Dog hunt with ( hog-head)

Xrallison

I went hunting with scott( hog head) let me just say this man is first class. I've been like most still hunter that always knock dog hunting. Let me just say I'm accidicted!!

We met Scott yesterday morning and went to the lease me and my 13 year old son. All the guys show up with a boxes full of some of the pretties blue tick,walkers and beagle you could lay eyes on. I didn't know how all this work so as I was unloading the 4 wheeler Scott drew my stands for me and my son. Let me say that of y'all go let him draw for you!! He placed me and my son together on stand 7 and 8. Not knowing how the people around us hunt I choose to put Austin on stand 8 away from everyone. I'm sure they felt the same about us being they didn't know us or how safe we would be. If anything I've ever done in my life I've shown Austin how to be safe with a gun and respect the importance of knowing to make sure of his target.

We get to our stands and they release the dogs and the most beautiful sound comes to thur woods with the deepest of barks. The radio goes off get ready in the big timber area 6,7,8. I hear the dogs get closer them 4 doe run by me into some small planted pines. I go to get Austin to move him near the pines as we start walking back a 6 pointer and a doe comes walking out the pines straight to us. I motion for Austin to drop down!! I drop the 6 Austin shoots and misses th doe. Awesome as could be so when the dogs are still running away from you stay on you stand because the deer will still be there. It was just like still hunting these deer walked out as if you was in a stand they wasn't being chased.

Second stand we drew was tower 8 we step out the truck not knowing what side they was letting the dogs out Dog-water is one of the guys releasing dogs stop by I asked him he said across the road. So we walk in about 50 yards and a huge buck came screaming by on a logging ramp before the dogs was drop out or half the people had got to there stands. They turn out and you hear 15 deer just got up get ready on tower rd. well it started pour rain and we walked back to the truck to get a jacket and you can hear the dogs way off getting closer, I tap my window told Austin let's go here they come! We step in the woods about 20 yard and stop and stand there for a min. I hear daddy deer I see a big doe step out and stop Austin flip his safety off and the doe crunched down like of crap what did I just walk into!! I'm still laughing about that now completely priceless!! Austin let the 00 buckshot fly!!! Guys I'm 5-8 they doe jump as high as I am tall when that 20 gauge went off! I said smoked her son put another one in her well she went down and got back up and started running! It was still raining pretty good at this time we started looking for blood and hair. Well then 4 deer came screaming by about 80 yards thur the pines with 4 dogs behind them I grab the radio told everyone to get ready down on tower 7,6,5 here there come!!! Then I see a lone dog coming behind them I asked on the radio if they want me to catch her and they did! So to help the guys out I catch the dog a sweet heart of a walker if Lindell's. I thought for a min I said hey Austin let take her back to where you shot and see if she picks up where the deer was hit. We did and she hit the trail and was on we walk and walked behind her she lost the trail. Again it was flooding when we shot so blood was hard to find Scott (hog head) and another Scott came and we all looked for blood for a while and couldn't find anything! Austin was sick!! To say the least..

So we head to the next gathering they already have the next catch planned we head out they already drew out stand cause we was tracking Austin deer we held them up. We get to our stands and bout 20 min they turn them out. It was some of the thickest land with small planted pines we found a clearing with a bedding areas and a bunch of trails coming into it, I told Austin set down right here son it's so thick they will funnel thur here with all these trails cause it's so thick. The dogs wasn't picking up any thing and bout that time 2 deer busted thur on us Austin let that little 20 gauge wake all the standers up I grab the radio and told the gas line to get ready here 2 come!!! Dog-water came brought his dog and thur them out and the chase was on and they back track to us. Austin missed the 2 deer as they caught us both by surprise it happen so fast.

Let me just say that Scott and them Guys are first class and he has created a monster in one 13 year old. Austin said daddy just write mr. Scott a check please for next year lol. Scott I will mail you his shirt altho I perferr to deliver it (hint hint) I wanna say thanks alot I've never had so much fun hunting with a group of guys that made us feel like family or like we had been hunting together for 10 years. Austin is still itching to kill his first doe and lord knows you gave him every chance to
Do it just didn't all play into his cards. Guys if Scott answers your pm and invite you and yall don't go you just miss a awesome group of guys and a great time. Again Scott thanks a million buddy I hope you and your family has a merry Christmas

the r.o.c.

im going wednesday with another guy. i absolutely cant wait...never shot anything but #4 & #8 out of the 12 ga. guess id better go get a box of 3" 0-0 ...

