He gave me about 5 seconds, but I didn't shoot him.

And I wish I would have.

Covehnter

Ah, he'll have a full roll gobble and 10 inch whiskers next year- introduce him to the 410 T9s then. I have no doubt you will.

hawglips

Banned
I hope I get the chance at him next year if not before.

He had two buddies with him, and come this fall when the VA season comes in, they'll all have their adult plummage in, and will have a few more inches of beard...

boparks

Look at it as "Deferred Satisfaction" thats drawing interest in the form of spur and beard gain that you can cash in on in a year:biggrin2:

Last edited:

hawglips

Banned
Never regret not shooting a Jake.....

This is the second time I've regretted it.

The first time was a few years ago in a swamp on a FL WMA. I tried my best to kill him and I was not skilled enough to do it. Pulled out all the stops and just knew my last trick was going to result in his demise. But he beat me fair and square. I would have been proud to have carried that bird out on my back.

Killdee

Just my opinion but when you pass up a bird you walk up on, you shouldnt regret it, I have killed a tom or 2 this way and felt no satisfaction in doing it. I have no problem in how anyone else hunts, this is just the way I feel about it. You passed him up at the time for a reason so you shouldnt regret it. I walked up on a 2 year old bird (I think) 2 weeks ago at about 40 steps. He stood there for plenty of time to shoot, then slowly walked around the corner and hauled butt, cause when I got to the field edge he had disappeared.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Forget the trophy for next year, if you have regrets, maybe take up fishing. Legal means no regrets, just my thoughts.

Pull the trigger, regret it later;)

They eat a lot better any who, right beside a big juicy hen;)