Storage shed build ideas...

FurFeathers&Scales

Ok, so after looking all over the place locally, I can't bring myself to pay the $5K people want for a shed. As mentioned in a previous thread, I know the materials are only $2-2,500 max for what I want to build. My questions are all centered around finding somewhere (another forum maybe) that is focused on building one. I know people build them all the time, but I can't find anywhere with any information. I am not in the buisness of construction, so I don't know much about it, but am handy enough to understand general information. My cousin works in construction and has voulenteered to help so I am confortable with his and my ability. Any advise on where to look for ideas, plans, others that have built, etc?? Thanks!

(I will be building this shed, a 16 x 24, on cap block as a non-permanent building-so I won't have to pay tax on it!)

rayjay

There are lots of shed builds on youtube. You can also find books at the library. I thought about building something like a 20x20 on piers but ain't done it yet. Actually I'm doing some interior renovation/remodeling right now and next spring I HAVE to start painting the exterior of the house. Ain't got time to build no shed fer at least 2 years plus I gotta spend about $2500 + having trees taken down where the shed would go:banginghe

Jim Baker

Staff member
Ok, so after looking all over the place locally, I can't bring myself to pay the $5K people want for a shed. As mentioned in a previous thread, I know the materials are only $2-2,500 max for what I want to build. My questions are all centered around finding somewhere (another forum maybe) that is focused on building one. I know people build them all the time, but I can't find anywhere with any information. I am not in the buisness of construction, so I don't know much about it, but am handy enough to understand general information. My cousin works in construction and has voulenteered to help so I am confortable with his and my ability. Any advise on where to look for ideas, plans, others that have built, etc?? Thanks!

(I will be building this shed, a 16 x 24, on cap block as a non-permanent building-so I won't have to pay tax on it!)

If your cousin is in construction and you are handy go to a shed lot and look at how they are built. Draw up a set of plans showing floor plan, a front and side elevation veiw and take it to HD or Lowes or any good home materials store. They will give you an estimate of materials .

You can plans for shed by googling.

As for it not being a permanent building because it is on cap blocks and not paying taxes, I wouldn't count on that. You might want to look in to what your county requires in the way of building permits, zoning requirements and possible deed restrictions. Check with the tax assessors office about what qualifies as a "non-permanent structure or building.

If you are far enough and deep enough in the woods you might get away with not getting a build permit, but you might want to check into the fines for not doing so.
The build permit will bring out the Building/Zoning inspector and the tax appraiser.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master

Actually most municipalities assess permits based on square footage or power and plumbing for utility buildings, not permanence of the structure. Typically under 600 square foot is safe, unless you are going to run power or water to it, then a permit is needed. Also keep in mind that most tax assessor's offices do annual surveys of properties via Google Earth now, so if a new roof shows up on your lot and appears to be over the restrictions where a permit should have been required then they will gig you for it. At the very least they will factor it into your property taxes at some point. If you have a spot under some Pines you can usually avoid that quandary.

Garden Web has a Tool Shed forum @
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/tools/

You can also glean a little information from some of these other sites;

http://www.secrets-of-shed-building.com/

http://www.mybackyardplans.com/storagesheds.php

http://storageshed-plans.com/?hop=pedagonet

http://just-sheds.com/Free_shed_plans.htm

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would just build a floor frame of 2x8s on 16" centers, level it on the blocks, cover it with 3/4" plywood, frame 2x4 walls with T-111 siding, 2x6 ridgepole, 2x4 rafters, 1x4 furring strips, and a tin roof. You can frame the walls laying flat on the floor, then stand them up and fasten them down. Shouldn't be too hard.

shakey gizzard

I would just build a floor frame of 2x8s on 16" centers, level it on the blocks, cover it with 3/4" plywood, frame 2x4 walls with T-111 siding, 2x6 ridgepole, 2x4 rafters, 1x4 furring strips, and a tin roof. You can frame the walls laying flat on the floor, then stand them up and fasten them down. Shouldn't be too hard.

This! wont get any cheaper unless you use tin instead of t111. Dont forget about doors and windows!

FurFeathers&Scales

Thanks for all the info and help... I have checked in on the tax accessors and as long it is not a fixed structure and under 640 sq ft I think, I am good. I am going to run a water hose and extension cord out there for the first year and then run power and water after. Those websites are what I was looking for. I have been google'ing around, but there is a lot of crap-o-la to wade through!

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Just make sure everything is "level & square", I can NOT say that enough, level & square, level & square!:rofl:

FurFeathers&Scales

Trust me... after my recent home remodel-you don't have to say a word. I think I say it in my sleep now, except mine is "I wish that was level and square!"::; :bounce: :bounce:

rayjay

If the site you have chosen is big enough [ and ya gots da money ] I would make the shed bigger than 16x24. 24x24 would be my choice.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
or.....on the other hand, you can get one of those metal carports installed for about $900 bucks.

they'll handle all the permits, etc.

when that's done, you can add the sides in your own sweet time.

that way, the 'man' knows about it, and you're safe....

Shug

Always build it a little bigger than you think you need. It's better to have to much space {although I've never had that problem} than to little

shakey gizzard

or.....on the other hand, you can get one of those metal carports installed for about $700 bucks.

Mathmatically this if possible!:biggrin3: I fixed it!

thomas the redneck

or.....on the other hand, you can get one of those metal carports installed for about $900 bucks.

steve has the right idea BUT many of the out fits that build the carports will do them any way you want them saw one not long ago that had sides and ends on it with a roll up door on one end and a walk thru door on the other
just like a detached garage