HVAC - Heat Pump Help

NOYDB

BANNED
Bryant heat pump. When set to heat doesn't. Aux heat comes on. Outside coil doesn't freeze but large copper tube frosts up.

AC seems to work fine.

Suggestions before I place service call.

maker4life

Sounds like the reversing valve isn't disengaging . Could be low voltage , you can take the wire loose from the coil on the valve to test it .

maker4life

If you take the wire loose from the coil and it disengages then you know you it's a low voltage problem . Could be the thermostat or a t-stat wire touching .

If you're not sure about the wire going to the coil just take the orange tstat wire loose on the condensing unit .

NOYDB

BANNED
The outdoor coil does not freeze. The large tube going into the house will build up to ice after several hours. As best I can tell there is no heat being sent to the air handler in the attic.

If the valve is stuck is there any way to un-stick it short of replacement?

NOYDB

BANNED
If you take the wire loose from the coil and it disengages then you know you it's a low voltage problem . Could be the thermostat or a t-stat wire touching .

If you're not sure about the wire going to the coil just take the orange tstat wire loose on the condensing unit .

I will double check wiring. Had mice. Had to re-run the wires from the attic to the outside.

If I dis-connect the coil, how will I know the valve is released? Re-connect and let it run?

maker4life

I will double check wiring. Had mice. Had to re-run the wires from the attic to the outside.

If I dis-connect the coil, how will I know the valve is released? Re-connect and let it run?

You'll hear it release and the big line that was icing will get hot .

The valve just reverses the flow of the freon . If it's not reversing then it's still operating in the cooling cylce and if the temps are low enough that will cause the suction line to ice . The reversing valves don't fail very often and it's usually something voltage related .

NOYDB

BANNED
You'll hear it release and the big line that was icing will get hot .

The valve just reverses the flow of the freon . If it's not reversing then it's still operating in the cooling cylce and if the temps are low enough that will cause the suction line to ice . The reversing valves don't fail very often and it's usually something voltage related .

Ok, I will start by re-checking all the wiring. I tried to be extra careful. wrote everything down and took pics. But still could have mis-connected something. Then I will check coil and see what I get. I may be back later for more advice.

I don't mind paying my AC guy, he's always done me right. But I hate to call him for little stuff if I can fix it myself.

NOYDB

BANNED
Ok, disconnected the orange wire and the valve released. In heat mode the tubes are too hot to touch. Hot air blowing inside.

Re-connected wire, heat still works.

Turned off and let sit for a few minutes then switched to AC, working.

Am I correct in thinking that this points to the coil? Any additional tests? (I do have a multimeter)

Any suggestions on where to track down a part number, besides taking the fool thing apart?

maker4life

Doesn't sound like the coil . The coil energizes on the valve to switch it back to cooling . As long as you're not getting 24 volts between orange and common(should be blue) on heat and it seems to be working I'd let it roll . May have just been hung up .

coltday

I've seen them hang up many times, it may never do it again, or it you may have that problem in the future.

NOYDB

BANNED
Follow up.

My AC guy came out and it was low on coolant.

He's a fellow outdoors person and we talked guns and bows and hunting. I placed the call late yesterday afternoon and he made time to be here first thing in the morning. He's always on time or in contact when he's promised. If you need a referral in the N Metro area PM me.

Harlee

Follow up.

My AC guy came out and it was low on coolant.

He's a fellow outdoors person and we talked guns and bows and hunting. I placed the call late yesterday afternoon and he made time to be here first thing in the morning. He's always on time or in contact when he's promised. If you need a referral in the N Metro area PM me.

Your unit may very well have been low on "refrigerant", however this would not cause the problems you describe.

NOYDB

BANNED
Your unit may very well have been low on "refrigerant", however this would not cause the problems you describe.

Yeah, we discussed that. But it was working and metered out correctly.

May have been just stuck and needed a kick. We'll see.

Oldstick

Yeah, we discussed that. But it was working and metered out correctly.

May have been just stuck and needed a kick. We'll see.

I had one do exactly that years ago. The outside magnetic coil was working but the internal valve would stick and not slide back to the heat position everytime the system finished a defrost cycle in winter. I would have to go out and tap on the valve with something and it would slide back to heat.

At least for a while it did, then eventually that quit working and they had to replace the valve.