late season calling

struttin n ruttin

This weekend I got on several birds. I would stike one but that would be it. My question to the guys that have been killing these late season Toms, is what have been your techniques?

raymac

Havent changed my calling every 15mins. are so if not hearing much.The bird killed sat.( 5/5/12) morning never gobbled til he was about 100yds from me.Come too think of he only gobbled 2 or 3 times then strutted on in too decoy.

mossyoakpro

It has been my experience on late season birds is to get in as tight as possible so that you are the first "hen" they hear in the morning.....It is usually feast or famine this time of year with either being ran over by a bird or not hearing a single peep.

I killed my final bird saturday morning using the above method of getting in tight and making sure he knew I was ready for some lovin.....

Best of luck the rest of the season!! Stay with it and you will score.

chefrific

Got bird number 3 yesterday by hunting like you would for deer. I'm not hearing them gobble on the roost anymore. I just popped my blind up where I know they have been hanging out/travel, put out some feeding/submissive decoys and soft called every 10 min or so. Purr, cluck, scratch leaves, repeat. All of the sudden after 2 hours, GOBBLE about 20 yards from me. He saw my decoys and ran in.
Perhaps less calling, knowing where your birds travel and patience is key for these late birds.
Here's a pic of the bird from yesterday.
turkey20123001.jpg