.300 Ultra Mag.

hpostelle

Does any one shoot the Remington 300 Ultra Mag. If so What do you think about it? Is the recoil bad? Doesn't Remington make that gun in a Model 7

Handgunner

I don't personally shoot a .330ultra mag. but my cousin does and he swears by it. His food plot is 437 yards long and he takes deer consistantly with it. Anywhere from 15 yards to 437 yards, it drops them where they stand or in very short order.

He shoots 180gr Sciroccos' I think is how it's spelled.

As for the .300 ultra mag in a Model 7? I've not heard if, but if they do, I'm sure that would be a shoulder pounder!

Buzz

I have shot the .300 Ultra Magnum before in a Savage 116. I guess it depends on your definition of recoil, but it's considerable. About 2X what a .30-06 will do to you. The muzzle blast is horrendous. Remember you are shooting a case that is considerably larger than a .300 Winchester Magnum with close to 100g of powder.

It is grossly overkill for Georgia whitetails, but there is the old saying "there is only one kind of dead, there are lots of different kinds of wounded." If you can shoot one well and the blast doesn't bother you, go for it.

The M7 is a short action and is limited to cartridges 2.800" OAL. The UltraMagnum cases require a Magnum length action which can handle a cartridge 3.600" long.

300 remington ultra mag

I shoot the 300 ultra in a model 700 with a wood laminet stock and it is a great gun. You shoot the same gun in a composit stock and there is a lot more recoil. But it is dead on the money at any long range shot. The bullet hits with so much force that the deer just fall over and do not even twitch. My Wife shoots the 300 ultra mag short action in a model 7 remington and is only 120 lbs and she loves it. Both of our guns are wood stocks and that takes a lot of shock away from the shooter. Just make sure that the gun is to your shoulder when you pull the trigger because it will jump back and have a good scope with a good long eye relief. Keith. :bounce: :bounce:

NotaVegetarian

Boy and girls, you all know I love the big magnums. Yes I shoot the .300 RUM, love it. as I have said before a Rem 700 in .300 RUM, pillar bedded wood stock, with a muzzle break is a hard combination to beat. Trajectory charts are good to look at, but in real world situations we are not always shooting from a single horizontal plane. I have taken animals at ranges most would only look and wish they were closer. It will recoil if you think it will, add a quality brake, weight and balance the stock. A mercury recoil reducer can help too. You mainly see them in shotgun applications, but can be fitted in a rifle stock, as someone said already a quality scope. :flag: