Dog hunt with ( hog-head)

skeeter1

Guys I never meant this as bashing. I read what was written and commented. I realize deer are wounded everywhere but it just seems that more deer would be wounded this way. Afterall someone recently started a "Shooting running deer thread" and was bashed to no end. As far as the use of electronics, hate to say it but yes it is against the law as it was written here, (to keep track of dogs - no) but to say deer heading your way, then yes!!

I realize your excited your son got a deer and it was a new experience. Congrats again!! But watch what you write!! That's like saying I was deer hunting today and got a "text" from my son to look behind me and I turned around and shot the biggest bobcat with my "deer rifle"!! I'm now turned on to predator hunting!!

Congrats again and to the club that invited you!!

most all deer are found cause they are dogs tracking them !!!

only in a few cases when the rain starts pouring down right after the deer shot is when you might loose it if it ran way off but that to is rare !!!
this happens to be one of the cases!!

rattleandstrut78

Congrats to Austin.....I used to come on gon all the time but this bashing is the reason I stopped let your fellow hunters enjoy their stories instead of sitting there looking for a thread to derail because in all reality to me the ones that complain are just jealous because they aren't having any luck!!

rattleandstrut78

Oh and my theory on the electronic devices such as cb's being illegal while hunting the gw's around here will contact you on the cb and tell you where to turn out because they have seen deer crossing the road....but again congrats to Austin and his father on being introduced to a new and fun way to hunt deer!!

Dog Hunter

I wish everyone who loves to dog hunt would work together & get The lawmakers to change the rules back like they used to be & do away with the 250 acre deal. DNR really ruined things when they pushed for that law.

Can't say I agree with you on this one. That's part of the reason we are in the shape we are today. Some couldn't police themselves and do the right thing. You can't turn a bunch of long legged dogs loose in a real small block and expect good things to come out of it.

Congrads to the OP. It is a sport that is deep in my roots and I love being a part of it. I just hope that the ones that can't have respect for others will soon get on board before it is a lost sport.

BigDaddy616

Deer Doggin with (Hog-Head)

Had a great hunt yesterday with (Hog-Head) AKA= Scott yesterday. That was my first time, deer doggin and it was a very exciting hunt. Curtis and I had a great time, you all have a great group of guys in the club...well planned and organized! We turned out dogs 3 times I seen plenty of deer, shot one and had a great experience. Thanks again to Hog-Head for letting us go, please let all of your club members know as well.

Jeff

T.P.

Banned
Had a great hunt yesterday with (Hog-Head) AKA= Scott yesterday. That was my first time, deer doggin and it was a very exciting hunt. Curtis and I had a great time, you all have a great group of guys in the club...well planned and organized! We turned out dogs 3 times I seen plenty of deer, shot one and had a great experience. Thanks again to Hog-Head for letting us go, please let all of your club members know as well.

Jeff

Congrats!... :whip::whip: Shot one what??

cuda67bnl

I also need to extend my thanks to Scott for having me at the roost yesterday. And another thanks to John, for hauling me around and sharing his deer with me. I always wanted to see what doggin was about, and now I can check that off my list. Had a great time, just wish we could have gotten on more squirrels when the birds were up. I still owe you some hawking Scott, whenever you're ready. And I hope to get John back out to chase some more. Great day altogether. Thanks again!

Curtis-UGA

Thanks again hog head. Good to know folks like you and the other members of "The Roost" are still around!

bigblocktransam

Great story! Huntin with dogs goes way back, I killed my first deer running dogs in the south fla swamps, now I am member of briar creek, don't forget about them. One thing I notice between still hunting clubs and dog clubs is people seem to come together with a lot of comrodery (sp)? Than in still clubs, alot of still clubs people don't talk about where the deer are and what they seen, some not all still clubs have a competition who's the better trophy killer dogs clubs are a big team where every ones involvement is needed. Ps it's not as easy as some thinks, if have never done it, thinks it's unethical, give it a try I promise u will have a blast!! Who knows I may take some 1 from her with me next year!

Congrats to Austin.

Not to hijack this thread but....I'm a member of a still hunt club and really enjoy it. But I am also very interested in joining a dog hunting club as well.

Is there a listing of dog hunting clubs or can anyone recommend some dog hunting clubs?

Thanks.

Xrallison

I just came back from mississippi on a dog hunt for 3 day and let me tell you it was the most unorganized thing I've ever seen done Scott and thems are safe and the stands are well marked these guys have been put there time in to number stands and you draw tickets to pick stands. The guys I went with in ms they drive in a straight line and the dog men points as he goes by where he wants standers. They dog hunt til noon and you still hunt from 2 til dark. Austin shot at 5 doe and miss on the first drive he ran one by me I missed (lord know I had to hear about that) then yesterday I hit a good buck probably a 130in deer slip in on me we had lots of blood I searched for 8 hours did not find him I was sick!!! Maybe it wasn't a fatel hit. Scott and them as nice tracking system there dog never leave there property these guys have a old school tracking system and it might take them 2 days to find there dog as a matter of fact 3 people pick 4 dogs up and called my cousin to come to there house to get them. I will say this about the people in quitman ms they don't get mad if a dog does get on there property they pick your dog up for and call you I thought that was pretty cool, that wouldn't fly here in ga we know the out come of that without me even saying it. I seen alot of deer in ms had fun and will go back but I think I will be a little more planned when I go next time

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
great story!!

yea thats traditon you miss lose shirt tail !!!!!

but its a heck of a challenge hitin one that is set on cruze control at about 90mph ,lol!!!

shoot i have missed them when they ran up and stop !! lol!!

dogin huntin with a shot gun you have to site it in like you would a rifle , we always set a washin machine up and shot one side at a time with 0 buck , then 00 buck , then 000 buck at about 50 yards to see which has the best pattern for your gun, my paw likes them #4's with the 41 pellets, i like 0 buck for the first two shots backed up with 3 000 buck to reach out there and get them!! if i ain't slowed them down with the first two

try it you will be suprised what the difference in pattern is at 50 yards or further

i have a 870 express with a xxx super full turkey choke that i only shot 0 buck out of or #4s that ain't no joke for long shots when i still hunt or hold the hounds and take a stand!!

glad yall loved it!! ain't no other feelin like them hounds burnin one towards you !!!!

TRUE THAT!
I got the magnum express.............and have kill a pig with #4 Turkey Loads!

NO JOKE!:cool:

harpj1972

I wanna see them ducks a-roostin!! Sounds like a big ol' time. I know a 12 yr old boy and an 8 yr old girl who are in the biggest competition to kill their first deer, who would probably trade in their 4wheelers to see that many deer be-bopping around. I got my money on my daughter. Shoots straighter and a heck of alot more patience. Don't tell Jed I just said that...hahaha

Latest posts