Xrallison

Lol I just had my mama call our cousin in ms they said load up dog season starts the 24th of dec Christmas eve thur 17th of jan. Scott has got a piece of heaven in Washington county ga for sure that place has it all for hunting still hunting turkey dogs ducks fishing you name it he got it

swamp hunter

Glad to See Ya,ll have started Smilin and Waving at each other again.
I,m a Still Hunter on a 93 Thousand Acre Dog Club . Everybodys been Beatin on other Hunter s for too long. Dogs ain,t gonna Ruin Your Hunt. Might even run one by Ya,ll ...Relax a bit.
Let me say, Huntin dogs ain,t gonna Ruin your hunt.. Loose Strays I ain,t dealing with. You can spot a Huntin dog. The Owners Proud of Him. got a $150 Dollar Trackin collar and a Bed to Sleep in Tonight.

skeeter1

Glad to See Ya,ll have started Smilin and Waving at each other again.
I,m a Still Hunter on a 93 Thousand Acre Dog Club . Everybodys been Beatin on other Hunter s for too long. Dogs ain,t gonna Ruin Your Hunt. Might even run one by Ya,ll ...Relax a bit.
Let me say, Huntin dogs ain,t gonna Ruin your hunt.. Loose Strays I ain,t dealing with. You can spot a Huntin dog. The Owners Proud of Him. got a $150 Dollar Trackin collar and a Bed to Sleep in Tonight.

amen bother!!!

skeeter1

great story!!

yea thats traditon you miss lose shirt tail !!!!!

but its a heck of a challenge hitin one that is set on cruze control at about 90mph ,lol!!!

shoot i have missed them when they ran up and stop !! lol!!

dogin huntin with a shot gun you have to site it in like you would a rifle , we always set a washin machine up and shot one side at a time with 0 buck , then 00 buck , then 000 buck at about 50 yards to see which has the best pattern for your gun, my paw likes them #4's with the 41 pellets, i like 0 buck for the first two shots backed up with 3 000 buck to reach out there and get them!! if i ain't slowed them down with the first two

try it you will be suprised what the difference in pattern is at 50 yards or further

i have a 870 express with a xxx super full turkey choke that i only shot 0 buck out of or #4s that ain't no joke for long shots when i still hunt or hold the hounds and take a stand!!

glad yall loved it!! ain't no other feelin like them hounds burnin one towards you !!!!

HOG-HEAD

your welcome

hey guys , we had a blast despite the miserable day of rain and wind, it was a pleasure to meet micheal and his son austin , you could tell he and his dad had spent alot of time together in the woods , they were safe courtious and listened to evrything we told them..I wish austin could have gotten himself a doe , but he just kept on smiling with that big ole smile of his.....even though he missed 3 different time...hehehehh...but thats what its all about , spending time outdoors with family and friends....tell you what austin....how about another chance...let me know when your ready....you do owe us a shirtail.....no a whole shirt...keep shooting little buddy..you will get her....i

Grunt-n-bleat

Best story i have heard in a long time..Never been, but it sounds like the epitome of a good time..Good people, good dogs, being in the outdoors...Congratulations! Everyone have a Merry and Safe Christmas!

cuda67bnl

Sounds like a great time!

Xrallison

It's was a blast and Austin said deal Scott the shirt tail is yours. And guys it is a great time and its something everyone needs to try. Id do a live from the tree but I have no service up there

Last edited:

Mark K

Banned
Sounds like an awesome time. But the part about giving up on a wounded deer because it was time to start another drive doesn't seem right. How many other deer were shot and left?? Heck I was all about trying dog hunting til I read this. I'm not pot stirring and I think it would be a great time to spend with family and friends, but it seems like low percentage shots to me.

Xrallison

That deer was looked for almost 2 hours with not the first sign of blood it wasn't to start another drive even had a tracking dog right there looking and 6 people trust me everyone gave It a 100% we just didn't say oh not blood lets move on I mean really I've got 2 150in deer on the wall my son has a 130 he shot this year and a 120in 8 his never killed a doe and I wanted that deer more then anything for him so to think we just said oh we'll let's move on to another hunt is not how it happen I looked long before the rest of the guys showed up they rounded the dogs up and then came to us

Mark K

Banned
I guess I just read it wrong. It does make me think alot of deer are wounded though. Is it possible to shoot slugs?? Maybe a single larger projectile might have better results.

caw caw

Mark, it's not safe to shoot slugs on a drive. Buckshot only due to distance of travel. Everybody wounds and loses a deer at some point. That's life. You learn from your mistake and try not to do it again.

Xrallison

Buckshot only I mean you got Guys 60 yards apart would you want someone shooting a slug if you was on the other side of him? I mean come people there is no emotion in text and it's real easy to read between the lines and miss understand something I mean let all assume not everyone on every post this forum is unethical and is not corcern with the find of a wounded animal. Mark I was like you until wednesday morning til I tried it and I can say it was the best time ie had hunting you try it and you wil see how it works and understand. People who never try it can't grasp how it works. I shot that 6 pointer and he hit the ground as if id shot him with my 06 with the 180g core lokt I shoot there was no wounded deer left there was a dead coyote tho it's a great time held by all and I'm thankful to Scott for the invite and every more proud of his post about of what he thought about my son that means everything to me right there, that my 13 year old son carried himself better then most grown men that he got invited back this Saturday that's a trophy to me right there mean more to mean then any deer I will ever kill. People need to realize there is more to life then pulling the trigger and I can say that when you have Guys like Scott that opens his land up to people he has never met to give them the chance to try something diffrent understands the meaning to that in my eyes

Last edited:

Mark K

Banned
I realize everyone wounds and loses deer, but it would be like knocking the feathers out a dove and it keep flying. If your shooting buckshot your spraying and praying. As far as distance I'ld be will to bet at 100yds you wouldn't want to be shot by a slug or buckshot. I'm just thinking you'll lose more on drives than normal stand hunting, I never really thought about it until I read this post!

Latest posts