What draws you?

ScLowCountry

It feels like a "real" gun. It's heavy and made of metal, so feels sturdy and doesn't recoil much. They are smooth shooting and just beautiful pistols

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

I didn’t buy my first 1911 until I was 35. In fact, I never had a desire to own one. My grandpa was in ww2 and Korea and all of his guns he had, he never had a 1911 in his collection. My dad was in the army and he never had a 1911 in his collection either. In fact, I don’t think anyone in my family that owned guns, owned a 1911 that I’m aware of. So I wasn’t brought up on them, which is why I didn’t care about ever owning one. Then came the internet and the gun forums and all this 1911 talk. I thought “maybe one day I’ll get one but I don’t care if I don’t.” Then I won an auction on gunbroker for my first ever 1911. I got it at a steal too. Took jt out and played with it and shot it. “Ok so maybe I do see what all the fuss is about now”. I’m not a 1911 addict but I do own a Colt 70 series and it’s one of my favorite guns.

Lilly001

The 1911 is like the pistol version of the AR platform.
Just get a frame and then build what you want.
Maybe not as many options, but a similar customizable platform.

Dub

Dub , I guess the closest thing I have to your description is my Sig Sauer P220 45 acp made in West Germany. All metal except the aftermarket grips I put on it.

That is a sweet gun.

The P220 is a great pistol.

Yours has given you an idea of what the recoil will be like in a .45 1911....the single action trigger will have you grinning.

Lots of recoil spring options for the 1911, too. Once you get settled in on a load you may benefit on customizing the spring weight for optimum performance.

rosewood

The gun marketers have played games with us. Manufacturers all went to the Glock size pistol, width etc. In the last few years they came out with these narrow grip, narrow slide guns to be easier to conceal carry. If you start checking, you will find the new "narrow" guns are about the same width as the 1911s.

The 1911 points naturally, it isn't pointing at the sky when you pick it up like a Block. It is pointing at your target.

Rosewood

Geezer Ray

The gun marketers have played games with us. Manufacturers all went to the Glock size pistol, width etc. In the last few years they came out with these narrow grip, narrow slide guns to be easier to conceal carry. If you start checking, you will find the new "narrow" guns are about the same width as the 1911s.

The 1911 points naturally, it isn't pointing at the sky when you pick it up like a Block. It is pointing at your target.

Rosewood
This I like,,,
The 1911 points naturally,

rosewood

And as this thread came along, I have a chance at a sweet deal on a Rock Island 10mm...

I don't have a 10mm 1911.. :unsure:
Well, get on it!

frankwright

I think anyone that likes guns should own a 1911 in .45!
They are a classic, well designed and a fun gun to shoot.

I have had several different ones but now I have a Kimber 5" .45 and a Tisas 4.25" in .45.
I had a 3" in .45 and in 9 mm and they have all been great guys.

They are heavy to carry but I don't feel underpowered with 8+1 and a few extra mags.

rosewood

fauxferret

From a purely objective point the biggest thing that draws me to a 1911 is the customization that one can attain from such a sidearm. Literally everything can be done to such or can be attained from the factory depending on how much money you spend. My biggest gripe about the 1911 is the cocked and locked configuration. My reasoning for that is a lot of safety issues for first time and even some experienced buyers, who have only had experience with striker or DA guns. My biggest gripe is the lack of capacity in the 45 ACP configuration. I have several 1911's and they are relegated to running subsonics with a can and or bowling pin competitions. I will admit if you actually truly build one from parts and pieces it will teach you a lot about actually being a gunsmith and what it truly means to tune a firearm for optimum performance. Ironically the 1911 platform is one where you still truly do have to do this. Most of the modern handguns and rifles are drop in fit and need minimal fitting. I will say you'll ruin a few sears trying to get that glass rod break on a trigger but once you do, that satisfaction is hard to argue.

rosewood

My reasoning for that is a lot of safety issues for first time and even some experienced buyers, who have only had experience with striker or DA guns. My biggest gripe is the lack of capacity in the 45 ACP configuration.
Personally, I find the striker fired guns more dangerous for newbies. They feel safer when they have a safety to turn on and off.

There are lots of double stack 1911s out there. Granted they are large grips. I have 2 P16s (16 rounds) one in 10mm and the other in 9x25 Dillon. 1 P14-45 (14 rounds) in 45 ACP and a Compact sized P12-45 in 45 acp alloy frame. I know Para was ruined by Remington along with other gun companies, but RIA still makes double stacks and there are other companies that do also.

Rosewood

rosewood

This one is a single stack 8+1, but I made the deal. Just couldn't hep it, couldn't hep it...
Been toting my P16-10 as my woods gun for 20+ years, can't recall ever firing more than 2 rounds even though it holds 16. 18 with the extended base plate. I do have them if I need them. :)

I do own 2 single stack 1911 45s however. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

Rosewood