Prepay for Funeral?

RangerJ

Let me hear your thoughts about prepaying for a funeral. Pros and cons if any.Thinking about prepaying for my Mother but wanted opinions first,Thanks

contender*

RangerJ

Thanks for your reply and the info. I have her plot and details worked out as she wants. She is persistent that I prepay because her brother did,So I am seeking info. Thanks again

contender*

My MIL and FIL pre-payed. It was good to have the financial part taken care of. My mother however refuses to do this, she says that there is too much chance of corruption within the pre-pay funeral business as the articles above also state. I'm on the fence about the whole deal myself. I can't imagine anyone taking advantage of folks in a time like this, but there are all kinds out there...:banginghe I say if you know the funeral director personally and trust him/her then go for it. If not I would be more inclined to set aside the money in a separate account and let it draw interest. You could always talk to a few folks to find out the "going rate". Other than that I hate to tell you to do or not to do, because it's just hard to know what will happen.

Redneck1919

Prepay for funeral?

We prepaid for my mother-in-law and my uncle prepaid his. There were still quite a bit of expense left to pay at the funeral (extras) that were not covered. I am in agreement with Clark Howard on this. I have heard him talking about it on the radio before. Think it is a bad idea.

kgo

Trust me I know what Im saying BE CAREFUL dont think for a second that some folks in the funeral business wont take you just like anyone will do. They will with a smile on there face and a pat on your back.

Bnathanb1982

Cost

I had a friend of mine's husband die in a wreck about a month ago. He did not have any life insurance and it cost 4500.00 to use the funeral home, have a viewing, and get him creamated. Luckily he had a lot of friends that were able to raise the money to cover it. I dont know if prepaying is the best bet with the way places are closing down but having enough life insurance or money put away in a account like someone else said is definatley worth it. Nobody wants to have to "finance" a funeral.

My grandmother prepaid. We actually got a little bit of money back after the funeral. We had no problems with it, but it was also a funeral director that our family has used many times over the last 20 years and trusted completely.

CAL

I prepaid for my aunt.Worked out perfectly,no problems.But like Eddy,we knew the director for more years than can remember.With prices going up everyday,it worked out nicely.

My father pre-paid for two of his siblings (my aged aunts who were widows), and there weren't any real problems. I would recommend it. Only potential problem is that one funeral home wanted to sell a lot of add ons when service was required-- sort of like buying a new car-- but we just told them to do whatever was in the contract.

Oddly, he did not pre-pay for his own funeral, but he did buy and pay for 6 plots together in a cemetery.

I think as long as you deal with a long time local funeral home, you are in pretty good shape. I for sure wouldn't buy anything off line or out of town.

I haven't heard any real horror stories.