Mountain Cur

sprewett

Just gonna say I envy you fellas that hunt squirrel with MTN cur. First time ever today my son and I went with some guys on public land. What's hoot!!!!! We brought 6 homes to clean.
If I ever get another dog it will most certainly be a cur, what a dog!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
What line of curs did they have hunting?

sprewett

What line of curs did they have hunting?
He just said mountain cur, I do know it wasn't a black mouth. Kinda resembled a catahoula. I don't know enough about squirrel dogs to know for certain and honestly if he would have told I might have forgot due to the excitement. His was a puppie that was learning but the other was an amazing dog. I was truly blown away. I grew up running beagles but this was just different.

Hillbilly stalker

Glad y’all had a big time. That’s great medicine for a young boy. Usually sets him on fire. I like a good Mt. Cur, but they are some top notch Feist out there too, you need to try out both. I own and hunt both. (y)

sprewett

Glad y’all had a big time. That’s great medicine for a young boy. Usually sets him on fire. I like a good Mt. Cur, but they are some top notch Feist out there too, you need to try out both. I own and hunt both. (y)
I know a fella that breeds fiest. If I ever get one I would think I would like a cur a bit better just cause of diversity. If wanted to take him/her coon hunting I could. Or will a fiest also tree a squirrel?
The men we went with were bragging big time in fiest today. Explaining how much is string hunt drive they have.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have seen many coon treed by feist, but mostly in the daytime. The only drawback on feist is we have too many coyotes around here to run them at night

Hillbilly stalker

I know a fella that breeds fiest. If I ever get one I would think I would like a cur a bit better just cause of diversity. If wanted to take him/her coon hunting I could. Or will a fiest also tree a squirrel?
The men we went with were bragging big time in fiest today. Explaining how much is string hunt drive they have.
There’s Feist that will tree coon, but they’re not the tool for the job. A cur is better suited for hunting both, but even then they will prefer one over the other. Some curs will completely forget about a squirrel after they get a mouthful of coon. A dog that trees squirrel and coon equally is almost never for sale, they’re hard to find.

sprewett

sprewett , if you were referring to the former Pine Log wma you were correct . The landowners didn't allow nite hunting . I'm just up the road from you . I got a mt cur that will find a coon along .
That's where I read it from last year. And I just assumed it was all of them. Thanks

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
in AFBA, we never allowed the use of locating radios except to look for a lost dog. You weren't allowed to use them to see if the dog was treed. The AFBA has a few different rules to hunt by, but I sure did enjoy putting the dogs in the woods

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Here's the way I see it as a general rule. Take 2 top notch dogs. 1 fiest, 1 cur. If the squirrels are out, a fiest will run circles around a cur. If the squirrels are laid up, a cur will run circles around a fiest.
Not every time and not a "to die by" rule, but kind of a general consensus around folks who mess with em.