What draws you?

Geezer Ray

First let me say I have never shot a 1911. I have full size Glock and Sig Sauer in 45 caliber and I enjoy shooting both. Thinking I might be interested in a 1911, so what is it about a 1911 that seems to draw people to it? What's your idea of pros and cons?

jglenn

Done right it will easily out shoot your other pistols. Best trigger ever when done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Limited to 7-8 rounds. Heavier than plastic pistols..

Dub

Proven design.

A piece of American fighting history in your hand.....especially if you buy an American made 1911.

Super sweet trigger.

Stability and comfort when shooting.....and stability and comfort when carrying IWB, provided you have a proper gun belt and well designed holster.

Most manufacturers now have the 9mm feeding & functioning correctly in their 1911 offerings. Makes for a very affordable and smooth shooting experience. Some decent carry loads available in 9mm, too.

Grip enhancement on front strap and mainspring housing....or smooth.....your call.

Side panels can be had in smooth to cheese grater surfaced....your call.

Trigger shape and lengths can be experimented with.

Super comfortable beavertail grip safety....or original style grip safety....your call.

Sight options, too.

Square butt, round butt, bobtail or magwell mainspring housing....your call.

Lightweight alloy frame or steel frame.

5" or 4.25" slide length. (You can find them as short as 3", but you'll need to be prepared to tinker with them for reliability. Too temperamental for my tastes.)

The only drawback is going to be pricing. These are not stamped out plastic injection molded grip frames with minimalist rail carriages and pieces assembled from parts bins. That is Glock's forte, and they do that well.

1911's are made of parts that require fitting together by someone who knows what they are doing. You will not find a lasting quality 1911 for the price of the plastic fantastics. For plastic pricing in the 1911 world you get something that will likely shoot loose prematurely, uses substandard parts and assembled to wide tolerances. American made, at least. (Philippines-made Rock Island Armory has a reported solid reputation for customer service....I have one, arrived with some issues that I corrected. Generally the RIA offerings are not forged frames & slides...this may not bother you. The other foreign makers that are getting a lot of talk are generally companies in Turkey. I have no desire for a Muslim-made 1911....again...they may not bother you).

Hillbilly stalker

Out of all the handguns Ive ever shot….I can shoot a 1911 the best. There’s something about one that just feels right in a man’s hand. You can tell you are holding a real pistol and you will instantly be filled with confidence after the first clip. Im talking about a metal gun, not a plastic one. The 2 I shot the most belonged to Uncle Sam, half wore out and rattled like a second hand Harley……but would K-5 every round if you done your part. Don’t forget the 1911 is back to back WWI & WWII champs. :rockon:

Geezer Ray

Proven design.

A piece of American fighting history in your hand.....especially if you buy an American made 1911.

Super sweet trigger.

Stability and comfort when shooting.....and stability and comfort when carrying IWB, provided you have a proper gun belt and well designed holster.

Most manufacturers now have the 9mm feeding & functioning correctly in their 1911 offerings. Makes for a very affordable and smooth shooting experience. Some decent carry loads available in 9mm, too.

Grip enhancement on front strap and mainspring housing....or smooth.....your call.

Side panels can be had in smooth to cheese grater surfaced....your call.

Trigger shape and lengths can be experimented with.

Super comfortable beavertail grip safety....or original style grip safety....your call.

Sight options, too.

Square butt, round butt, bobtail or magwell mainspring housing....your call.

Lightweight alloy frame or steel frame.

5" or 4.25" slide length. (You can find them as short as 3", but you'll need to be prepared to tinker with them for reliability. Too temperamental for my tastes.)

The only drawback is going to be pricing. These are not stamped out plastic injection molded grip frames with minimalist rail carriages and pieces assembled from parts bins. That is Glock's forte, and they do that well.

1911's are made of parts that require fitting together by someone who knows what they are doing. You will not find a lasting quality 1911 for the price of the plastic fantastics. For plastic pricing in the 1911 world you get something that will likely shoot loose prematurely, uses substandard parts and assembled to wide tolerances. American made, at least. (Philippines-made Rock Island Armory has a reported solid reputation for customer service....I have one, arrived with some issues that I corrected. Generally the RIA offerings are not forged frames & slides...this may not bother you. The other foreign makers that are getting a lot of talk are generally companies in Turkey. I have no desire for a Muslim-made 1911....again...they may not bother you).
Let me guess,,,,,,,,,you have one.

transfixer

Currently don't own one, but they are the the best feeling, most pointable handgun I've ever owned or shot, with the Browning Hi-power coming in a close second ! and a well made one can be the most accurate handgun as well ! "if" there is a downside to one it would be the limited capacity compared to current other models, or the weight of an all steel .45 1911 can be a bit heavy for daily carry , doesn't bother many people though

Reactions: Dub

Geezer Ray

4.25", 5", fixed rear, adjust rear, steel frame, allow frame.....in three different calibers each.

Have 1911's in 9mm, .38 Super, 10mm and the World War winning .45acp.

When it comes to 1911s.....I have been.....financially irresponsible. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I knew you did. i been round here bfour.

• Haha

Geezer Ray

Dub , I guess the closest thing I have to your description is my Sig Sauer P220 45 acp made in West Germany. All metal except the aftermarket grips I put on it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you shot my S/A RO 1911 in 9mm
don't you remember trying to twist my arm to take it home with you.

I understand you would want to put that outta ur mind...one rabbit hole at the time :cool:

• Haha

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
FN-45 here...
I did have a series 80 delta elite .45acp back in the day right before the 10mm came out.
It was magic but I was young and dumb and traded it for a FN mannlicher .270.