Need Urgent Alltel Cell Phone Service Advice

JohnBenoit09

My family has been an Alltel customer ever since the old car bag cell phones came out years ago. I have always bragged about how wonderful Alltel’s phone service was for years. I can even remember how Verizon members had no phone reception, but I would have full service out in the middle of nowhere. It now seems like I am having the largest problem with trying to have any reception at all. I understand that Verizon now owns Alltel and there has been some conflict between the two about cell phone towers. I own a Blackberry Bold and now have to charge my phone a minimum of 3 times a day, I have no cell phone service, text messages do not send or receive at times, and I no longer can connect to the mobile internet at all. I am in disbelief because we use to have great service and now I have ZERO. I am located in Fitzgerald, GA but go to college in Valdosta, GA which is what really messes me up. When I go home where an Alltel store is, my internet works, texts send and receive, battery life lasts throughout the day and I have no problems, but when I go back to school it is like I have no phone at all. Its weird how I can call someone with my phone right beside theirs and the call will go through and ring which takes me to their voicemail, but their phone never rings. In summary, it takes me dialing 2 or 3 times JUST for my phone call to go through.

This past week I went home to visit the Alltel store in Fitzgerald to talk about my issue. There is nothing wrong with my phone itself so getting a new phone will do nothing. They told me the reason why my internet doesn’t work is due to my phone switch between the towers in Fitzgerald and Valdosta. Quick fix right? I was given a method to change the ID registration number from 104 to 204 and that should solve all my problems. I have tried for several days and nothing solves the problem for internet access. I can connect to Wi-Fi internet, but not when I am trying to use the mobile internet away from Wi-Fi. They also said the reason for such poor battery life was due to my phone constantly roaming and searching for service which drains my battery. I have tried the *228 and *22801 to try and adjust my phone to other towers, but the activation never goes through or it just simply does nothing.

Here is my question; the earliest time that we can cancel our service with Alltel to switch to Verizon is November 2012. In order to cancel our service with Alltel now would consist of a $200.00 cancellation fee for each phone line. My family has 4 phones on the contract which would mean for us to stop using Alltel would costs us a minimum of $800.00. I have talked with Alltel and questioned them. Why am I paying for your service which I am not receiving and in order to fix the problem I must pay $800.00? I have several friends that I go to school with that are from the Thomasville, GA area that also had Alltel phone service. Their Alltel location understood their problem and agreed to waive the cancellation fee and just allow them to cancel and switch to Verizon. So, with all said above what would you recommend my family to do? My parents and sister aren’t nearly affected with this problem like I am since they are in the range of one of the cell phone towers, but they have experienced serve loss of phone service ever since Verizon bought Alltel. I have told my parents I would be more than happy to switch from my smartphone Blackberry to a cheap flip phone just so they are not having to pay the $30.00 extra a month for my smartphone service since I am not getting the benefit. I know the internet is not a die need to have, but when I am on campus away from the computer and need to look up a word or Google something up for class it is a handy tool to have. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any solutions?

ChiefOsceola

I had Alltel for 15+ years too John. Had the same issues as you with text messages not going through, not being alerted to having a voicemail until 2 or 3 days after receiving it (if at all), missed calls, etc. The Alltel store employees know nothing anymore and seem to have no control at all. I was on the verge of switching to Verizon, but didn't want to deal with the whole 2 year contract mess again in case they were just as bad as Alltel. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I went online and signed up for Straighttalk wireless through Walmart. Depending on which phone you get, it's either on AT&Ts network (didn't want that here) or Verizon (yes...but no true smartphones available). I went with a little Blackberry look-a-like from Samsung ($75, no contract mess) and the $45 phone plan (unlimited phone, texting & internet), and just set it up to my debit card so it renews automatically each month. I've had it for 2 1/2 month so far and I'm happy. The phone has internet, but it's basic...no apps. If you go with one of the Nokia smart phones, you can get the same plan and actually have apps and stuff, but you'd be on the AT&T network...which would be fine in Valdosta...not so much in Fitzgerald.

That doesn't help you at all in getting out the contract though...but I'm guessing if you followed the chain of command up the Alltel ladder and caused enough of a fuss, you could get out of that contract.

j_seph

I am having same issues with ATT, after multiple documented calls they told me that customer service could possibly allow me to get out of contract since service has been so terrible

Dr. Strangelove

I looked it up, it appears that Alltel does not provide service in Valdosta.

You're going to have to get customer service to turn data roaming on for your line. This is expensive for Alltel, so they may just choose to let your terminate your line of service, since most of your use will be out of area. I doubt they will let your whole family terminate service free of charge.

JohnBenoit09

ChiefOsceola sounds like your problems are the same as mine. I am stuck with only Verizon as another carrier to go with since back at the farm Verizon and Alltel are the only service that work in the area (I take that back, Alltel doesn't work like it use to) so Verizon is my best and only option. I know Verizon has good reception in my area back home. If I was to go with a prepaid phone that still requires me to pay Alltel since my contract is still active until next November. I guess my best bet is to call Alltel and work my way up the ladder to try and get this resolved. I was hoping it was just my phone acting up, but I hate its the service carrier.

merc123

Look at your contract. You are paying for a service that you can't get service to... Seems like some kind of loop hole in the contract would allow that to happen.

coltday

I'm from Pearson/Douglas and have had Alltel since Noah built the Ark, well... Since something other than Southern Linc was widely available. I've never had a big problem with Alltel, but lately, I can't text 3/4 of the people in my phone. Its very aggrevating (I know, I know why not just call them) well most of my friends are in college and you never know when someone is in class so texting is generally the safest and quickest. We have a family share plan that started with 900 minutes. A year ago we were rewarded 500 extra minutes for being long standing customers. So bascially, we have 1400 minutes, 15 my circle numbers, FREE weekends NOW including Fridays, nights start at 7. Oh yea, 2 smart phones with unlimited data and text and 2 regular flip phones but one with unlimited texting. Our bill is $185. I've talked to many married couples with only two phones and their bill is over $200. Moral of the story, alltel stinks but noone can offer a package this affordable for my family.

Ribeye Lover

Had the same problem with killing battery until the alltell agent told me to make sure i turn phone off for 1 hour min. in my home area every night. I have had no more problems since then. I used to leave my crackberry on at night when I charged it, now I turn it off. Hope this helps.

Napi

Guess service depends on where you live. Verizon aint much good at home, but it's better than anybody else. We tried Alltel first and it wouldn't work at all at home. If I can make a call from home I have to stand real still. Sometimes just turning your head will lose the call. The thing works fine in town where I don't need it. Our contract is due for renewal. Been thinking about trying the Straight talk.

ChiefOsceola

Guess service depends on where you live. Verizon aint much good at home, but it's better than anybody else. We tried Alltel first and it wouldn't work at all at home. If I can make a call from home I have to stand real still. Sometimes just turning your head will lose the call. The thing works fine in town where I don't need it. Our contract is due for renewal. Been thinking about trying the Straight talk.

With StraightTalk, you're gonna be either using Verizon or AT&T service (depending on which phone you get). So basically, the StraightTalk phone on the Verizon plan would be no better for service than your current one. Sounds like you live in a rural area, so I'd bet AT&T is not the answer either. The only benefit with StraightTalk is no contract and lower prices.