apologetics from the other view.

stringmusic

For the guys that are not Christian. What do you believe why do you believe in it? Also if you care to explain, how did you come to the conclusions you have?

Achilles Return

I lack belief in gods. I reject faith as a means towards understanding the world - and there is no deity that satisfies both logic and reason.

I came to this conclusion through careful observation of society and rigorous study of christian doctrine (I was raised christian).

I was raised in a Christian household and went to church every Sunday and Wednesday. I am agnostic. In other words, I don't know for sure whether a god exists or not and you don't either. Logic and reasoning got me to that answer.

TTom

Hey I qualify as not Christian so I can answer this one.

I believe in a supreme being that has many names and manifestations in different parts of the world. I believe man's attempts to know Him/Her (God lacks an actual gender in my mind but that's tough to put into words) have resulted in huge misunderstandings of what he intends for us to do and how we are to act.

I was raised in a home with a nominally Catholic Mother and a Southern Baptist non practicing Father. They encouraged me to explore religion and to make up my own mind about what was true and what was not. I did just that.

I spent time in churches of various denominations and explored beliefs of 5 or 6 different major religions before I left high school including a year or so in a Charismatic Pentecostal church.

I've noted the similarities and differences in the doctrines read the histories and know that most religions have had their periods of fanaticism and funadmentalist bigotry leading to abominations including genocide and torture of infidells/ non believers, those of other faiths. Non of the faiths I have found have avoided this type of behavior that I cannot attribute to any God. Hindu, Muslims, Jews, Christians... have all at times been guilty of this type of abomination.

My conclusion is that NONE of the faiths on the face of this Earth have developed enough to have it all figured out.

stringmusic

I lack belief in gods. I reject faith as a means towards understanding the world - and there is no deity that satisfies both logic and reason.

Do you think not having faith has help in your understanding of the world?

I came to this conclusion through careful observation of society and rigorous study of christian doctrine (I was raised christian).

what part of the Christian doctrine turned you away? It could not have been all of it

stringmusic

I was raised in a Christian household and went to church every Sunday and Wednesday. I am agnostic. In other words, I don't know for sure whether a god exists or not
when do you plan on finding out?
and you don't either.
yes i do.:banana:

TTom

Wow ask a question and then when it is answered, treat them and their answers that way.

You wonder why we have such a poor opinion of Christians?

stringmusic

Wow ask a question and then when it is answered, treat them and their answers that way.

You wonder why we have such a poor opinion of Christians?

can you quote something that I said that was rude?

TTom

You dancing banana ridiculed his position that we don't know (based on evidence not faith)

I'm sure you'll deny the intent to be rude. I'll be honest and tell you I won't believe you.

stringmusic

You dancing banana ridiculed his position that we don't know (based on evidence not faith)
my dancing banana was a little poke for me saying"yes I do", didn't realize I was being rude. I was not ridiculing his position.

I'm sure you'll deny the intent to be rude. I'll be honest and tell you I won't believe you.

why do you have such a hard time believing?

VisionCasting

Achilles Return

The world would be a better place if people extended some grace and didn't get their feelings so easily bruised.

You mean like if christians here didn't secretly assume that the atheists are looking for intellectual superiority and just wait for the moment to call them out on it? Extending grace like that?

drippin' rock

For the guys that are not Christian. What do you believe why do you believe in it? Also if you care to explain, how did you come to the conclusions you have?

Faith is a hard thing to come by. For the last 2000 years or so, that is what Christians have had to fall back on to keep going. As we advance as a society and intellectually, it becomes easier to explain what would have been solid proof of God's existance 150 years ago.

I'll leave the dancing banana for the next guy.:D

stringmusic

When? I don't have a set date as to when I plan to die. Do you?

no I don't have a set date, I was just wondering when you planned on finding out that God exists, but you answered my question, after you die and it is to late. I hope and pray that you find out before that.

No. You don't know that your god exists any more than the Greeks knew that Zeus existed.
:banana::banana::banana::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

want to know the difference between Zeus and God? They teach about Zues in public schools!

oh and you hurt my fewwings wif all your nanners.:cry::cry::cry:

stringmusic

When? I don't have a set date as to when I plan to die. Do you?

No. You don't know that your god exists any more than the Greeks knew that Zeus existed.
:banana::banana::banana::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

He is YOUR God too, you just have not realized it yet, God is everybodys God. He would not be God if this were not true.:pop: